3D Movies

Discussion in 'DVD' started by JohnOPR, Feb 6, 2005.

1. JohnOPR

JohnOPR Stunt Coordinator

Back in the 1950's, several feature length movies were made in three dimension. "Hondo" with John Wayne and "The Mad Magician" with Vincent Price are a couple that come to my mind...but there were a few more. I wonder if any studio will release these onto DVD in the 3D format?

2. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart Lead Actor

Patrick McCart
    Hondo is coming from Paramount soon (along with other Wayne films owned by his estate).

3. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    I don't believe Hondo will be released in the 3D format.

4. Peter Apruzzese

Peter Apruzzese Producer

Peter Apruzzese
    There were around 50 features made and released in polarized dual-projection 3-D during the golden age of 3-D, 1952-1955. The only way to really see these films as intended is to see them on 35mm film via the dual-projection system. Many of the films are startling in their use of depth and shy away from the obvious off-screen trick shots.

5. Gary Palmer

Gary Palmer Stunt Coordinator

I wasn't going to post this, as I'm usually wary of such shameless self-promotion. But there again, what the hell? If I won't do it, who will?

John, you should take a look at the 3-D filmography I recently compiled over at From Script to DVD (cool site - browse a while!). It only covers feature-length titles at the moment, but it's international in scope, and some of these movies you probably never knew existed!! The URL:

http://www.fromscripttodvd.com/3-D_filmography.htm

Enjoy! [​IMG]

6. Steve Phillips

Steve Phillips Screenwriter

THE CREEPS, a 35mm low budget horror film made in 1997 by Charles Band, has just become the first real 3-D feature film released on *legit* DVD in field sequential format.

It's not the greatest film, but it's a start!

7. Chris Dugger

Chris Dugger Supporting Actor

Steve,

Where did you see the info on the "Creeps" getting a 3-d release on dvd?

Dugger

8. Steve Phillips

The CREEPS DVD is available through Amazon, on eBay and via www.3d4yourtv.com

No, I do not work for the company![​IMG]

9. Rolando

Rolando Screenwriter

So how does it work? do we need to buy special glasses? will the ones from a viewing of a 3D movie in theatres work?

10. Steve Phillips

No, you can't use either polarized or anaglyph 3-D glasses to watch these. Field Sequential 3-D requires LCD shutter glasses, which start at about $30.

You'll find info about the required shutter glasses on the site. 3-D shutter glasses are easy to find from various other retailers, some are even bundled with DVD sets. Search on "field sequential 3-D" or "3-D shutter glasses" and you'll find a ton of places that sell them.

11. Gary Palmer

Given that the movie was filmed in the 'over-under' StereoVision format, creating a 2.35:1 aspect ratio, is the DVD appropriately letterboxed? Anamorphically enhanced? Inquiring minds would like to know...

Whatever the case, this is at least a step in the right direction, at least until Sensio comes to its senses and starts selling its own system at a great deal less than $3000!!... [​IMG]

12. RolandL

RolandL Producer

Roland Lataille
    I believe it's 1.33:1.

13. Steve Phillips

A bit wider, more like 1:66 to 1, as was the previous version aired on the defunct 3DTV Channel. Letterboxed only. The word is that this cropping was necessary to hide some problems that occured during shooting, but I of course have no way of confirming that. I do know the director of photography supervised the video transfer.

The company is aware that fans want any future films in OAR, but this one might have been out of their hands. The previous flat 2-D DVD was 1:33 to 1.

14. Gary Palmer

I appreciate what this particular company has done in putting out this title, thereby 'setting the ball rolling' (hopefully, other - better - films will make it to DVD in field sequential). And I also appreciate that the film's DP was responsible for overseeing the video transfer. But cropping the image from 2.35 to 1.66 seems more than a little drastic, and has put me off even thinking about buying the disc. What could possibly have been so 'wrong' with the original photography that such major re-composition was deemed necessary for home video? Had they cropped to something like 2:1, that would have been acceptable, but 1.66 is too great an alteration. Until a proper explanation is forthcoming from the company, I'm afraid I won't be supporting this release. And I say that with huge reluctance, because they've obviously tried to do the right thing...