3D movies on DVD?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by John_Berger, Aug 5, 2002.

1. John_Berger

John_Berger Cinematographer

I couldn't really find a discussion about this in the forum, so I'll just ask.

I know that IMAX has released two sets of movies that have the equipment to view the DVDs in 3D; however, I can't seem to find any beyond IMAX.

Have any other movies been released in 3D on DVD? If so, are the effects done using the regular red/blue anaglyph glasses?

I would imagine that DVD would be an absolutely fantastic medium to provide 3D movies, with the higher resolution and with larger-screen TVs becoming the norm, even to the extent of have the 3D and the "regular" version on the same DVD.

Anyone? Anyone? Beuller?

2. David Lambert

David Lambert Executive Producer

Try this thread on for size first, John! [​IMG]

3. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

John's post might get buried in all the other posts if we merge it to the previous thread.

John, if you order the excellent disc of the documentary Trinity and Beyond: The Atomic Bomb Movie, there's a superb supplement/extra featuring a nuclear detonation in 3-D; the green-and-red lenses are included with the package. Even without the 3-D demo, this disc is well worth owning.

4. John_Berger

Okay, I'll narrow down the criteria.

I despise horror films. Are there any non-horror 3D DVDs out there beyond IMAX?

5. John_Berger

6. Steve Phillips

Steve Phillips Screenwriter

3-D movies on DVD:

ANAGLYPH (red/blue glasses):

Comin' at Ya!
    The Bubble
    Trinity and Beyond (portions)
    Freddy's Dead (portions; only with box set)
    Four Dimensions of Greta (portions; R2)

FIELD SEQUENTIAL (LCD glasses required):

Ultimate G's
    Encounters in the Third Dimension
    Haunted Castle
    Alien Adventure
    Camp Blood
    Hunting Season
    Zombie Chronicles
    Erotek (adult)

More to come....

7. Daniel Kikin

Daniel Kikin Screenwriter

Here's an interesting article from today's New York Post on this topic:
    TV's Next Step

8. Steve Phillips

The article about DDD and their new miracle system is just more hype from them. They've been out there making all sorts of claims about how they can convert flat movies to 3-D, and to say that is wild exaggeration is an understatement. Someone claims this every few years, and we have yet to see any evidence.

The displays they have are interesting and I can see them being used in POP displays and advertising, most impressively with material shot in 3-D. I've seen some actual 3-D material in their demos, and you can see it without glasses in a limited way.

We are still a long way off from practical 3-D of this type and from converting flat movies to a real stereoscopic format. If (probably when) it does happen, do you think it will cause a big stink like coloriaztion did?

For the meantime; the best way to see 3-D at home is with field sequential glasses.

Do we need an ultimate 3-D thread?

9. Brian Kidd

Brian Kidd Screenwriter
    Supporter

I do think that it will cause a stink, but as long as the original is still readily available, I don't see a problem. Field-sequential is the way to go. It has the absolute best 3D effect. You REALLY have to have a jonesing for the 3D, though, as it's expensive.

10. Steve Phillips

I don't really think field sequential 3-D is that expensive. I mean, you can get a driver box, two pairs of glasses and three 3-D DVDs for under $60.00 in the IMAX sets, and these are often discounted even further.

The IMAX movies are kind of lame to me, though. they really don't show off the system very well. I use the system to watch real 3-D movies like HOUSE OF WAX, etc. If you look around, you'll find a lot of 3-D movies out there, but still mostly on tapes at this point.

11. Jeff_P

Jeff_P Stunt Coordinator

Has anyone heard of NIGHT OF THE LIVING DEAD 3D? Read the article below which I read on Cinescape's site. You can also view the article here
    NIGHT OF THE LIVING DEAD to get 3D treatment on DVD
    Here’s a retro use for DVD technology. Razor3D and X3D (is there a pattern here?) have announced they will be releasing 3D versions of 20 movies, the majority of which will be genre in nature.
    Of the three big titles coming, starting in September, the Zombie classic NIGHT OF THE LIVING DEAD should be stirring your interest as it is ours, along with Bruce Lee’s THE CHINESE CONNECTION.
    And how’s this for incongruous: another film set for the 3D treatment is the Gregory Peck classic TO KILL A MOCKING BIRD.
    The companies promise 2D versions on the discs along with the 3D formats, giving the viewer the ability to switch between the two.

12. Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen Executive Producer

The 3-D movie which should be on DVD is Dial M for Murder. Hitch made the best (non-obvious) use of 3-D that I recall.

13. Steve Phillips

Read my earlier posts in this thread to see the truth about this idea. These movies will NOT look 3-D, even with the glasses on.

The hardware is great for material SHOT in 3-D, and I recommend it and the real 3-D movies available. However, do not be suckered into places advertising flat movies magically converted to 3-D, because you'll be sorry if you spend money for them.

I'm kind of shocked they are bothering; as I bet they gets lots of returns from angry customers on these.

Don't say you weren't warned!

14. GregK

GregK Screenwriter

Like Steve mentions, if the movie was not originally shot in stereoscopic 3-D, that means it's been converted from 2-D to 3-D. And original artistic intention concerns aside (which is a common topic here on the HTF), the current 2-D to 3-D conversions.. umm well.. suck! I believe they are using the Z3D conversion process, which was also used on the ill-fated C3D network. C3D had started by running true 3-D films, nothing great, but they were *true* stereoscopic shot 3-D films, including titles like "The Creeps", "Ape", and "Robot Monster". C3D needed to increase their 3-D library, but the bean counters obviously decided that it would be much cheaper to license public domain and bargain basement *2-D / flat* films, and convert those to quasi-3-D for the network. Well of course the 2D to 3D conversions looked like crap. Everything either looked slightly behind the stereo window, and / or movement within the stereo window only occurred when there was motion on the screen. The C3D Network disappeared shortly thereafter. Hmm.. No surprise there. [​IMG]
    Well the makers of LCD 3-D glasses are now in the same boat: They're selling 3-D glasses that can cost $50 average for a basic 3-D set-up, and the buyers want increased titles for these 3-D glasses. Now there have been hundreds of 3-D movies made within the last 50 years, but dealing with the copywrite owners, getting a proper transfer, etc again seems to be more of a hassle than simply buying public domain and/or cheap 2-D titles and converting them. ..This can make 3-D for the newbie look bad, and in the long run, they kill their return business. (Hello!!??)
    Of course when the Japanese did field-sequential in the late 1980's (back when it was much more expensive for a LCS 3-D set-up, and discs cost $75 to $100 each) they did it RIGHT, and released major Hollywood titles on VHD. "House of Wax", "Dial M", "Friday III", "Jaws 3-D" etc.. And I'll STILL take one these discs (like Spacehunter) over the crappie 2D-only DVD.
    OK, rant mode off & note to self: "..No more than two cups of coffee!" [​IMG]