3803 & Klipsch Set Up Advice Needed

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Adrian Ramirez, Nov 23, 2002.

1. Adrian Ramirez

Adrian Ramirez Auditioning

Okay gentlemen, I made a large purchase this week from Goodguys.com at $2999 (no sales tax and free shipping in CA).

I should be expecting the following equipment at my door step before Thanksgiving-

1. Denon AVR-3803 receiver
    2. Klipsch RF-3 II Front Speakers (2)
    3. Klipsch RS-3 II Surround/Surround Back Speakers (4)
    4. Klipsch RC-3 II Center Channel
    5. Klpsch KSW-12 Synergy Powered Subwoofer

I am reading the manual online and am stuck on the 12V Trigger. Should I plug the subwoofer into this or the wall?

Also, what should I set the crossover frequency in the 3803 and subwoofer to?

Thanks for the help.

2. Wayne Ernst

Wayne Ernst Cinematographer

The 12 volt trigger is designed for use with an external amplifier. The trigger will be connected between the 3803 and the external amp to "trigger" the amp to turn on when the receiver is turned on. Plug your subwoofer into the wall outlet.

I don't know enough about the frequency responses for your listed speakers to recommend where to set the crossover point. However, I'm suspecting 100 Hz would be the setting - and possibly even 80 Hz if your satellite speakers have more capability on the lower end at producing bass.

3. Robb Roy

Robb Roy Supporting Actor

4. itai

itai Stunt Coordinator

cross over at 80 should do good, and 100-120 at the subwoofer side, to have a nice overlap.
    the 12v is a nice thing, you dont have to power your sub on and off all the time. it restricts its position to the length of its power cord though.
    good purchase anyway, youre gonna love it![​IMG]

5. Robb Roy

Robb Roy Supporting Actor

Just to clarify: are we talking about the 12 volt trigger, or the switched outlets? If we're talking about the trigger, then Wayne had it right. If we're talking about the switched outlets, you could possibly get away with that since it's a pretty low powered sub (in the neighborhood of 100 watts I believe). To be on the safe side, though, I would not plug your sub into the 3803's switched outlets (and as itai noted, you will have more placement options by using a different outlet).

HTH,

Robb