What's new

3D 3D DVD disc has recognized... no 3D HELP! (1 Viewer)

HDNutts2010

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Scott
I picked up a 3D TV today and I am having a probably with all my 3D Blu-rays. When I play the DVD it displays the following message: "This Disc has recognized that your player and/or display does not support 3D playback"

My equipment is:

Sony BDP-S590 Blu-Ray 3D player
Sharp LC70LE857U LED TV
AudioQuest Cinnamon *Black) HDMI Cable (2 years old)
Pioneer VSX-23TXH receiver

But when I go direct from my 3D Blu-ray player to my TV HDMI input the message doesn't display, and the 3D Blu-ray plays. Do I assume it is my receiver causing the failed detection or the proper equipment? Is there a solution or a manual override to get DVD's to play even when it false detects the equipment?

Thanks

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
Your Pioneer receiver is only HDMI 1.3a. You need HDMI 1.4 to support 3D.

Your only workaround is to run the HDMI directly to your TV, and audio from the blu-ray player to your receiver. Assuming the Sony even has audio out.

If you had an Oppo blu-ray player, you would have dual HDMI, and could run one to your TV and one to your receiver and maintain hi-res audio.

Ejanss

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
EricJ
HDNutts2010 said:
I picked up a 3D TV today and I am having a probably with all my 3D Blu-rays. When I play the DVD it displays the following message: "This Disc has recognized that your player and/or display does not support 3D playback"
If it's your first day and a Sony player, it's probably similar to the first day with a new set and a Playstation 3:
The player might be tied in with the functions of the TV set, and needs to know that you now have 3DTV capability--Like the PS3, there should be some Display calibrations on the player setup to identify that your monitor can now show "1080p (3D)"/"720p (3D)"; otherwise, the player will play any "soft" 3D downloadables in 2D, but reject any inserted 3D disks unless told that it can.

There could be other reasons, but that's the most common for it not taking the hard disks.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
I think Steve has it right. I have an oppo and run an HDMI directly to the TV and to the receiver.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Unless you buy a new receiver or a new Blu-ray player with dual HDMI outs (Panasonic has a model with two HDMIs that's cheaper than an Oppo), you'll have to use the optical audio out from the player if you want surround sound (but it won't be lossless, of course).

Ejanss

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
EricJ
Matt Hough said:
Unless you buy a new receiver or a new Blu-ray player with dual HDMI outs (Panasonic has a model with two HDMIs that's cheaper than an Oppo), you'll have to use the optical audio out from the player if you want surround sound (but it won't be lossless, of course).
The HDMI usually oversees a lot of the tie-in functions (eg. won't start playing the disk until the TV is on), so if anything comes in between, it interferes with a lot of the messages about where the 3D signal is going--If it's going to a non-3D capable receiver, the player's going to think it's going to a non-3D set.
If you don't want to upgrade your receiver, you'll need a bypass around the stereo system that will still keep your HDMI going as directly between the player and TV as possible.

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
With the Oppo you can still have the lossless audio.

I have the Pioneer VSX-21 (same generation as his 23). I run the "preferred" HDMI line (check the Oppo manual for that) out to the receiver for everyday use, and the other HDMI line directly to the TV. To watch 3D, all I have to do is select the other HDMI input on the TV. I'm not changing anything at the receiver -- it's still receiving the lossless audio through the regular HDMI connection.

HDNutts2010

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Scott
OK thanks for all the input I figured I would need to run audio separate and you guys confirm it. Thanks. I don't think I will be upgrading my receiver as this one is only a few years old. I will go audio separate and hookup right to the TV HDMI for video!

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
A quick Google search shows that Panasonic and Sony make twin HDMI blu-ray players that are cheaper than the Oppo. If you want to preserve hi-res audio, this is one way to do it.

HDNutts2010

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Scott
OK I will for sure replace my Blu-Ray Player. I have always been a Sony BR fan but since I'm upgrading I looked at the Oppo Charles mentioned above, it's features look quite nice. I'll not need 4K for a long while since I just bought a new non 4K TV. I will probably go with the Oppo BDP-103 as it's features sound top notch. I looked at the BDP-105 features for the price difference and the features I don't see I'd need. The one feature I noticed the 105 could do was to stream/send video/audio via network for viewing else where, but I really will not need this.

Thanks

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
The BDP-103 should also be able to stream. My BDP-93 is able.

HDNutts2010

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Scott
So a slightly different question but related. I'm ready to purchase the Oppo BDP-103. But the more I've been thinking about it, should I and does it make more sense to upgrading my current receiver Pioneer VSX-23TXH receiver and simply keep my current Sony BDP-S590 Blu-Ray 3D player?

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
The question you have to ask is, how much do you want to spend? I recently upgraded from a Sony 7.1 receiver to an Onkyo 7.2 for three reasons:
(1) More HDMI inputs;
(2) 3D compatibility; and
(3) Height channel capability via Dolby PLIIz--my HT has a small location, and I will get more out of height channels than back surrounds, as I've discovered with my Sony.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Height Channels? I'm not familiar with that term.As to a new receiver or new player? Your player is already 3D capable. Why not get a new AVR? You'd be able to run every thing thru the AVR.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks