What's new

3D died for me on 06/03/2018 (1 Viewer)

marshman1138

Stunt Coordinator
A sad day. I have been buying 3D discs from Amazon UK (because U.S. suppliers won't make them). Also been researching my initial purchase of an OLED UHD television. A shock was waiting for me. No one makes 3D capable OLED's anymore. If I upgrade to OLED 4k, no more 3D viewing. I have no where to place my Panasonic GT-30 for secondary viewing options. As more accurate image quality outweighs 3D capability, no more 3D purchases for me. Thank you very much 4k manufacturers.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
A sad day. I have been buying 3D discs from Amazon UK (because U.S. suppliers won't make them). Also been researching my initial purchase of an OLED UHD television. A shock was waiting for me. No one makes 3D capable OLED's anymore. If I upgrade to OLED 4k, no more 3D viewing. I have no where to place my Panasonic GT-30 for secondary viewing options. As more accurate image quality outweighs 3D capability, no more 3D purchases for me. Thank you very much 4k manufacturers.

Well....

https://www.amazon.com/LG-Electroni...id=1528215702&sr=8-1&keywords=65"+oled+uhd+3d

It's not a new one, but sounds like it's in good shape and it's the cheapest I've seen this set, which I own and bought new for $2500.00. You can PM the owner to see if any warranty applies. In other words, these things are still out there, but only for a limited time.

Douglas R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Curiously, despite it being said that Sony stopped making 3D sets, I see that 3D 4K model KD-65ZD9BU plus a 75" set is being sold in the UK and is on Sony's website. Panasonic also have 3D 4K sets, for example, TX-58DX802B also on their website but they seem never to have completely stopped making 3D sets in Europe.

Last edited:

ptb2017fr

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Paul Bale
Last post was 2018. Now my beautiful 3D 58" Panasonic gave up on me after eight years last month, and can't be repaired, and I cannot find another 3D television anywhere. Or let's say there is the odd one on ebay which is second hand which I don't trust, plus most have excessive delivery or no delivery at all. One would involved a day's drive to collect it and is probably too large for my car anyway. Then what if I drive another day home and find it doesn't work? Why did Panasonic, Samsung etc stop making the sets when so many discs are out there and are still being issued and sold? Madness. I have forty 3D Blu Rays I can no longer watch. Will amazon refund me the money I spent on them, or swap them for non 3D versions of the films? Will they hell!

sitman

Grip
Real Name
Bill Shepard
Last post was 2018. Now my beautiful 3D 58" Panasonic gave up on me after eight years last month, and can't be repaired, and I cannot find another 3D television anywhere. Or let's say there is the odd one on ebay which is second hand which I don't trust, plus most have excessive delivery or no delivery at all. One would involved a day's drive to collect it and is probably too large for my car anyway. Then what if I drive another day home and find it doesn't work? Why did Panasonic, Samsung etc stop making the sets when so many discs are out there and are still being issued and sold? Madness. I have forty 3D Blu Rays I can no longer watch. Will amazon refund me the money I spent on them, or swap them for non 3D versions of the films? Will they hell!
It's my experience that most 3D Blu-Rays come with 2D versions, or themselves can be watched as a 2D option. Regarding a 3D capable display, there are quite a few models of HD 3D projectors available that use the "active" 3D viewing method (which I believe was the case with your Panasonic, so you likely have compatible glasses). I can't speak from experience about active 3D video as I have a 60 inch LG passive 3D set, which I only use for 3D viewing (under the hopeful theory that it will last longer that way.)

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
3D projectors are cheap, easy. As are portable screen nowadays. In my opinion the 3D is much better (immersion) and you don't have to spend $100 thousand on a dedicated home theater. More like less than $1K plug n play, and done.

I started portable, and still use that setup from time to time.

Mysto

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
marv long
I'm still waiting for my money back on my 8 track tapes. Technology goes on and leaves no prisoners. (floppy discs - betamax - zip drives - atari computers - etc.)
If you want 3D then the only current reliable option is projection. I watch 3D on a regular basis as do many members here and on a big screen.
Cheers

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick

I dread the day my 65" LG 3D 4K OLED set bites the dust. Been five or six years and it's just great at the moment. I am 72 this month, and I want this thing to outlive me (I imagine LG's have a better longevity record than Panny's, though that is a supposition), as I want my 2 yr-old puppy to outlive me. If you can find refurb LG on Amazon (which would offer a better warranty in most cases) with free shipping, go for it.

Mysto

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
marv long
Thanks for all the suggestions. Am investigating the projectors now. Again you put 3D into amazon and get a long list of projectors that don't mention 3D so will be careful.
Beware of cheap non-name Asian projectors. They will say 3d but it means anaglyph. Check with the guys in the 3D thread - they know what works.
Cheers

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
Thanks for all the suggestions. Am investigating the projectors now. Again you put 3D into amazon and get a long list of projectors that don't mention 3D so will be careful.
Here is one I own. 3D, and very bright Short throw for easy hook up.
DLP type, the 3D is phenomenal.
  • Full 3D: The GT1080HDR displays True 3D content from almost any 3D source, including 3D Blu-ray Disc players, 3D broadcasting, and the latest-generation game consoles; support for 144Hz rapid-refresh Rate provides ultra-smooth flicker-free images; 3D glasses required

Last edited:

Mysto

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
marv long
Here is one I own. 3D, and very bright Short throw for easy hook up.
DLP type, the 3D is phenomenal.
  • Full 3D: The GT1080HDR displays True 3D content from almost any 3D source, including 3D Blu-ray Disc players, 3D broadcasting, and the latest-generation game consoles; support for 144Hz rapid-refresh Rate provides ultra-smooth flicker-free images; 3D glasses required

I own the older model of this and I am happy with mine as well.

WillG

Senior HTF Member
would it be possible to manufacture some kind of stand alone 3D converter that goes between your blu ray player and TV. It should be right, weren’t there some systems, albeit rare, out there that allowed for 3D viewing? Even the Sega Master System had shutter glasses that worked pretty well and that was in the 80s

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks