What's new

3803 and difference in LFE for Dolby and DTS? (1 Viewer)

Elliott Willschick

Second Unit
I remember reading that there is a difference in LFE levels between Dolby and DTS levels by 10 dbs. Does the 3803 adjust for this in each mode or do I have to adjust it manually? I don't have any DTS test tones so I can't really check for myself.

Thanks

greg_t

Screenwriter
Look in your owners manual. It will tell you how the LFE needs to be set for both.

Chuck Kent

Supporting Actor
Real world versus theory means that depending on what movies you are watching (or comparing), sometimes the DD version will be hotter in the LFE channel than DTS and visa-versa. For me, more often than not, I have found DTS to have an overall louder presentation, including LFE.

But as the guys above have pointed out, the 3803 allows you to set each LFE separately. So you can tweak each one as you go...

Elliott Willschick

Second Unit
Thanks, I did realize that I could change the LFE individually. I was just wondering if I should boost the LFE for DTS because I don't have any DTS signals and I didn't know if the receiver would compensate for it on its own.

Chuck Kent

Supporting Actor
Somewhere in one of my Denon manuals it noted that DTS music cd's needed to have the LFE turned down by 10db for it to be right. Thus, the DTS movie LFE is already up by 10db at the factory 0db setting. So, IMO, it's set to go out of the box. (Although in my case, I still have mine knocked down 3 or 4 db because of personal taste.)

Elliott Willschick

Second Unit
That was what I was looking for, thanks Chuck. I saw that part of the manual and that is what prompted me to ask the question because they didn't mention it. I haven't tried too many DTS music release but I did try the Nine Inch Nails concert disk. I have to say that it didn't sound as good with the LFE reduced... I'll have to listen again to be sure though.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.