3802 or 950?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by BobAlbano, Jul 23, 2002.

1. BobAlbano

BobAlbano Second Unit

I'm currently on the waiting list for the Outlaw 950 but I'm getting tired of waiting. I am using a Denon 3300 for my pre-pro right now while I wait for the 950. My question is, with the deals that are being had on the 3802 would I be better jumping on that deal? It will be used strickly as a pre-pro as I have a 5 channel outboard amp. How do you think the 3802 will compair to the 950? I am starting to get really tired of waiting for the outlaw and want something soon. [​IMG]

2. Russell _T

Russell _T Supporting Actor

The 3802 specs just as good or better than the 950. I'm only waiting on the 950 because I have this thing about matching components and I want the 770.

3. Russell _T

Oh, btw, the latest Outlaw release has them shipping the 950 by Aug. 4th. I've already waited 16 months, what's another "3 weeks." [​IMG]

4. TomH

TomH Second Unit

Wait for the 950 or check out the Rotel. IMHO my 950 performs far better than mid range receiver pre-amp sections. You will need to look at flagship receivers to match the performance.

Tom

5. Mark_J_H_Jr

Mark_J_H_Jr Stunt Coordinator

I ended up with the 3802 after waiting and waiting and waiting and waiting (ordered in FEB). I was not in a position of replacing existing equipment. I am pleased with the performance. I will upgrade someday, but the 3802 is a great interim solution for me. I do not regret it a bit. All of the processing modes and decent power. My room is 20 x 23 x 8.

If you can wait, I am sure you would be pleased with the 950. I do not know how long the wait list is, but I would imagine there are a couple of months worth of deliveries before you could expect one on your door step. If you can't wait a few months, go with the 3802 and don't look back.

6. BobAlbano

BobAlbano Second Unit

I got on the waiting list in late march so I'm sure that there are quite a few people still in front of me. If I did end up going with the 3802 is there a big enough improvement over the 3300 to justify the purchase? The 950 seems like a great piece if they correct the problems that they are having. Processing only, 3802 stand toe to toe with the 950?

7. AndyHangartner

AndyHangartner Stunt Coordinator

Russell,
    any info on the sound quality and general functions for HT use? I don't really care about two channel, having a separate preamp. But in the price range I've looked at the sony TAE9000 and the Adcom 830 (which nobody seems to like)but neither are THX and the sony is only 5.1. I also considered a Proceed AVP, but for the money I really couldn't hear an improvement and the upgrade price is ridiculous. So I guess where this leads, is there much difference in sound quality from one to the with the exception of the different formats?
    andy

8. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

I was also looking at this choice. So far [​IMG] I have decided to wait for the 950 because it has analog bass management on the 5.1 inputs, and because for the life of me, I couldn't figure out from Denon's site if it had a mode(s) like the CES modes on the Outlaw that are specifically designed to "expand" 5.1 non DD EX/DTS-ES sources to accommodate a 6.1/7.1 speaker system. Plus, paying for amps in the Denon when I wouldn't use them anyway seems a little wasteful to me.

9. ricky ho

ricky ho Stunt Coordinator

the 3802 has a "wide screen mode" that will give a 7.1 channel sound from 5.1-channel sources. this info is in the owners manual.[​IMG]

10. Brian Corr

Brian Corr Supporting Actor

Processing only, I'd have no worries going with the 3802. If movies are your main concern, then the difference should hardly be noticeable.
    For 2 channel, most reviews say the 950 doesn't sound very good, so again, the 3802 should be fine.
    If using the 5.1 inputs for DVD audio, then the 950 has the advantage due to it's bass management. But even that seems to have it's faults based on owners comments about how it works with certain speaker set ups (large vs small).

11. BobAlbano

BobAlbano Second Unit

Great so do you think the 3802 would be a noticable difference over the 3300 that I'm using now. I will be using this system for 80/20 HT to Music but that could change in the future as I'm also planning a Rocket liftoff!

12. Brian Corr

I'd guess that the difference would be noticeable. Plus you get the chance to experience the newer formats, like DPLII.

13. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

14. David S

David S Stunt Coordinator

"For 2 channel, most reviews say the 950 doesn't sound very good"
    Yea all 2 or 3 of them said the 950's no good with music. Yet the 20 or 30 others, + several doing side by sides with the Anthem, Rotel and Lexicon did NOT hear near as much of a difference for music.
    In my system, the "bright" and "thin" sound is heard as "detailed", somewhat forward, and not "thin" at all. It all depends on the recording, ala "good sound in = good/great sound out"!
    By the way, most of the sports reviews I've seen have the Cowboys "not being very good" this year either![​IMG]

15. Russell _T

I imagine for pure processing power, the 3802 will hold it's own with the 950. That's strictly looking at the specs since I've never heard a 950. However I would wait and check out the 950 because it is purely a pre pro, and has all of the newest surround modes. I DO love the all channel stereo and DPL2 on the 3802 though. With these two options, I don't know what else you would need. The 950 has Neo6 which is supposed to be quite good as well, but when is enough enough? (Uh, wait a minute-that's a stupid question in this hobby [​IMG] )
    I do really feel that they will begin shipping again in Aug as promised, and all the annoying idiosyncrasies will be gone. As for 2 channel music not sounding good, there are one or two vocal critics spouting that everywhere, and I'll bet it's bunk, but time will tell.

16. Brian Corr

Bad wording on my part. I should have said some instead of most say it doesn't sound good on 2 channel.
    (I haven't seen a single comment putting the 950 as better sounding than the Anthem.)
    But I got the impression that the people who didn't think it sounded good on 2 channel are much more critical in their listening of 2 channel.
    I haven't heard the 950 but have listened to the Rotel and think it does sound close in 2 channel to other similiarly priced stuff. I don't think it holds a candle to the EAD (demo) I have in my system now which is why I have removed both the 950 and Rotel from my consideration (among other reasons).

17. Tom-K

Tom-K Stunt Coordinator

I'll throw in my .02. I have the 950 mated with (2) Carver 753x (3x250w) fed into DIY HT Focal speakers from Zalytron with matching center and surrounds. A good friend of mine has the 3802 with DIY Audax HT kit also from Zalytron. While my speakers might be considered a step up from the Audax, my system blows his away on clarity and detail. Not even close. I would believe the processor has to have something to do with it. And yes, My 950 has no hiss past two inches. I am extemely happy with it. A bargain for $900. Hang in and wait.

18. Brian Corr

Tom-K, I'd bet your amps have a little to do with that also! [​IMG]

19. BobAlbano

BobAlbano Second Unit

One of the reasons that I was considering the 3802 was that if I ever did go to a 7.1 setup I could use my existing 5 channel amp and 2 of the channels on the 3802 for the rear surround. The 3802 looks like a great deal for 700.00. Is the 950 or even the 1066 worth the price difference over the 3802? If I was using the 3802 strickly for processing couldn't I just go with the 2802?

20. Yogi

Yogi Screenwriter