What's new

3805 crossover problem (1 Viewer)

Phil_O

Stunt Coordinator
I have my crossover point set at 60 Hz and all speakers set to small and subwoofer=yes. Just to verify that bass below 60 Hz wasn't being sent to my mains I used a CD that produces tone sweeps from 1 Hz up to 60 Hz on one of the tracks. The cones are definitely moving/producing sound after about 25 Hz. I'm using Paradigm Monitor 5's BTW. What can I do? The manual pretty much says nothing else on this other than what I'm doing. Is the crossover only valid for sources other than CD or only during digital movie playback?

ScottCHI

Screenwriter
there's a way to reset the processor, but i doubt you need to do that.

with the slope the receiver's xover has and a xover setting of 60Hz you SHOULD still hear plenty of output an octave below that at 30Hz, if your speakers are capable. the xover isn't a brick-wall.

how much output do you hear at 25Hz? how do you know that that's where you are in the sweep, btw?

Shiu

Second Unit
As Scott said, the crossover is not a brick wall. I think what you experienced was normal. Like any other receivers, the 3805 will send frequencies below the crossover point, they just get attenuated by X dB/Octave (the slope varies among different brands).

Phil_O

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks Scott and Shiu. I wasn't thinking about how much output was actually going to the speakers, it just worried me initially that it was sending these low frequencies to the speakers. The CD track plays each frequency with regard to the time in seconds, so 25 seconds = 25 Hz.

Shiu

Second Unit
You mentioned the speaker cone was moving so I assume it was getting those low frequencies, and that was normal. Also, remember that there is a delay in the SPL meter, by the time you see the reading, the frequency would have "swept" to a higher frequency already.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks