What's new

37 inch LCD needed (1 Viewer)

BrianTwig

Second Unit
Uncle is looking for a 37" LCD that will go above his fireplace. It will be connected via component (those 3 RCA jacks) and that is the only way it will be connected now and in the future. So no need for HDMI, 1080p, or any other fancy stuff. He will be watching regular cable and using a cheap DVD player. So we are not looking for a top of the line, all the bells and whistles TV here.

So some suggestions for a 37" LCD flat panel that will perform well and not cost too much. I don't know his budget, but knowing him, the cheaper the better, but will pay a few extra bucks for quality and reliability. 40" suggestions as well, but it is an outside shot he would go that large. Thanks!

Alon Goldberg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Alon Goldberg
Sharp Aquos LC-37D90U is the best 37" on the market (absolutely stunning picture). But if this is out of his price range then I would look at the LC-37D40U, which offers high quality and reliability.

For 40" LCD's he may want to look at the Samsung models, 41D Series and up. These are solid budget LCD's.

TicoTVA

Stunt Coordinator
Ditto , the Sharp , JVC , Or Samsung all make great LCDS.
LNS4041 -Samsung is nice

TVATICO
tvauthority

motosf

Auditioning
Real Name
Steve

Which JVC would you recommend? Especially one that matches the quality of the Sharp LC-37d40u or better.

I love the Sharp, but it doesn't have a PC connection...

The Samsung LNS4041 won't fit it my cabinet ... max width can be 41 1/2"

The LCD TV needs to be in the $1500 range.

Thanks,
Steve

Alon Goldberg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Alon Goldberg
Steve - I know the new Sharp Aquos models have HDMI 1.2 connections, which support PC input with 1:1 pixel-mapping ("dot-by-dot mode").

You use a DVI HDMI cable. The HDMI and DVI signals are the same -- HDMI cable just has the extra ability to transmit audio signals.

You may want to check what version of HDMI the LC-37D40U uses..

motosf

Auditioning
Real Name
Steve

When I asked Sharp that specific question, this is what I got back:
"If the unit does not have a DVI input, then the unit is not considered PC compatible. Current model available with PC input is LC37D90U"

I am also asking the folks at TV Authority the same question. I believe they will be better able to assist me than the manufacturer first line sales support people.

Newbie here, could you please help me understand the "1:1 pixel-mapping ("dot-by-dot mode")" better. I am not sure that I am following you on what exactly that translates into.

motosf

Auditioning
Real Name
Steve

Got a better answer from Sharp this go around:

"The hdmi ports on the LC37D40U are version 1.2"
"Unfortunately, a DVI to HDMI cable will not work. Only going into a DVI port on the TV will be compatible with a computer input."

Alon or anyone else, could you please help me interpret what Sharp has said vs. what Alon has said in the quoted text above. I need to be able to plug in a computer (HTPC probably via DVI) into the LCD that I buy.

Thank you all,
Steve

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks