3D 3D glasses

Dan Messner

Auditioning
Hello Everyone : I have a question about 3D glasses. A friend just had an 80" Sharp t.v. and a Samsung BD-E5900 installed in an apartment complex common area. The blu-ray player did not come with glasses. Do Samsung glasses need to be purchased or glasses designed to work with the tv. Thanks, Dan Messner

Ejanss

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
EricJ
Dan Messner said:
Hello Everyone :  I have a question about 3D glasses. A friend just had an 80" Sharp t.v. and a Samsung BD-E5900 installed in an apartment complex common area. The blu-ray player did not come with glasses. Do Samsung glasses need to be purchased or glasses designed to work with the tv.
Glasses don't come with 3D players, they come with 3D sets. (Because you don't watch the player.) If pairs didn't come with the set, you'd have to get whichever exclusively compatible brand goes with the set-- If it's a Sharp 3DTV, glasses should be available at Best Buy and Amazon; if it isn't a 3DTV, again, you're, um, out of luck.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Correct which is why you can use most any brand of 3D player with a 3D set. They don't have to be made by the same manufacturer. But the glasses must be compatible with the set you're using.

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
. For current model year sets the $20 Samsung active glasses will work with Panasonic active sets. Samsung's more expensive rechargeable glasses should also work with Sharp sets, but there's no cost advantage there over the Sharp glasses. Sharp active glasses have a unique feature in that the 3D effect can be turned off on the glasses. So if one member of the family is adversely affected by 3D (headaches, nausea) they can wear the glasses with the 3D turned off while the rest of the family can watch in 3D. Sharp active glasses should also work with Panasonic active sets, again if the set is current model year. Sony 3D sets only work with Sony glasses. All passive 3d sets will work with all polarized (not red/blue anaglyph) passive glasses. Any 3D player will work with any 3D set, though if you have an older HDMI AV reciever it may not be capable of passing the 3D signal, in which case you must connect the player directly to the set and run an digital optical cable from the player to the receiver.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Sharp active glasses have a unique feature in that the 3D effect can be turned off on the glasses. So if one member of the family is adversely affected by 3D (headaches, nausea) they can wear the glasses with the 3D turned off while the rest of the family can watch in 3D.
This is slick and a good idea.
Any 3D player will work with any 3D set, though if you have an older HDMI AV reciever it may not be capable of passing the 3D signal, in which case you must connect the player directly to the set and run an digital optical cable from the player to the receiver.
This is what I have t do, connect the blu-ray player directly to the TV (for the picture) and to my AVR (for the sound).

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
My understanding is that Samsung now offers $20. active glasses that are acvtually compatible with other manufacturer's t.v.'s, namely Panasonic plasmas. Can anyone confirm?

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
I've got 4 pair of glasses that came with my Samsung. They cost less than $20 last time I looked on Amazon. I don't know if they work with other TVs.

Mark Oates

Supporting Actor
As a wearer of spectacles, I managed to source a couple of pairs of reasonably priced (under £5) clip on 3D lenses that work brilliantly with my 42" LG LCD. I compared active and passive systems when I was getting the set and personally found that the passive system (while compromising vertical resolution) was preferable to the active system which was darker and had noticeable flicker.

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
Dick said:
My understanding is that Samsung now offers $20. active glasses that are acvtually compatible with other manufacturer's t.v.'s, namely Panasonic plasmas. Can anyone confirm?
They will work with current model Panasonic plasmas. Won't work with Sharp or Sony.

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
Originally Posted by Steve Schaffer
Originally Posted by Dick
They will work with current model Panasonic plasmas. Won't work with Sharp or Sony.
Current models only? Not the VT25 Pannys?

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
Chas in CT said:
Current models only?  Not the VT25 Pannys?
The $20 Samsung active glasses sync via Bluetooth, the VT25 synch is via IR (Infrared emmitter on lower bezel of tv). First generation flat panel active 3D sets all used infrared synch and the glasses were brand specific, though some 3d party mfg. glasses could be made to work with any set. For the 2012 model year tv mfgs. tried to standardize so that everyone's glasses would work with everyone's tvs. They all went from IR synch to Bluetooth but there are still some exceptions--most notably Sony sets won't work with anyone else's glasses, and Sharp sets won't work with Samsung's $20 non-rechargeables. If you need glasses for a VT25 make sure they're IR synch and specced to work with a first generation Panasonic set.

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
I just recently bought a 50" Panny plasma and 3 pairs of Panny 3D glasses. Wanted rechargeables, so the Samsung glasses, though inexpensive, weren't an option. Still tweaking, but Wreck-It Ralph looks amazing.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
I bought four pairs of generic actives from a company called TekSpree for $40.00 a pair, to be used specifically with a Panny 55" UT50 (their various glasses match most brands and models). At firest, a few movies revealed more ghosting than others, but purely by accident I found that the same switch that turns the glasses on also has a second option between on and off that changes the glasses to right-lens-first from left-lens-first. Apparently some films sync better if the right shutter is first to open. This solved many problems on such films as GHOSTS OF THE ABYSS and ICE AGE. It also helped, but did not make great, the DIAL "M" disc. But, if you have these same glasses, you will find they make 95% of your movies look just right one way or the other.

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
I looked at buying 3rd party glasses, but I found the Panny glasses for $72 locally. If you factor in shipping, duties and convenience, I only paid marginally more, and the Panny glasses are really good.

Moe Dickstein

Filmmaker
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
T R Wilkinson
Anyone have any good ideas for the Mitsubishi DLPs? I've found a place online but of 2 pairs I bought only one worked longer than a week.

fxrh

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Sam Calvin
Moe Dickstein said:
Anyone have any good ideas for the Mitsubishi DLPs? I've found a place online but of 2 pairs I bought only one worked longer than a week.
I use the Optoma ZD101 DLP Link glasses, and from what I see on various boards/threads, these are still generally considered to be the best for DLP sets. I've been very happy with the 3D quality (I have about 60 3D Blu-rays). However, they are still fairly expensive (although eBay will occasionally have a decent deal) and have arms that do not fold and tend to break off; I've simply reattached them with black electrical tape. Some people find these glasses rather uncomfortable as well; they work much better with big heads like mine. A friend of mine brings over his UltraClears, and they work, but I've tried them out and prefer the Optomas -- they yield a more natural-looking picture.

Moe Dickstein

Filmmaker
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
T R Wilkinson
Yeah I maybe should give the DLP Link style a try, I have the IR Transmitter box for the tv and all my glasses work off that rather than the DLP link so i actually have that turned off in the tv, wonder if that will affect the image turning it on...

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Georgiastevenson