What's new

3805 best price - not authorized dealer (1 Viewer)

Phil_O

Stunt Coordinator
Found on PriceGrabber for $905 sold by BrandNamez.com... it's not an authorized dealer as far as I could tell, but they do sell a 24 month warranty for $59 backed by Phillips. Anybody have any experience with buying from this site?

JackS

Supporting Actor
Without any true experience or knowledge, I think I'd trust Phillips rather than Denon for any repairs that came under warranty. Here's my reasoning- If any problems arise during or after the repair, who can you complain to? If you have a Denon warranty, the only place you can complain is to Denon. With the Phillips warranty, you have Phillips and you also have Brandnamzs. Phillips not only has to make you happy, they also have to keep Brandnamz happy. Too many complaints to the retailer, and Phillips can be dropped in favor of another warranty service. Nothing against Denon personally but do believe Sony, Yamaha, Onyko and the rest would be no better. Take a chance with the Phillips guarantee.

Rob Kramer

Second Unit
If Denon decides to provide free upgrades (or bug fixes), they will only do it with units sold through authorized dealers.

StephenHa

Second Unit
philips could care less about the warranty (keeping a company happy is not a priority with warranty companies) does philipss know how to repair a denon, are tehy using denon parts, being an authorized denon dealer really isn't that hard (I was one and probably will be again)

JackS

Supporting Actor
Believe me Phillips will know how to repair a Denon ,Sony , Yamaha, Onyko, HK or any other mass produced unit using the same mass produced parts that any other facility including Denon Sony etc,etc,. Phillips may even offer a reasonable turnaround time something that doesn't often exist with the mega corps. Anyone getting too comfortabe with these guy's will eventually understand that an "authorized repair" has no more meaning than any other repair. If you feel compelled to buy only form a Denon dealer, by all means do so.

Mark Broyles

Auditioning
I purchased a DVD 1600 from NextGen for a great price. Of course, 2 months later it died. NextGen said sorry, you're past 30 days. Denon said sorry NextGen's not on the list. After writing a lengthy email to Denon about how I love their stuff and how many of their dvd players I'd purchased, they relented and replaced it on a one time exemption. When I decided to ramp up to the DVD 2900 and the 3805, being told I'm out of luck when something (as it always does when you stick your neck out) goes wrong isn't to appealing. I went to Good Guys. Purchased an open box 3805 and a demo 2900 for $1684 minus a $200 rebate. Plus they threw in a mike if I paid cash. If you do some leg work along with some negotiating, sometimes you can have your cake and eat it to.

greggor

Second Unit
Real Name
Greg
I purchased my Sony ES reciever from BrandNamez.com about 4 years ago and I thought their service was excellent. They expedited shipping the very next day and I had the unit in about a week. I also don't place any stock into whether a company is authorized to sell a product or not. I'll fight to the bitter end if I have to if something goes awry.;)

Lewis Besze

Senior HTF Member
Well my 2900 was purchased from an authorized dealer but only if it was from the store,not from the internet[which how I bought it].I've had received the update CD-rom from Denon no problem at all.

Rob Kramer

Second Unit

A lot of owners are hoping that denon will eventually upgrade the denon link to i-link (like they did on their 5900). This upgrade will require more than just a CD-ROM. Owners of "un-authorized" units will probably either have to pay for the upgrade or wont be allowed to upgrade at all.

Im in favor of buying "unauthorized" models that have been on the market for awhile. Usually, manufacturers dont upgrade established models, they just come out with new models. However, I still consider the 3805 a new model (not to be replaced anytime soon).

Just my .02

Stephen Hopkins

HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Dakmart has refurbished 3805s for less than you're quoting (around $850 I believe) and they are an authorized b-stock/refurb dealer, meaning you get a legit 90-day warranty through Denon.

Chris

Senior HTF Member
Short story:

I had a Denon 3600 that went into "protect mode"
I sent it in to Denon california, and they not only did the repair, but sent me back a nice note and provided me a firmware upgrade for it which fixed some DTS detection issues I had from laserdisc.

There are very few warranty work I've had done that I appreciated the quality and turnaround as Denon. Free shipping back, quick repair of the unit, etc.

JackS

Supporting Actor
I'm a horse player and a little gamble to save a couple of hundred now appeals to me more than the slight possibility that I would be unhappy with any repair service authorized or unauthorized is a risk everyone takes no matter where they buy. Stay with the reputable dealers, understand all your options should you receive a lemon, and pat your self on the back for the money your saved. Even a little verbal reassurance on the phone verifying a no hassel return within 30 days is do-able and a policy that most of the good guys selling this stuff will readily honor. My attitude may not fit with everyones ideal ,but it fits in with the way I like to do things. Anyone starting out assembling all the pieces for an above average HT set-up, and can survive problem free purchases four times with average savings of $200 per piece, has almost enough money to buy a second receiver. Consider.

