3802 multiroom hookup?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jason Kass, Aug 4, 2002.

1. Jason Kass

Jason Kass Agent

Hi,
    I have set up my new 3802 and have tried to get the multi room speakers to work and I can't.
    I have a center back speaker connected to integrated amp output and hooked up the multi room speakers to the "multi room" pre-outs and run that to a Citation amp and then to the speakers. I have switched the "power amp assignment" page back and forth between surround and multi to see if I can get anything out of the "multi-room" outputs, so far nothing.Please help.
    Is it even possible to have a rear center (6.1) and use multi room with an additional amp?
    Thanks,
    Jason

2. EarleD

EarleD Supporting Actor

Jason

Connect the integrated amp to the 2nd zone preouts. Set the power amp to surround in the setup menu. That should do it for you. The Denon manual is lacking big time in this regard.

Earle

3. Jason Kass

Jason Kass Agent

I'm not sure I know what you mean. It sounds like I would be shorting out somthing if I take the internal amp outputs and connecting that to the preout. Can I have a sixth chanel and multi room if I have an external amp?
    Thanks,
    Jason

4. Jason Kass

Jason Kass Agent

After looking at the hookups, everything should be as needed. Maybe I am just not implementing the "multi room" correctly.Meaning, how do I get something to play or stop playing? Right now I have the CD playing and I go to "multi" and set it to "stereo" (because I only have two speakers in room two" and all it does is change my main room to "stereo". I am not sure how to tell it to just make "multi" room operate.
    Help!
    Jason

5. EarleD

EarleD Supporting Actor

You need to press the multi/source button on the 3802's upper left corner. Then select the source using the source knob on the 3802. Make sure it says multi not rec out.

Make sure that you set you multi source volume in the set up menu correctly. I use variable because I just have an old amp that I use. You wnat fixed at "0" I think. This way you can adjust with the integrated amp.

6. Jason Kass

Jason Kass Agent

I called Denon and found out something that the manual does not tell you. If you use multi room hookup you must use analog cables. I have my cd in the optical input but in order to be able to have it play in another room I have to ALSO plug in the R and L inputs. Hmmmm.
    Thanks,
    Jason

7. Matt Taylor

Matt Taylor Stunt Coordinator

Jason,

You beat me to it. The multi room source must be fed an analog signal. It took me a while to figure that one out as well.

Matt