What's new

3Hz! (1 Viewer)

Jon D

Stunt Coordinator
The human ear can detect bass well under 20 Hz, given that the volume is high enough. I've been able to detect a 15 Hz sine wave firing out of my SVS. It caused a lot of pressure in my ears (akin to descending under water), but it was beautiful. Extremely low bass can also add that little bit of unnerving energy to soundtracks. As J Fo said, the reason the Haunting is so revered is because of how downright scary some of the low bass impacts are. Titan A.E. has an especially memorable instance of pure subsonic bass that can't be heard at all, but only felt (granted that your in the right room): right after the two huge ice crystals encompass Kale and Akima's ship, an extremely low rumble is *felt* for just a second or two before the bass shifts back up into the audible frequencies. It's extremely impressive, and ominous as hell.

Larry B

Screenwriter
Believe me, there's more than a few seconds of sub-sonice LFE in The Phantom Menace or the DTS version of The Haunting. And just because you can't hear it
doesn't mean you can't feel it. Believe me, once you have a sub that can go that deep, you'll appreciate it when those ultra-low bass notes hit all the more.
Perhaps some day I will come to understand this fascination (dare I say, obsession) with bass, especially deep bass that one almost never hears in real life.

But until such day, I will remain bewildered.

Larry

Mark Seaton

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mark Seaton
Hi John,
yikes. where can i get a sub like that, and for how much?
Some day you will be able to buy it from me or those installers I allow to sell our stuff.:cool:
It isn't going to be cheap. For the money, the ContraBass is still pretty damn hard to beat, especially when you consider the efficiency.

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
I have to agree with those who say 3Hz is more like nonsense in a sub.
In fact you can tick your fingers as fast as 3 times/sec on the table to make a ticking sound (I can), or click your tongue that fast: it has nothing to do whatsoever with audio (or your ears).

Anyone who thinks he "heard" a note below 15Hz has to make sure first he didn't hear it's harmonics. The ear just stops at about 16Hz (different for different people). And below 10Hz, as said, the different "waves" start to become separatedly audible, more like a rattle - which is quite something else than an audible 10Hz, or lower, tone!

And, BTW, most amplifiers won't go lower than 10-20Hz either, so even if the sub channel would go as low as 3Hz (it doesn't), it wouldn't come out.

Cees

Mal P

Stunt Coordinator
Also, perhaps it's not actually that really deep 15hz sound you're hearing, but the distortion caused by the subwoofer.

Cheers,
Mal

John Doran

Screenwriter
Mark,

Some day you will be able to buy it from me or those installers I allow to sell our stuff.

It isn't going to be cheap. For the money, the ContraBass is still pretty damn hard to beat, especially when you consider the efficiency.
well, i can only hope that some day is soon.

and i'm pretty sure that for performance like THAT, i'll find the money.

regards,

- jd

Greg_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
Greg
Perhaps some day I will come to understand this fascination (dare I say, obsession) with bass, especially deep bass that one almost never hears in real life.
But that's just the point... you frequently hear/feel it in real life. E.G: a large truck or train rumbling by, a thunderstorm, any large drum, etc. It's not always about a "kick in the chest" feeling either. An ominous low level rumble can kick in your "fight or flight" instincts (which IMO is pretty cool). There are very few commercial HT subs that can reproduce these tones properly. Hearing one for the first time (for me) was an eye (ear?) opening experience. YMMV...

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks