What's new

3D 3D TV may be dying, but 'Rogue One' 3D Blu-ray is sold out (1 Viewer)

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I'm still not getting from this article or IMDb that the film was shot entirely in 8K. I certainly believe that a large portion of it was, but I just saw Gunn quoted as saying that the entire movie isn't 4K though most of it is. It's not uncommon for films to use lower resolution cameras that are smaller and lighter during select sequences in order to fit the camera in a place that a 4K or 8K camera wouldn't be able to go. I assumed that's what Gunn is talking about. But I think all of this is getting away from the larger point that Disney, to date, has not been a big proponent of 4K. I think it's interesting that Guardians shot in the higher resolution format, but that seems to be more about James Gunn's preferences than a studio mandate. The studio probably doesn't mind 2K - it's less data, which means less expense and time in rendering and processing.

DavidMiller

Screenwriter
Real Name
David Miller
You are totally right about Disney not caring about 4K which was why I was bummed when they bought Marvel. It took a company in Europe to release the 4K version of the Ironman movies. It appears they did an ok job from the reviews I have read from the people that bought the set.

Size was the big reason they went to this 8K camera. “The large sensor size and super high resolution offered by the new WEAPON 8K, combined with its lightweight and compact size open up a whole range of new creative possibilities.”

I have read though that the biggest hold up for Disney moving to 4K releases was Dolby Vision. They don't want to use HDR10 but Dolby Vision for all their releases because of the way it is applied to the film (frame to frame vs whole film). Now while the source of this was a producer that does work for Disney not sure that is totally it. I think you can combine that with their interest in streaming only (one of your comments) and we could be on to something.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
You are totally right about Disney not caring about 4K which was why I was bummed when they bought Marvel. It took a company in Europe to release the 4K version of the Ironman movies.

Personally, I'm not sure that's a purchase I'd be rushing to make - those movies were finished at 2K anyway. For Iron Man 3, I will take the 3D version over a potential UHD. That's gonna be my issue with any Marvel upgrade - the 3D version is most desirable to me across the board, and everything they've done after their first three films (Iron Man, Incredible Hulk, Iron Man 2) has been in 3D.

I have read though that the biggest hold up for Disney moving to 4K releases was Dolby Vision. They don't want to use HDR10 but Dolby Vision for all their releases because of the way it is applied to the film (frame to frame vs whole film). Now while the source of this was a producer that does work for Disney not sure that is totally it. I think you can combine that with their interest in streaming only (one of your comments) and we could be on to something.

Disney does seem to be interested in the Dolby Vision format - it's installed at their El Capitan Theatre in Los Angeles. They've also been the only studio to release a film in Dolby Vision in 3D - all other theatrical Dolby Vision releases by other studios have played in 2D, even when the film was available in 3D in other theaters. So I wonder if they have some kind of partnership going on.

DavidMiller

Screenwriter
Real Name
David Miller
Personally, I'm not sure that's a purchase I'd be rushing to make - those movies were finished at 2K anyway. For Iron Man 3, I will take the 3D version over a potential UHD. That's gonna be my issue with any Marvel upgrade - the 3D version is most desirable to me across the board, and everything they've done after their first three films (Iron Man, Incredible Hulk, Iron Man 2) has been in 3D.

Yeah, I decided to pass as well.

Not sure if they have a deal or not but I have found it weird that they sit on the UHD Alliance:

The UHD Alliance is a global coalition of leading film studios, TV brands, content distributors, postproduction and technology companies that aim to create a unified criterion for premium UHD platforms, from devices to content including next generation features like as 4K resolution, High Dynamic Range, Wide Color Gamut, High Frame Rate and Immersive Audio. The group is composed of DIRECTV, Dolby Laboratories, LG Electronics Inc., Netflix, Panasonic Corporation, Samsung Electronics Co., Ltd., Sharp Corporation, Sony Visual Product Inc., Technicolor, The Walt Disney Studios, 20th Century Fox and Warner Bros. Entertainment

Yet they have not even rumored a release...

CraigF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig
Well, you guys have answered a question I had the other day: should I buy the 3D Marvel titles I don't have, or wait for the 4K packages (possibly with 3D like Passengers). I googled and found no release info for the titles in 4K, wondered why not, and went for the 3D versions. [There is a promo for some Marvel 3D titles at UK amazon, they are cheaper than even the 2D versions in Canada, don't know if it's a "deal" compared to in the U.S.]

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Well, you guys have answered a question I had the other day: should I buy the 3D Marvel titles I don't have, or wait for the 4K packages (possibly with 3D like Passengers). I googled and found no release info for the titles in 4K, wondered why not, and went for the 3D versions. [There is a promo for some Marvel 3D titles at UK amazon, they are cheaper than even the 2D versions in Canada, don't know if it's a "deal" compared to in the U.S.]

Yeah, there's no indication that Disney is going to support the format. They may or may not, but if they've waited this long, I think there's a chance that they could sit it out entirely or at least wait until there's wider adoption.

Re: 4K/3D combos, the only major studio offering 4K/3D combos was Sony, and unfortunately, Passengers was the last combo offered in that configuration. They've just released two films that were originally presented in 3D, which should have been 4K/3D combos, but now have been confirmed for 4K 2D only - Underworld: Blood Wars and Resident Evil: The Final Chapter. Resident Evil was even a native 3D production. There is no standalone 3D release of these titles in the U.S. either. It now appears that Sony no longer supports 3D domestically.

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Historically it took them nearly 2.5 years to enter DVD and 2+ years for BD in any substantial way. Yes that had a few disc here and there esp for Bluray, but almost none of the big guns saw those formats until the bugs were worked out and there was a significant base to draw upon. I don't see they lack of activity in the first 12 months basically of UHD to be any different.

If by the end of 2018 they haven;t made any progress then I'll take that as a sign, but for now it's just Disney being Disney

CraigF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig
^ Disney being Disney means they have a pretty good handle on the market cash-cows, and this one isn't mooing enough for them yet. Or more likely, why milk it once now when you can milk it several times in a short while with more segregated releases. Disney needs more cows in its films.

3D Projectionist

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Lenny
Talking about Rogue One 3D I've just found the triple disc set in a local trade in store for £12, apparently it doesn't take that long for them to become available store returns and as new. Look forward to running that in 3D when we get further down the pile.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks