3802 Users Running 9 speakers???

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Joe Greca, Mar 10, 2002.

1. Joe Greca

Joe Greca Stunt Coordinator

I was just checking out the Denon 3802 at Crutchfield.com and I stumbled accross this image:
    [​IMG]
    Is anyone using this setup? Does music sound any better using those rear-corner surrounds? Is that setup for DVD-A and SACDs? What about DPL2?
    Just wondering... Might give it a try if its worth it...
    Thanks!

2. itai

itai Stunt Coordinator

hi joe
    currently i run 5.1, but soon will go to 7.1 movie spec, (another set of dipoles for backs) and when dvd-a &/or sacd will be an acesible purchase, i'll install the B set direct firing speakers. for music, a dipole/bipole speaker isnt the best option. for real surround, multichannel music (not "regular" dts neo6 or dpl2) monopoles speakers, same size as the mains, are the thing.
    the 3802 was my clear winner among its range because it offers switchable surround sets (A and or B), plus the extra ES rear surrounds. a killer reciever!
    hope this helps.[​IMG]

3. Eric Samonte

Eric Samonte Screenwriter

I am currently using the 3802 with 2 fronts, 1 center, 2 surrounds, 2 rear surrounds and 2 subs. Its a blast for DTS- ES discreet..which is why I got it in the first place.

4. brian a

brian a Second Unit

I think the question is if anyone is using different rear speakers for the 5.1 mixes than the 7.1 mixes. That would require 9 speakers, not including subs, as shown in the pics above.

I doubt it. At least I haven't heard about anyone on here doing it, but I could be wrong.

5. Eric Samonte

I didn't mean to pass along that I was using 9 SPKRS with the subs as spkrs. I only wanted to say I have 7.1 and I sue it for movies and music. 7 channels do make it so the sound envelopes you.

6. Salvador

Salvador Second Unit

eric pare!!! hehehe

A little bit out of topic but do you use any external amps in your setup? I also have a 3802 and i'm intrigued on how my studio 20's will sound with an external amp. I've gotten a lot of feedback about this already and most suggest that it is a lateral move. Only way i'll kill the cat is if i find someone who will lend me an external amp but in the meantime i'm just getting as much input as i can.

salamat

7. Wes

Wes Screenwriter

Wes Peterson
  8. MatthewJ S

MatthewJ S Supporting Actor

I'm still trying to find out if anybody besides B&K allows you to run 5.1 from either sides surround or rear surrounds while still being able to use the SAME rear surrounds for 7.1/6.1......I don't want 6 surround speakers, 4 does nicely for my room (2 wide dispersions at the sides and 2 direct radiators behind)

9. Robin Casady

Robin Casady Agent

10. Eric Samonte

Sal...( I hope tama ang nick?)

I don't have any external amps connected to the 3802 but I think I read somewhere here someone is doing that. I can't remember the thread but it was pretty recent.

Maganda siguro ang kalalabasan nyang balak mo. Actually gusto ko nga ring subukan kung may "mahihiram" akong amp.