Lewis Besze

Senior HTF Member
If you look at the Denon "upgrade" history then you'll notive that they only offer it the flagship models. I doubt that the 3805 will ever gets any hardware modification.As you pointed out Denon rather jusr release the new models.Which brings us back were we started.

John Robert

Stunt Coordinator

You have 2 choices:

1). Buy from authorized dealer, pay (usually) higher price, get mfr warranty protection.

or

2). Buy unauthorized / grey market, pay (usually)lower price, lose mfr warranty.

You will have a difficult (and to me, unethical) path if you try and do both. JMHO,

John

Seth_L

Screenwriter
Please... Some manufactures like Sony don't care where you buy it. I could buy a Sony ES unit from some guy out of a van, and if I have a reciept they'll fix it for the 5 years under warranty.

The whole authorized dealer thing is a scam. Denon or whoever gets paid the same no matter if an authorized dealer buys them from a wholesaler, or not. Denon is just trying to "protect" their dealers from low cost online retailers. It's completely phoney too. If Denon wanted to they could sell the units to only authorized retailers, but they want their cake and eat it too.

I suspect if it made it to court they would lose and would have to honor the warranty because they have made no effort to keep their units out of the hands of unauthorized retailers.

Wayne Ernst

Senior HTF Member

Actually, I think we'd be surprised if we were able to see how many pieces of gear Denon has dropped into the hands of grey market sellers. I'll bet the numbers are greater than we ever could imagine. That is probably why Denon has made no effort to keep the units out of the hands of unauthorized vendors.

John Robert

Stunt Coordinator
>>WARNING TO VALUED CONSUMERS:
The warranty on DENON Electronics products is NOT VALID if the products have been purchased from an unauthorized dealer/on-line E-tailer or if the original factory serial number has been removed, defaced or replaced in any way. Recently DENON Electronics has become aware of numerous instances in which such serial number tampering has occurred. Unauthorized dealers/on-line E-tailers and/or their suppliers frequently alter the serial numbers in an effort to prevent manufacturers from tracing the supplier source. DENON Electronics sell products through authorized retail and on-line channels to insure that consumers obtain quality pre-sale and after-sale support and service. PROTECT YOUR WARRANTY. Buy from an authorized DENON Electronics dealer/E-tailer. Check the unit and its packaging to determine whether the factory serial number may have been altered. To check to see if your dealer is an authorized dealer click here or if in doubt, call DENON Electronics at (973) 396-0810. For warranty terms and conditions on New or Refurbished equipment, please select the appropriate product type.

JackS

Supporting Actor
The warning from Denon and the rest about unauthorized dealer purchases is to inform you that you have no ablity to have your unit repaired during breakdown. The warning should not imply that somehow you are breaking some ethical code when you do so. Denon and others are also in the insurance business. When you buy authorized products, you are also paying for insurance that Denon sells which is reflected in the inflated price versus the unauthorized dealers lower price. As for removed or altered Sr#'s, this stuff is probably stolen. Avoid private sales from auction sites for new equipment. Buy from ethical authorized/unauthorized dealers and this is not a problem. Remember, insurance is a commodity just like the product so, the price you pay for insurance should also be negotiated.

John Robert

Stunt Coordinator

Your point is good and we are in 100% agreement here. I have bought some items at great savings outside authorized channels, but I have done so knowing that I was not getting the mfr's warranty...

John

Stephen Hopkins

HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
I really don't see how Denon has a legal leg to stand on when denying warranty repairs to people who have legally purchased products from "unauthorized" dealers. If the product made it through all the steps from factory to consumer in a legal manner then the mfg should still be liable for warranty repair. I'm pretty sure their are certain states that have laws preventing this kind of warranty disctrimination if you will. I buy authorized, or more often authorized-refurbished, but I have a real problem with mfgs refusing to honor warranties from unauthorized dealers when the merchandise was obtained in a 100% legal fashion. If Denon truly wanted to limit grey market sales they could do so just like Paradigm or Rotel or any of the hundreds of electronics companies who have tight distribution chains. If they're going to let items get out of their "authorized" distribution chain in a legal fashion it should be their obligation to honor the warranty, anything less is bad business. If I purchase an item that arrives to me 100% legal, I should have a legal right to its warranty.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks