What's new

3d content from from PC AVI File to projector setup (1 Viewer)

KiteJunky

Auditioning
Real Name
Brian
Hello, and thanks in advance for any help you can offer.
I have a new projector, an Epson LS10000 which comes with active 3d glasses, receiving HMDI signal from a Yamaha RXA860 home theater amplifier with HDMI switching. Upstream I have a home theater PC connected to the amp via HDMI.

Regular content from AVI files or netflix looks just great.

I'd like to try out 3d playback but haven't been able to get it working yet from the HTPC.

I've done a bit of research and understand that
- the amp supports 3d pass through based on a quick check of the specs.
- VLC media player (my go to player) does not support active shutter glasses as far as I can tell.

It looks like all I need to do if find the right player and I am in business but I cannot find anything that clearly indicates it is designed to deliver out to active shutter glasses.

advice?

thanks again.,

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
MPC-HC and madVR and LAV filters are what I use for 3D on my HTPC.

"Home · MPC-HC" (https://mpc-hc.org/)

"madVR" (http://www.madvr.com/)

"LAV Filters - DirectShow Media Splitter and Decoders - Doom9's Forum" (http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=156191)

Here are my notes on the setup:

KiteJunky

Auditioning
Real Name
Brian
okay, thanks Dave.
Looks like I have some download/install/configure work ahead. Just to confirm your system working with active shutter 3d?

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Yes. Sony IR LCD glasses with a Sony projector.

There are some other software kits that can do various flavors of 3D. MPC with filters was free, does what I need, and plays well with other HTPC software.

KiteJunky

Auditioning
Real Name
Brian
Hi.
I've installed all the software you recommended and configured as best I could as per your setup instructions.
I have a 3d Avatar file I am using as a test. When I launch it in Media Center Home Cinema it shows up in two portions, split screen and I am pretty sure it needs to be showing full screen alternating frames does it not?

I am not sure what settings I need to make to change playback mode to 3d and I am not sure I have the filters enabled properly.

I have disabled internal filters for MP4. In the external filters I do not see a clear way to apply them to MP4. The media type list is a long string of GUIDs reminiscent of the windows registry.. Is that normal? Is there a way I can check that playback is using the external LAV filters? (I assume I can't simply use the internal filters?)

in case relevant, File properties for the test file show MPEG4 video (H264) 1920x1080. If you like I can provide the mediainfo settings

thanks again.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Yes, if the 3D is played correctly, the frames will be unpacked and then displayed in alternating order, with the display triggering the altering shuttering of your 3D glasses. When 3D isn't playing correctly, you can get Top-Bottom or Side by Side images, or a blurry image, or just a 2D image with the other "eye" left out.

Unfortunately, I'm out of my depth at this point. I installed per my notes, and it worked.

FWIW, I knew already the single chain of HTPC -> AVR -> Projector supported 3D because I also have CyberLink's PowerDVD which plays 3D (albeit with a frame rate matching problem). So it was a matter of finding software that could play MVC MKV's correctly.

If you're having problems I suggest Doom9 thread I posted as a place to start. Sorry I can't be more help here.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks