3803 and video upconversion question with toshiba HDTV

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jamey F, Dec 22, 2002.

1. Jamey F

Jamey F Stunt Coordinator

I was thinking of getting the Denon 3803. I noticed it has video upconversion. I would assume it will pass a component signal as received straight through without change of any sort. My question comes in when it upconverts an S-video or composite signal to my Toshiba HDTV. I have a couple of stretch modes that I can use to make 4:3 material full screen. With my cable box, the signal it sends through component won't let me use any different stretch modes. I ASSUME the reason for this is because it is a HD cablebox sending a 16:9 picture with the 4:3 image inside of it with black bars on the sides to fill it up. In other words the black bars are actually being sent in addition to the 4:3 image. I guess when my TV sees a 16:9 source it won't allow stretch modes. I make this assumtion because I can use any stretch mode with any form of signal coming from two different dvd players(progressive/interlaced / 4:3 / 1.85:1 / 2.35:1 and any combination). Does anyone know if the video up conversion to component with the Denon 3803 may have a similar effect on my TV.

2. Roger Li

Roger Li Extra

Jamey, I believe that you assumption is correct. I have an OTA HDTV receiver connected to my Toshiba HDTV through my Denon 3803 and cannot change the strech or zoom. I think this is because the receiver (and in you case the cable box) is sending a 1080i 16:9 signal to the TV, so it does not think there are any streches it can do to it. Though I do not have any s-video sources running through my 3803 to the TV, I do have my DVD output going through the 3803 component in and 3803 component out. I am able to zoom and strech this signal because it 408p and not 1080i. This leads me to believe that the 3803 does not upconvert a 480i s-video signal to 1080i, but it just coverts the s-video signal to 480i component to go to the TV. This leaqds me to believe that you would be able to strech and zoon the uponverted s-video signal as you normally would be able to. So I believe the answer to your question is No.

BTW, I have not noticed any signal degredation by routing the OTA HDTV signal through the 3803 instead of straight to the tv.

Hope this helps.

3. Jamey F

Your post gives me great hope that Denon is just passing the same signal along the video up conversion process like I had hoped. I would also assume, since dvd's with 480i or 480p can be stretched through component, anything can be stretched through component other than 1080i with our TV's. Since you have a Toshiba HDTV (btw...what model?), could you please hook up a 4:3 s-video and/or composite and use the up conversion feature. Then try to use the different stretch modes. Also, what are you doing about 4:3 material? Are you using different inputs other than just component and s-video on your receiver for HDTV viewing than with cable/dss? Are you using all your video switching through your receiver? Which DVD player do you have by chance?

4. Alex Prosak

Alex Prosak Supporting Actor

Roger,

Have you tried any other sources and actually upconverted from composite component? If so, how has that worked? I've been considering the 3803 but I've been hearing about noise being introduced while upconverting to component outputs from both composite and s-video. I'm not sure if the problem is consistent for all units or just some.

Thanks,

Alex

5. Jamey F

From where have you been hearing about noise introduced? I have read here where there coild be the potential of degregated signal by using more connections, but I haven't seen actual accounts of the receiver itself lowering the quality of the source. Perhaps the noise was introduced by cheaper cables or running the cables near cables carrying higher current.

6. Alex Prosak

Alex Prosak Supporting Actor

Jamey,

I've read it both on this forum and the AVS forum. Apparently it isn't a bug that all 3803s exhibit and it only seems to apply when upconverting not if you're switching between component inputs. The noise introduced is two horizontal bars (+/- 1 inch in width) that slowly, but continuously, move up the screen.

Alex

7. Roger Li

Roger Li Extra

Jamey, I have a 50HX81 TV and a Toshiba 5700 DVD player. I do not have anything hooked up s-video or composite because I use the set-up for home theater and HDTV only in my basement. I watch "regular" cable tv in the family room on a different tv. I will hook up the DVD player using s-video to the 3803 and sent the signal to the TV via uponverted component to see if stretching and zooming works. I should have some time to try this tonight or tomorrow, and will post the results. I will also let you know if I see any noise or signal quality loss. As far as 4:3 material, the only such material I watch on this TV is either OTA HDTV or 4:3 DVDs which the DVD player streches to 16:9 (I have it set to do this). As I said, I think the OTA HDTV receiver sends everything to the TV as 1080i, so the TV doesn't think it can strech it.

8. rob-socal

rob-socal Agent

My 3803 doesn't put any noise into the video stream.