3d mark 2003

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by felix_suwarno, Feb 15, 2003.

1. felix_suwarno

felix_suwarno Screenwriter

booohooohooo my vid card wont do the last test!!! it is a geforce 4 ti4600.

the second demo bogged down my pc. like 5 fps! i hope it would still do a good job on doing doom 3...otherwise, i might need to upgrade. damn!

2. Tekara

Tekara Supporting Actor

GF4 are directX8 only and the last test on the new 3dmark has DX9 in it.

eitherwhichway, it's a crock of a program, even though I said that the last test has DX9 in it, it doesn't really use anything from it which is a joke as it's supposed to be a forward looking program.

anyway to help you out some, DoomIII is openGL and not directX so there is little correlation between 3dmark and doomIII. aside from that the only thing that will happen is that you may have to turn some features and effects down, I highly doubt that ID would make a game that isn't somewhat scalable. Hell, with all the options on Q3 I could run that program on my 486 no graphics laptop. so it definately won't surprise me if Doom III isn't somewhat similar.

3. Sean Eldridge

Sean Eldridge Second Unit

according to www.extremetech.com , the test is heavily one sided toward ATI since nVidia didn't want to help fund this edition of the test. But they did say that with a newer set of driver's the GFX was doing a little better than the 9700.

Sean

4. Tekara

Tekara Supporting Actor

sean: I'll try and shed some light on that since I've taken an interest in it.

Nvidia didn't want to pay money to futuremark for a pre-release version of their benchmarking software. Futuremark makes most of it's money off of the pre-releases to manufacturers so that they can prep their cards for running on it. It's a joke really, manufacturers base their products off of synthetic tests that have little correlation to real world gaming. To demonstrate that, just look at Nvidia's new driver set, it scored better because it "cheats". That right it cheats by not rendering everything in the scene. Why did nVidia do this? it's because the people that they sell video cards to care more about this 3dmark score than what performance and Image quality that you get in games.

well see what the future has in store. . .

5. Daniel Alan

Daniel Alan Agent

5 fps is about right for that test, there is a bug that makes the hardware do the rendering 16times more than it should have to, even 9700pros are getting like 10fps