1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

3802 FM tuning problem

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Thomas F, Sep 27, 2001.

1. Thomas F

Thomas F Stunt Coordinator

I have a Denon 3802 and I am unable to change FM stations from the remote. I have selected "AMP", input to tuner, and have done the automatic station selection. I can hear the FM station fine. I have also re-initialized the receiver processor, and reset the remote, but still no luck. I've read the manual and followed it to the letter. Maybe my remote is defective. When I press the channel buttons, + and -, should there be a display on the remote that says channel + or something. Mine only says "AMP", with no additional characters. I can tune it manually by pushing the button on front and turning the tuning know fine. Is my remote broken?

2. Samuel Des

Samuel Des Supporting Actor

Thomas, I would return the unit. I had a 3801 with a similar problem. As you know, most radio functions are only accessible via remote. My remote would not change bands, but could tune AM stations (it was stuck on AM). I think the problem was with the FM reception section, not the remote. I returned it. Sorry to hear about your problem!
    ------------------
    Best, Sam

3. Mike Sheahan

Mike Sheahan Stunt Coordinator

I was having the same problem.
    What I discovered is you need to push the RECEIVER button twice to scroll to TUNER, then the remote works in a radio function. If you hit it three times it goes to MULTI, which I assume is for multiple room setups.
    It should say TUNER in the LCD display. I think you still need to hit the yellow tuner button too.
    I hope this helps. The user guide pretty much sucks.

4. Thomas F

Thomas F Stunt Coordinator

Thanks Mike. You were right. It is necessary to push the receiver button twice to get to TUNER. I was then able to control the tuner from my remote. I wonder how many people returned their 3802's for this reason.

5. Mike Sheahan

I just happened to figure it out by dumb luck.

6. Tony Genovese

Tony Genovese Supporting Actor

Page 60 in the owner's manual describes how to change stations. Does anybody read the manual any more? One would assume that if you're posting on this forum, you know how to read. This stuff is getting more complicated by the year, and people just want to press buttons and get there by dumb luck. You know, two minutes taken looking at the table of contents in the manual and then reading the appropriate section and a lot of anxiety would be saved. Sheesh.

7. Henry Carmona

Henry Carmona Screenwriter

Henry Carmona
    Take it easy Tony, dont let such a small thing stress you out.
    Sorry if you had a bad day, but making people feel stupid doesnt gain you any respect.

8. Tony Genovese

Tony Genovese Supporting Actor

I've had a good day. Not stressed at all. But, I do not understand how folks can worry about their malfunctioning receiver, without reading the manual! Maybe it's me. Notice how slow the board has been lately. Perhaps this type of discussion is part of the cause... so yeah, maybe I have been a little stressed, since I was unable to log on for about 5 hours [​IMG] I feel better, now that I've gotten that off my chest [​IMG].

9. Bryan Acevedo

Bryan Acevedo Second Unit

For what it's worth - I agree with Tony.
    I have the 3802, and the first thing I did was RTFM.
    I don't understand the mentality of buying a $1k peice of equipment, and then just blindly trying to figure out how it works. I am a software engineer, this stuff comes naturally to me, but I still read the manual because I can't possibly know every setting from trial and error.
    On the other hand, the manual is not very clear in some spots, and caused me some confusion until I figured it out.
    So it does go both ways - you can read the manual, but with stuff like this, sometimes you just end up more confused.
    I have also noticed lately the lame posts on this site. "Help - emergency - need $50 DVD player fast".
    I wish they would make a forum dedicated to equipment recommendations. As that is what this forum seems to have become.
    Bryan

10. Mike Sheahan

This was a confusing issue with this remote for the simple fact that it has a button clearly marked TUNER in the yellow section that only works in the default AMP mode, which you get to buy pressing the RECEIVER button. Once you press RECEIVER twice to get to TUNER mode, the yellow TUNER button no longer works, so if you still happen to be in DVD mode you have to return to AMP just to switch to TUNER with the yellow TUNER button.
    I think this clearly describes the confusing "Catch 22" situation you could find yourself in the first time you attempted to listen to AM or FM broadcasts.
    Also each of the top eight buttons on the remote that serve multiple uses, except the RECEIVER button, have them clearly marked. There is no marking on the RECEIVER button indicating that it serves a multi function.
    If they would have combined the function of the two TUNER buttons this whole discussion would be moot.
    Also after rechecking page 60 in the manual, it has no mention of hitting the RECEIVER button twice to get to TUNER. And since there is no indication on the remote, or the manual that this button has multiple purposes, it is obvious that when the manual says you should see TUNER, and you are seeing AMP instead, you may be slightly confused and decide to turn to your all knowing source on the Internet, The Home Theater Fourm.
    [Edited last by Mike Sheahan on October 03, 2001 at 10:50 AM]

11. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

i don't want to start a flame war here, but i think a couple of guys need to relax a little. we're all here to help each-other out.
    thomas clearly stated he read the entire manual. i would hope we're cool enough here to take his word on that. since he couldn't figure it out, he posted a question. the result? mike was able to recommend the solution.
    so what's wrong with that? he had a problem and got an answer. in my opinion, this thread worked exactly the way it should have.
    regarding manuals...those things can be a nightmare to read, especially if it isn't well written. i myself am guilty of getting a new piece of equipment and dinking around with it a few days before actually sitting down to see what the manual is all about. there's nothing wrong with that. it's a new toy for goodness sakes!
    my rant is complete.
    ------------------
    You step in the stream,
    But the water has moved on.
    This page is not here.

12. Bryan Acevedo

Bryan Acevedo Second Unit

After thinking about it - I realized that my statement doesn't necessarily always apply. In this case, he did read the manual, and it was confusing. Believe me I know - this part of the remote took me a while to figure out that I could control the DVD navigation buttons by hitting the DVD key twice on the remote. Also note that you have to hit the button twice in succession to change modes. If you press any other button, hitting the DVD button (or RECEIVER button) won't do anything. You have to hit it again.
    I was making a statement in general - that a lot of people (probably not people on this forum) don't read the manual, and then want your HT "Expert" help to help them, when all you do is pick up the manual and look up how to do it. That really bugs me!
    Sorry - no offense intended to Thomas!
    Bryan

13. Mike Sheahan

I took the manual to work with me and read it cover to cover before even setting it up.
    Then while running through the different operations I would refer back to the manual as needed.
    There were two areas I found where the manual caused more trouble than it was worth, and one of them involved using the remote with tuner functions.
    If it would have simply said that you needed to press the RECEIVER button twice to activate the TUNER function none of this discussion would even be taking place. So the comments about reading the manual have no bearing on this discussion.
    In my momentary fit of rage while attempting to follow the inept manual, I inadvertently pushed the button twice, and that is where the "dumb luck" came in, Tony.

14. Henry Carmona

Henry Carmona Screenwriter

Henry Carmona
    Ok, heres one I need help with.
    Is there an easy way to adjust Dynamic Range?
    I swear it was sooo much easier on my Yamaha, plus it worked for all outputs, not just for DD or DTS!
    So how do you guys set your Dynamic Range??
    THanks!!
    ------------------
    [​IMG] "Charlie don't surf."

15. Mike Sheahan

Well first I should say I don't use it much, but I just went through the motions with it and your right about one thing, outside of DD and DTS signals, it is not possible to adjust it.
    On page 59 there is a table that shows which modes it is available in, but unfortunately it is still only available with a DD or DTS signal.
    The easiest way I've found to adjust it requires the on screen menu, and the Display/Surr.Para. button on the remote. With a DD or DTS signal, no matter which mode you are in(ie. Stereo, PL II, Jazz Club, etc..) it will give you the option D.COMP for Dynamic Range settings.
    It is close to a one button solution, but you need to have you're TV on, and it only works with DD or DTS signals.

16. Samuel Des

Samuel Des Supporting Actor

quote: Does anybody read the manual any more? One would assume that if you're posting on this forum, you know how to read.[/quote]
    [​IMG]
    quote: Maybe it's me.[/quote]
    Probably.
    quote: Notice how slow the board has been lately. Perhaps this type of discussion is part of the cause... so yeah, maybe I have been a little stressed, since I was unable to log on for about 5 hours I feel better, now that I've gotten that off my chest[/quote]
    [​IMG]
    I'm just glad that Thomas got his answer. I'm embarassed that he had to be berated for asking.
    ------------------
    Best, Sam
    [Edited last by Samuel Des on October 04, 2001 at 12:37 PM]