What's new

3DO File for bankruptcy (1 Viewer)

paul h

Supporting Actor
Considering some of the dross this company has released over the last few years this comes as no surprise. I know High Heat is a series loved by many but i've never played any of that series so have no idea how good they are..

The only 3DO game i can remember enjoying was Return Fire.

DaveGTP

Senior HTF Member
Well, the only good 3do property I can think of is Heroes of Might and Magic. I will definitely miss HOMM.

Plus, I won't be able to laugh at the hilarious Army men reviews in EGM anymore...almost as good as the "rest of the crap" section at the end (where they make review Mary Kate and Ashley games, etc).

EDIT: Looks like it is Chapter 11 Bankruptcy protection that they are filing for, which doesn't mean the end of 3DO.

BrianB

Senior HTF Member
EDIT: Looks like it is Chapter 11 Bankruptcy protection that they are filing for, which doesn't mean the end of 3DO.
They've laid all but 20 (or so) staff off, allegedly, and are actively shopping the company & its properties around.

I honestly can't see any value in the 3D0 name whatsoever right now, just its properties & handful of titles that are in dev (4 Horseman of the Apocalypse, a street racing title, and a motorcycle combat game, correct?).

ChrisV

Second Unit
Well, the only good 3do property I can think of is Heroes of Might and Magic. I will definitely miss HOMM.
Absolutely. I've spent much time with the HOMM games. I remember playing a lot of 'hot seat' and direct phone connection games of HOMM II with my buddies back in the day. Fun stuff.

Dave F

Senior HTF Member
4 Horsemen just got a big writeup in one of the Xbox mags too (XBN or OXM, I can't remember).

-Dave

Rob_Pierce

Second Unit
Looks like it is Chapter 11 Bankruptcy protection that they are filing for, which doesn't mean the end of 3DO.
I look for them to sell off their "major" titles and go away; surely they have some value to someone.

They should have released, "Army Men, Sarge is Cooking the Books" before they died, though.

JamieD

Supporting Actor
High Heat Baseball will hopefully be picked up by someone.. perhaps Microsoft?

Simon_Lepine

Supporting Actor
Well I have been a fan of the Might and Magic and Heroes of Might and Magic series for years, I hope New world Computing will be picked up by someoene else so that it can continue it's legacy. Don't care much about the rest of 3DO, it's not like we'll miss Army Man games

Joseph Young

Screenwriter
Something I've noticed in our local paper. Whenever there's an article related to the video game industry, be it an analysis or a review, trusty Trip Hawkins is always around for a quote or two. Not a surprise, since 3D0 is (was?) just a few miles north of me. But man, I see Trip Hawkins quotes at least once a week in the Merc.

3D0's marketing director confirmed that they are shopping their titles around. He had a real cheery spin on the events. That said, is anyone really surprised?

~j

Peter Manojlovich

Second Unit
I'd love to say I'm sorry about this whole thing, but for a guy who was predicting the demise of the xbox and that it would flop, it's sort of fitting justice that his company is now on the brink of extinction.

BrianB

Senior HTF Member
it's sort of fitting justice that his company is now on the brink of extinction
Yeah, cause the employees of 3D0 really deserve to be unemployed because of their boss's comment. There's more to 3D0 than just one man (obviously). I'm far from a fan of 3D0, but with the industry as it is, I'm disappointed to see any developer/publisher go under right now.

Personally, I'm much more saddended by the Argonaut news.

Scott_W

Stunt Coordinator
HOMM IV was a pretty big letdown, the quality of the previous games wasn't there, and it was extremely buggy. If HOMM is picked up by someone else, hopefully the quality picks up again, as it was a great series.

Peter Manojlovich

Second Unit
Yeah, cause the employees of 3D0 really deserve to be unemployed because of their boss's comment. There's more to 3D0 than just one man (obviously). I'm far from a fan of 3D0, but with the industry as it is, I'm disappointed to see any developer/publisher go under right now.

Personally, I'm much more saddended by the Argonaut news.
Well, if I was a 3do employee, I know I would've been handing out my resume all over town looking to jump from what was clearly a sinking ship for some time now. Trip Hawkins was such an ass about the xbox initially. Instead of thinking like a businessman, and how to make money off the xbox, he predicted failure because his own attempts at introducing a console had failed so miserably. It was like a grudge thing. I couldn't do it, and I'm a real brainy guy, so microsoft couldn't possibly succeed where I failed. So, he didn't bother supporting the xbox, when his company could've used all the cash flow they could get their hands on. IMO, he acted in a financially irresponsible manner.

As for the employees, I'm sure the developers of games like High Heat won't have a problem finding a home somewhere else. I think you're taking my comments too seriously. I have nothing against the employess of 3do, but Trip Hawkins is one of those big egos in the games industry that think everyone should be bowing down to him. He's certainly a major figure in my book, founding EA and bringing out the 3do. But his ego sunk him. How in the world he thought a $700 console was going to cut it, without any major backing from traditional video game providers had me shaking my head. You put out games like the Army Men series, and Portal Runner and you don't realize these are bad games and they won't sell. His comments didn't sink this company, his incompetence did.

I don't know too much about Argonaut's troubles other than I've given up waiting for Malice. I don't think this game is ever going to show.

BrianB

Senior HTF Member
Believe it or not, the Army Men games /did/ sell...

PSXARMY MEN 3DMar-99THE 3DO COMPANY1,238870,271
N64ARMY MEN SARGES HEROSep-99THE 3DO COMPANY20574,853
PSXARMY MEN AIR ATTACKNov-99THE 3DO COMPANY81365,762
N64ARMY MEN SRGES HERO 2Sep-00THE 3DO COMPANY701284,983
N64BATTLE TANXDec-98THE 3DO COMPANY6220,327
PSXARMY MEN SARGES HEROFeb-00THE 3DO COMPANY35209,793
PSXARMY MEN:TEAM ASSAULTDec-01THE 3DO COMPANY5,253172,135
PSXARMY MEN WORLD WARMar-00THE 3DO COMPANY79157,707
PSXBATTLE TANX2: ASSAULTMar-00THE 3DO COMPANY54154,316
N64ARMY MEN AIR COMBATJul-00THE 3DO COMPANY11153,808

Peter Manojlovich

Second Unit
I'm sure they initally did, but, those are all psx and n64 sales stats. And there's a lot more than 10 army men games out there. People have been army menned to death. I thought they were a neat idea when they first came out, but stuff that worked on a previous generation console doesn't necessarily make the transition to the new kids on the block.

I'm not sure at exactly what point 3do went horribly wrong, but when you mention army men games to someone now it almost always results in jeers of derision. Like I say, I thought they were neat when they first came out, but I think that rather fulfilling the promise of the concept, they were just thrown out there to help with the cash flow, and whatever appeal the games might've had just withered away.

Users who are viewing this thread