What's new

3802 video switching dilemma (1 Viewer)

Eric T

Second Unit
I'd like to set up my 3802 for video switching, but after researching the manual, I don't see any way to do it.

I have two component video feeds:
3800 DVD player
Scientific Atlanta HD cable box

An S-video feed:
Cable box (for non-HD output full-screen)

And composite:
Sanyo VCR

Obviously I want everything to go out through the component outputs. But apparently the 3802 will only pass component inputs through the component output, S-video inputs through the S-video output, and composite input to the composite output. This means I would still have to switch the input on my TV. If I have to do that, then there's no point to increasing the signal path length and paying $100 for another component cable.

Is there any way to get around this? I really hate messing around with all the remotes, and I don't know of any way to program macros, since my Mits 55807 remote doesn't have direct access to the video inputs.

RobertSchaez

Stunt Coordinator
Even if your receiver converted all video input (S-Video, Composite and Component)to feed the TV through a single set of Component Video cables, you will have to switch the TV's source to "component input" to watch it. I think the only advantage to using your receiver to do Component Video routing, other than if you have two Component sources, is to be able to view the receiver's on-screen menu without switching to another type of video input that is connected to the TV. I run my Component Video directly from the back of my DVD player to the back of my TV. But, if you want to watch your HDTV input using Component Video, you're going to have to spring for another set of Component cables, although you can probably get decent ones for less than $100.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks