What's new

$3k for HT, what would you change? (1 Viewer)

Benjamin.C

Agent
A friend asked me to help him out on his home theater with a $3k budget(speakers and receiver only). I wanted feedback from the board to see if I have missed any good deals going on.

Speakers: Rocket package #3 $1799
Front:RS550
Center:RSC200
Rear:Rss300
As a side note I am still considering axiom packages, any thoughts?

Sub: $600-800
VTF-3 or a svs pb-1

Receiver: Will have to shop these units in the $600 range, 5 channel only.
Sony Strda4es
HK525
Denon 3801 or 3802

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
The Rocket Package is excellent. I have listened to Axioms, but I’ve never done an A/B. My only word of advice on the Rockets is for your friend to determine the location of his surrounds. Those dipoles work best on the sides. If his room layout requires a rear position, then they will work best it they are switched to bipoles. Ask Sean or someone at AV123. They will work with you and your friend to determine if the switch should be made. And they will do the rewiring if you pefer.

That Rocket center is an outstand speaker. One of the best that I’ve heard.

As for the sub, if your friend goes with the Rockets, he might like to wait a bit for either the UFW-10 or UFW-12. I have not heard either sub, but the there have been some posts by beta testers or the UFW-10 that have been very, very favorable. Only drawback was that it might not have enough SPL for a large (< 3,000 cu. ft.) room.

The RS550s are rated down to 40hz (+ or – 3dB) by AV123. In my experience they are flat through about 75 Hz. I mention this, as this should allow your friend to exist without a sub, until the Rocket is out of beta.

I think that the UFW-10 will go for about $400, if you already have a Rocket package. I’m not sure about the UFW-12.

I’m biased with those particular Rockets, as those are the speakers I chose (and I was only thinking of HT). I think that the 550s are very fine HT speakers, but I’m not sure that they would be my choice for 2-channell music. But I’m sure that Axioms would be fine good as well. For sure they will not look as good.

Chris Quinn

Screenwriter
I would also consider an Outlaw 1050 receiver or a Marantz refurbished from their official outlet accessories4less.com. A Marantz 7200 refurb. is $500 a 7300 refurb. is $650.

Kevin_R_H

Stunt Coordinator
Benjamin,

If your friend (and/or his family) doesn't intend to use this system to listen to the radio, then he can save some cash by purchasing an integrated amp (instead of a receiver). The only difference is the lack of tuner (radio).

Kevin

JohnKim

Grip
maybe if you went for the hk525 and wouldnt mind getting a refurbed one from onecall or from hk's ebay account and sprong for a pb2+ for teh sub..that would be killer

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks