What's new

380? (1 Viewer)

Christ Reynolds

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ
when i was in middle school, i had this teacher who would say this weird saying. when you asked him to go to the bathroom, he would say 'be back in a minute 380'. ask him how tall the desk is, its a foot 380. how much is the book, its a dollar 380. you get the point by now. does anyone know what he was talking about? my dad says that his father used to say the same thing occasionally, but he used 580 instead, and a lot less frequently. the teacher was just some loser who thought he was funny, but i still dont know if this means anything at all, it must have come from somewhere if my grand pops used to say some derivation of it, anyone know?

CJ 380

Christ Reynolds

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ
it took me a year to figure out what "420" is...and I used to do a LOT of that back in the eighties!
maybe if you did a little less of the 420, you would have taken less time to figure out what it means :) i dont know what that number means, although i know what it signifies.

CJ

Julian Reville

Screenwriter
I don't what ANY of you are talking about (which is the whole point of using cryptic anagrams in the first place); but I was 25 before I knew what 69 represented. :)

NickSo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick So
I know what 69 is... whats 380?

Edit: Whoops, read that wrong.. yeah i now know 25 is his age lol

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
380.... I don't know but with the information on that Snopes link that Greg_Y provided, perhaps this is just a play on 420. if you consider 3 hours 80 minutes, it works out to be the same as 4 hours 20 minutes or 420..

Maybe it's just a spinoff of 420, like if the teachers/cops/authority got word of what "420" means, maybe 380 was a way to remain obscure..

Just a guess!

I have another guess too, much like "69" has a graphical resemblemce, so does the letters '3' '8' and '0' if you look at it the right way...

Jay

Julian Reville

Screenwriter
Greg, thanks for the link to 420, that was informative. :)

You guys are a hoot, I was 25 at one time, but that was many moons ago. Now I'm 51.

Christ Reynolds

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ
380.... I don't know but with the information on that Snopes link that Greg_Y provided, perhaps this is just a play on 420. if you consider 3 hours 80 minutes, it works out to be the same as 4 hours 20 minutes or 420..
a good guess, but when you consider that my grandfather said the 580 thing 45 years ago, i doubt it. plus, its not just the 380, its 'a minute 380'. and it was a teacher who was saying it, i dont think it was associated with 420, not if you know this teacher.

CJ

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks