1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

3802 for HT ???

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by gene avallon, Jul 3, 2002.

1. gene avallon

gene avallon Stunt Coordinator

time for a new receiver,they say 3802 best for music so so for HT,what would be for HT? got about a grand to spend,would like to have same stuff the 3802 has.going to get new speakers after the receiver.
    thanks
    gene

2. James Bergeron

James Bergeron Supporting Actor

I think the 3802 is great for HT, it's a HT receiver why would it be bad? I'd say it's probably not so great for music since that's not really what it's for.

I have the 4800 it's great for HT, so so for music.

3. gene avallon

some threads said it was warm, that warm bright thing, and so not so good for HT.?????
    gene

4. Keith M.

Keith M. Second Unit

What kinda speakers are you using? Have you auditioned the receiver with speakers similar to yours?? I wouldnt concern yourself with one persons opinion, hear it for yourself, I guarantee you will be hard pressed to find a better A/V receiver in that price range...

5. gene avallon

junk speakers,new speakers comming next,any ideas to0 match for HT ONLY
    GENE[​IMG]

6. Michael Mathius

Michael Mathius Screenwriter

There are many post here that highly recommend the 3802 for HT. I certainly would agree since I've owned both the 3801 and the 3802. Try doing a seach.
    Add an external amp and I think that it is also a good receiver for music. I have mine connected to the Parasound HCA 1205 and Energy Veritas 2.4's for my many hours of music listening enjoyment.

Just my .02 cents.

7. Chuck Kent

Chuck Kent Supporting Actor

I like the 3802 for music and movies. Enough that I voted with my $$$ to buy one. (I use mine as a pre-amp/processor with a 5 channel amp.)

My advice is to give one a demo at a dealer. If possible, with some of the same types of speakers you think you might be considering...

8. Nathan A

Nathan A Second Unit

my 3802 is powering 7 klipsch speakers, 98% HT, and i think it sounds great. upgraded from an older kenwood receiver (vr407 i think) and it was a huuuge improvement. dunno how it'd compare to other receivers in its league, tho.

9. David Berry

David Berry Stunt Coordinator

Gene,
    I also own the Denon 3802. In your search, you will find many people praising this Denon unit, myself included. It is one well-engineered product. In the US, I you can get this unit for less than $1000. Check out the www.audioreview.com website as they have a review for the Denon 3802.
    David

10. Tom_Mack

Tom_Mack Stunt Coordinator

I would agree that the Denon 3802 is not "the best" for movies and is better for music. I have Paradigm speakers and was trying to find a receiver to help make music less bright, but I didn't like the warm sound of the Denon at all for movies. I felt that voices and other sounds in the mid to upper range sounded dull and lifeless. I went back to my Yamaha 596 and was much happier for HT. The music wasn't as good but the movies were much better IMHO. It was the sound of the dialogue that really bothered me on the Denon - just a tad unnatural.

11. Scott-C

Scott-C Supporting Actor

I spent last weekend listening to a Denon 3802 (both music and movies) and thought it sounded wonderful for both. It was mated to Monitor Audio Silver Cinema Series speakers and the combination, to my ears, was great.

My $0.02.

12. itai

itai Stunt Coordinator

my 3802 drives paradigm studio setup, its amazing at ht, and just as well pushing music. you might want an external amp for big spaces or parties, but as it's competitors in the 1k price stop, its the champion.
    my next one will probably be 3803/4803, i'll see what goes.
    [​IMG]

13. peter a

peter a Stunt Coordinator

so, if i get the 3802 and some axiom speakers as well as an svs sub, how realistic is it that i would need an additional amp? what speakers are the amps normally connected to? do you run any speakers off of the receiver directly, or do you let the amps send the power to all of the speakers? thanks-

p

14. Earl Simpson

Earl Simpson Supporting Actor

3802 is fine for most of us without an external amp. If you can get it from 6th ave its $699. Wow, these have really dropped in price.[​IMG]