3802 overrated

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Robert_Z, Sep 4, 2002.

1. Robert_Z

Robert_Z Screenwriter

Well, I took a gamble upgrading to the 3802. I wanted to see if all the hype was deserved for this unit. In my case, apparently not. I replaced a two-year-old Yamaha HTR 5150, and I must say, the sound for HT is absolutely identical. I get a kick out of these posts saying "the sound really came alive" or whatever. DPL II is overblown as well. I can tell no difference when watching prologic movies or TV.

So my advice to those with "receiver upgrade-itis": don't bother, especially if you already have entry-level Yamaha. I didn't realize how great my 5150 was until I bought the doubly expensive Denon and noticed no improvement in HT performance. The 5150 is a steal.

But don't get me wrong, I do not have buyer's remorse. I had to find this out for myself...and not even a weekend audition would have allowed me enough time to make a full and accurate judgment.

The positive is now I have 2 HT systems, and both kick butt.

2. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    I'm not a fan of DPL II either, and I am actually not all that impressed with the 3802, but what is also very importan is what the rest of your gear is, and whether or not you calibrated everything and gave yourself some time to really hear the difference. If you have an average or below average source or speakers, there may very well be little or no difference in what you hear.

What speakers, what sources, with what types of connections?

You can convince yourself of anything, so if you don't think you will hear a difference, you probably won't. I'm not saying you are wrong by any means, just that you maybe need to try some different things to be sure, then sell the Denon...

Denon and Yamaha sound very similar to me, both have good amps, yet I am not very fond of the way either of their lower to mid level models sound.

3. Lewis Besze

Lewis Besze Producer

4. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    I've gotten to the point where, if I get too many mixed reviews of something I am curious about buying, I will either try to get one lent by a dealer or just buy it and try it out, since that will really tell me if I like it or not.

5. Arthur S

Arthur S Cinematographer

Robert

Was there any difference in 2 channel music quality between the Yamaha and 3802?

Thanks

Artie

6. Chris Tsutsui

Chris Tsutsui Screenwriter

First, I'll thank Robert for posting his "buyers remorse" [​IMG]
    I think the hype was about all the functions and high powered channels you get for the ~$700 price tag.
    I don't remember anyone saying that it's a good choice for 2 channel music. The receiver has been described as "bright" sounding by some people. I would have probably gone for the HK AVR 520 if my decision was based on reviews.

7. Holadem

Holadem Lead Actor

It has always seemd to me that the Denon 380X series were more famous for the myriad of formats they offer than anything else. At any point in time, the best (and often only way) to get the latest and greatest sound formats under $1000 is to get a 380X...

As such, they have established a solid reputation as THE receiver for HT at that price point. As long as they do not sound any worse than the others and keep offering more options, they will remain popular.

--
    Holadem

8. Kevin Alexander

Kevin Alexander Screenwriter

9. Eric T

Eric T Second Unit

10. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

11. Gil D

Gil D Supporting Actor

12. Adam_R

Adam_R Second Unit

I own a 3802 with Pinnacle Speakers all around and an SVS sub. I think it is a spectacular receiver for the price. I've listened to similar spec Yamahas that don't sound as good to me, especially at high volume. 2 channel stero performance has been outstanding. I think you should run some high volume comparisons and give it a little more time.

13. anthony_b

anthony_b Screenwriter

My dad has a Denon 3802/Klipsch klf30 combo. I don't know if its this particular setup, but all I could say is "WOW" !!...The clarity of the speakers and the output of the receiver is supberb...[​IMG]

14. itai

itai Stunt Coordinator

robert, i dont know the yamaha 5150, its probably a good reciever if it sounds like the 3802.
    personally, i upgraded to the 3802 from an onkyo 494, and the difference is enourmous! the 494 had dplII, dts and dd, but it couldnt drive my new speakers.
    im sure my next upgrade to the 3803 will be a smaller step.
    [​IMG]

15. AntonS

AntonS Stunt Coordinator

Robert,

What speakers do you have? If you are using some small inexpensive bookshelves, don't expect to hear much difference between receivers, as the speakers will not be able to reproduce them. Also, if you don't hear any difference between DPL and DPLII, I may suspect that you rear speakers are pretty bad.

16. kevitra

kevitra Second Unit

PLII made a huge difference for me when watching TV via DirecTV. The surrounds get much more of a workout then they used to. Even my wife who could care less about it noticed a positive difference.

17. Kevin Alexander

Nothing here at the HTF has really changed in the last 6-9 months. It is still very much a pro-Denon mentality w/ the alot of members here, and that's not a bad thing at all. Ask 1000 members here to recommend a mid to upper level receiver in a given price range, and out of 6 brands (Pioneer Elite, Sony ES, Onkyo, Denon, H/K, and Yammie) and Denon will get 50-75% of the recommendations. If you search back 6 mos. ago, you will find that there were some such as myself who have always felt the Denon is nicely designed, but way overhyped. It has not been until the last year or so that many here have come to appreciate that H/K makes some darn good sounding gear that according to a growing number here actually excell in performance (2-channel music and HT) over its Denon counterpart and w/ more practical features such as main-ins and a couple of implementations of Logic 7 processing.
    Please take my rantings here w/ a grain of salt. Although I have my personal preferences about what I like, I am well aware that others do as well. One thing I never try to argue with is what people like. If it sounds good to you, who cares what I think anyway? [​IMG]

18. Russell _T

Russell _T Supporting Actor

I'm curious. Could someone please tell me what Denon model compares to the HK AVR510?
    Thanks,

19. Kevin Alexander

Russell, the H/K 510 is about a 2 year old model. The current model is the H/K 520. The rumored soon-to-be released model (any month now) is the H/K 525. Specifically, the apples to apples model for the H/K 510 would be the Denon 3801 receiver which is also 2 years old. Other than that, the H/K 5XX series is equivalent to the Denon 38XX line.

20. Rob Rodier

Rob Rodier Supporting Actor