What's new

3D DVD's.... (1 Viewer)

AVspec

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mark
With Spy Kids 3D out in theaters the big question is will there be a 3D DVD coming out down the road? Also are there any other 3D DVD's planned?

GregK

Screenwriter
The Director of Spy Kids 3-D has stated the DVD will have a 3-D version, presumably in the same 3-D format (red & blue anaglyph).

As for other 3-D DVDs, there are a variety of anaglyph and field-sequential 3-D DVD titles, but none of the "A-List" 3-D films from the 1950's or "B-List" 1980's 3-D films are currently available in a non-bootleg 3-D form on DVD, with the exception of "Comin' At Ya!" (1981) which is presented in anaglyph 3-D.

If you do a forum search, you'll find more threads on this topic.

Steve Phillips

Screenwriter
Rhino released a red/blue anaglyph conversion of THE BUBBLE, a 1966 science fiction film as well. It doesn't look as good as the original polarized version I saw in the theatre during a wide 1976 re-issue, but it is OK.

The latest 3-D DVDs are WILDCAT WOMEN, M3D/THE PLAYMATES double feature, and BLONDE EMMANUELLE. These are all pretty bad red/blue anaglyph. Actually, these aren't converted either, they were among the very few 3-D movies shown in red/blue theatrically. I wouldn't recommend them to the curious.

Eugene Esterly

Supporting Actor
Well, you can watch the final scene from Freddy's Dead: The Final Nightmare on DVD in 3D. You only get the 3D glasses if you buy the Nightmare On Elm Street Collection (8 discs).

BrianCC

Grip
A little OT, but has everyone seen the info on the 3D filmfest in LA? Lots of 50s classics in original 3D, including Dial M for Murder! Oh, to live in Movieland...

Steve Phillips

Screenwriter
Yes, the 3-D fest will be great. It will be the REAL 50's 3-D, using clear polarized glasses and synchronized projectors! No lame red/blue glasses allowed!

AVspec

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mark
It will be the REAL 50's 3-D, using clear polarized glasses and synchronized projectors! No lame red/blue glasses allowed!
I take it the clear polarized way is much more expensive?

I am never impressed with the red/blue method and it drived my eyes crazy.

I never have watched a polarized 3-D movie, is it much better?

Chris Lockwood

Senior HTF Member
> I am never impressed with the red/blue method and it drived my eyes crazy. I never have watched a polarized 3-D movie, is it much better?

Yeah, the red/blue ones just look blurry to me. All I can do is guess that the blurrier it is, the farther out the object is supposed to be. Also the picture looks about the same to me with or without the glasses, like a color picture where part of the image is shifted over, like the printer screwed up.

Maybe it's just my eyes, but I don't have the problem with the polarized ones.

Steve Phillips

Screenwriter
The reason that 99% of all 3-D movies used the polarized format is because the quality is far, far superior. Black and white looks black and white, and color films appear normal. The stereoscopic effect is far more pronounced, and "gimmick" (in the audience) shots are effective.

Projection is a hassle, though, because special silver screens are required, along with projection lenses and filters. In the 1950's, they even used two seperate projectors! Later, single strip 3-D was used. Neither way is without issues, as the dual projectors could get out of sync, and the single strip versions reduced resolution and light.

Theatres really have to pay attention while they run these, which doesn't happen much these days. This is why most 3-D these days is in special venues like theme parks or IMAX theatres. Also, most multi-plex theatres are of relatively recent constuction and do not have silver screens in place.

The red/blue anaglyph format, by contrast, is quite simple to deal with on the projection side. The theatres don't have to do anything special (other than hand out the glasses) and no special screen is required. This simplicity is why they used this format for SPY KIDS 3-D, which was released on over 3,000 screens at once!

However simple it is, it looks pretty bad. Colors are awful, black and white movies look pink, there tends to be lots of ghosting, the stereoscopic effect isn't as good, and gimmick shots often do not work well, etc. It really isn't good enough for movies, which is why it has very rarely been used for 3-D flicks. Of over 120 3-D features, only a handful have used the poor red/blue system. All of the classic 1950's 3-D movies (around 60) were in polarized.

Some of the older ones were downconverted to red/blue for re-issue or TV, but they look awful and nothing like the originals. Bottom line, if you've only seen CREATURE FROM THE BLACK LAGOON in red/blue, you haven't really seen it in 3-D at all.

AVspec

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mark
Thanks Steve. Very good info.

So now let me see.. to get good 3-D at home I am either going to need to buy a second Barco 808S and a silver screen and two DVD players synced up and I am good to go with great 3-D... unless I go the single strip 3-D route then I just need the silver screen?

Hummm... looks like I will be sticking with 2-D for some time yet.... of course I am sure my daughter will make me pick up Spy Kids 3-D and I will be forced to watch it in the Digital Vortex theater! ;)

Steve Phillips

Screenwriter
At home, there are really only 2 choices. Red/Blue anaglyph or field sequential.

I mean, how many people have twin 35mm prints lying around?:)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks