What's new

37 and Kevin Smith... (1 Viewer)

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
If you've watched any of Kevin Smith's films (Clerks, Mallrats, Chasing Amy, Dogma, Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back) then you might have noticed the number 37.

In Clerks, Dante's girlfriend has ummm...you know...37 men.

In Mallrats, they mention the mall cop (La Fours) having 37 arrests.

In J&SBSB, the girls have just succeeded in their 37th heist (its on a banner they made when they are at the hotel after the heist).

So I have several questions:

Where is 37 in Dogma and Chasing Amy? What is the reason for all the 37 references?

Ok, thats two questions...but anyway...

And BTW, I know there are people who don't like Kevin Smith films. This thread is NOT about your opinions, its about the references to the number 37. Please don't thread crap about how much you hate KS and his movies.

Matthew Chmiel

Senior HTF Member
In J&SBSB, the girls have just succeeded in their 37th heist (its on a banner they made when they are at the hotel after the heist).
Also look at Justice's prison ID (or whatever its called).
You did realize after watching five films that hockey as a plot device (excluding J&SBSB) along with Jaws and Star Wars references are more prevalent than the number 37, right? :)

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, I realized the hockey and Jaws things. Its just that 37 is not as prevalent, which is what makes it stranger...

To quote Pacino from Insomnia, "small details."

Veli-Matti Reitti

Stunt Coordinator
Damn hadn't noticed that until you mentioned it now. Can't recall seeing it in either Dogma nor Chasing Amy but i am sure the reference is there somewhere. I'll have to watch them again and get back to you on that. I agree the hockey, Jaws and SW reference are obvious in all the films but the 37 is indeed quite peculiar and strange.

Please don't thread crap about how much you hate KS and his movies
Can i post "crap" about how much i admire, respect and love his movies? And consider him to be one of the best directors in the world?

Dennis Heller

Second Unit
I know in Chasing Amy, in the beginning credits, a local comics newsletter is floating by and it refers to Banky and Holden's comic book prior to Bluntman and Chronic titled "37."

John Spencer

Supporting Actor
It could either be a Biblical reference, in that "3" and "7" are Biblically important as "perfect numbers". Or it could be an homage to Cool Hand Luke, itself a Christ analogy, where Paul Newman's character has "37" as his prisoner number. I vote for a mix of both, as Smith has said on many occasions that he is fascinated by religion.

John Berggren

Senior HTF Member
It's 3 less than the biblically omnipresent number of 40. Perhaps Kevin just digs having a number that shows up occasionally so that people can add it to their drinking games :). He may also want a number because other folks he likes use a number, like Lukas or Carter from X-files.
Or 37 may be a statistically frequent number people choose when they need to make up a 2 digit number.
:).

Jeff Willy

Agent
For some reason, when I guesstimate a high percentage of something, I always tend to say "87 percent." It is just something that comes to mind. Maybe "37" is just something that KS hears in his head when he makes up a number?

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
Dammit Jeff...you stole my number. I've been saying "87" for years :D
Seriously though, I use 87 more than any other number.

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
I hate the number 37 and every movie it has appeared in! You guys need to get better taste in numerals. :rolleyes
Peter Jackson is God.
Note: This is a thread-crap PARODY, and not an actual thread-crap. I actually quite like Kevin Smith. Maybe 37 is just his lucky number. If I were a screenwriter, I'd get the number 29 in there as often as possible!

Butch C

Second Unit
CHET...that is the most uninteligable unreadable piece of literature ever...I thought Naked Lunch was hard to pour through!

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
After watching Mallrats again, I didn't find the 37 reference (my previous comment on it was wrong). Anyone know where it is?

Nathan*W

Screenwriter
Real Name
Nathan
I thought I remembered KS revealing his penchant for 37 on the Clerks LD commentary, so I fired it up last night and tried to go through it...but it was really late...and I am not as young as I once was. It might be there, but I couldn't find it. Sorry.:frowning:

Tigerlily

Auditioning
Real Name
Maggie McDonnell
If you've watched any of Kevin Smith's films (Clerks, Mallrats, Chasing Amy, Dogma, Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back) then you might have noticed the number 37.

In Clerks, Dante's girlfriend has ummm...you know...37 men.

In Mallrats, they mention the mall cop (La Fours) having 37 arrests.

So I have several questions:

Where is 37 in Dogma and Chasing Amy? What is the reason for all the 37 references?

Ok, thats two questions...but anyway...

And BTW, I know there are people who don't like Kevin Smith films. This thread is NOT about your opinions, its about the references to the number 37. Please don't thread crap about how much you hate KS and his movies.
He has 37 on his jersey in Catch and Release as well. It's more significant than I think people are crediting.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks