What's new

39 Steps/ The Lady Vanishes (Movie-Only Edition/ Rykodisc (1 Viewer)

Steve_AA

Agent
39 Steps/ The Lady Vanishes (Movie-Only Edition/ Rykodisc): available at DVD Planet.

Can anyone who's seen this dual-DVD comment on the PQ of these two movies and compare them to the Criterion versions? This DVD is about $15 compared to a combined $50-60 for the Criterion DVD's.

I know, I know....I shouldn't be such a cheapskate and just buy the Criterion, but I hate spending more than $23 on a DVD.

Thanks for any input.

Michael Taylor

Stunt Coordinator
Yes, you are being a cheapskate :D
I haven't seen the dual DVD you are talking about, but the Criterions are very good - I own them both. Criterion usually restores the print on older films as opposed to offering a plethora of extras on the new ones (the original print is usually cleaner, so they don't have to worry about that). When they restore a film, that restoration is not licensed to other companies, so you are likely to end up with an inferior quality transfer if you purchase the dual DVD.

Dave F

Senior HTF Member
The Lady Vanishes (Criterion) is one of the best DVD's in my collection, and has one of the best commentaries I've ever heard. Not only does it enhance your viewing of The Lady Vanishes, but you will notice things in many other Hitch films.

If you love Hitchcock, you shouldn't even give a second glance to the Rykodisc (or even a first).

-Dave

Steve_AA

Agent
Thanks Guys. My lust for a bargain has clouded my better judgement. I suppose it's too much to hope for that this double DVD would be of a high quality.

I'll be getting the Criterions.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks