3802 Remote Control - battery life

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Willem Vos, Apr 26, 2002.

1. Willem Vos

Willem Vos Stunt Coordinator

I own a Denon 3802 since the beginning of this year, and I noticed yesterday that the batteries (3 penlites!) of the remote control were all but completely drained...

Are they supposed to last this short? I almost never use the backlite function (maybe 5 or 6 times in total).

2. Ron Etaylor

Ron Etaylor Second Unit

I don't have a 3802, but the batteries in my many remotes last for years. I'm always surprised how long they last.

3. Willem Vos

Anyone else have any similar experiences with the 3802 remote?

4. John Royster

John Royster Screenwriter

surprisingly my batteries only last about 3-4 months. I've replaced them with new akalines twice since purchasing my in october.

seemed kind of strange as I'm used to remote batteries lasting years and years. Maybe cause the LCD screen is on all the time?

-edit- I'm talking about a 3802.

5. Luis_RC

Luis_RC Auditioning

The batteries that came with my 3802 lasted less than 3 months, and that was with little use, mostly on weekends.

Hope the new alkalines do better.

6. Earl Simpson

Earl Simpson Supporting Actor

Hey guys! Does your remote keep its memory when you change batteries? You know, the other equipment programmed into the buttons. My batts are still working at 4 months, but now I will keep a watch on it.[​IMG]

7. Ron Reda

Ron Reda Cinematographer

I thought that was weird that the LCD stays on all the time. I personally think that remote sucks and have since switched to the Sony RM-VL900...it's great!

8. Keith M.

Keith M. Second Unit

the 3802 remote is garbage. It is the most unintuitive piece of crap I have ever used. And as mentioned earlier, the damn lcd never turns off. This was very poorly designed. I cant understand how they can consistently come out with exceptional components, yet their remotes simply suck.

I also have the 5800, and was thinking of using the RC8000 with the 3802. I already use the pronto for the 5800...

9. Willem Vos

Ok, but I was just talking about battery life, not about remote intuitiveness.
    It may not be a pronto, but I found it to be pretty good (especially compared to the remotes of other receivers in that price range)
    But of course having to change batteries every three months kinda sucks. Is there such a thing as a Lithium Penlite [​IMG] ?
    Thanks for the replies, I'm glad the phenomenon is normal.

10. Brad Van Eerden

I have a 3801 and I'm pretty sure the remote is the same. My remote's original batteries lasted a year and a half (of constant use). The memory was not lost when I finally had to change them.

11. Mike Strassburg

Mike Strassburg Second Unit

Just replaced the batteries in mine last week. This was after about 6 months, with very little remote use other than to set-up everything. I basically choose the format/volume level and sit back and enjoy. Have NEVER tried the backlit button. I was pretty surprized that they were already dead. No biggie though......

12. Bryan Acevedo

Bryan Acevedo Second Unit

I have had mine in for quite a few months (at least 6) and haven't changed them yet. Maybe you ride the buttons a lot - we just pretty much turn the system on and leave it - that will make the remote last a lot longer than a channel surfer. It is not length of time that matters, because the remote could sit for 6 months with very little use, and it will last 6 months longer than someone who uses it everyday, all day, changing channels constantly.

Also, Ron and Keith - interesing POV. I really like the remote. Ron, let me ask you this - how do you control the tuner and multi-zone inputs with the Sony? You talk about un-intuitive - the Sony remote must have buttons programmed that don't match their functions you taught them. I know remotes for Denon in the past have been bad - but have you seen the remotes Yamaha and JVC use?

I find the Denon remote to be quite intuitive. There is a small learning hump, but I find this remote to do everything I need it to.

Bryan

13. Willem Vos

My point exactly Brian. It may not be the best around, but compared to other remotes in the price range it's one of the better ones.

14. Earl Simpson

Earl Simpson Supporting Actor

I love my two 3802 remotes. I hope the batts last. It is the first remote I have had that will program all my dish net buttons onto it. I talked a person out of one who did not like it and bought a pronto. Yes a pronto would be nice, but this is a great remote to come with a rcvr. I'm happy so far!!!

15. Aslam Imran

Aslam Imran Second Unit

I am quite happy with my 3801 remote (the same as 3802's). The batteries, however only lasted for about 6 months. So I guess it is a battery hog.

16. jason celaya

jason celaya Stunt Coordinator

yes, mine wore out in 3 months with minimal use (only calibrations)

17. Robin Casady

Robin Casady Agent

I got a 3802 on Feb. 20 of this year. The original batteries are still good.

If yours are giving out quickly, try RAYOVAC Rechargeable Alkaline batteries. I've used these in other remotes, Nikon cameras, flashlights, etc. They are excellent. There are a few things they don't work with, such as Minolta light meters, but they work fine in most remotes -- including the 3802.