1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

36in 16:9 mode(newbie)

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Francisco_C, Nov 18, 2002.

1. Francisco_C

Francisco_C Agent

I have a $850 budget..

In your opinion how important is the 16:9 mode on TVs?
    I watch a lot of DVDs. I cant seem to find any sets in my price range that have 16:9 on the remote.

Any suggestions on sets that i could consider.
    I've heard about going into the service menu or using macros. Im not sure what macros are. I would appreciate any help.

2. John-Miles

John-Miles Screenwriter

The 16x9 mode gives you higher resolution on anamorphic dvd's i believe about 30-40% more infact. personally i find it is a noticable difference when watching movies on my 36", however it is not earth shattering or anything. if your budget is 850 then maybe its not the most important feature you should be looking for.

3. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

4. Chuck C

Chuck C Cinematographer

I also agree that it is essential if you are into DVDs. I bet you could find an older model 36" Wega for $850, but it may take some searching.

5. Jesse Blacklow

Jesse Blacklow Cinematographer

I found a floor-model Sony KV-32FS13 (Wega) for just under $800 delivered at Tweeter. Yes, it was a display set, but the only problem I have with it (after calibrating it with AVIA) is a slight (

6. dpippel

dpippel HTF Premium Member
    Supporter

Doug
    In my opinion 16x9 capability is *essential* if you watch a lot of DVDs. And I'll have to disagree with the poster near the top of the thread - it *is* an earth-shattering difference.

There are two factors involved here. The first is the increase in resolution gained by squeezing the raster area on the TV into a smaller space. The second, and the one that hasn't been mentioned yet, is that by using the native 16x9 output of your DVD player you are bypassing it's internal downconversion of the anamorphic video signal going to the TV. The effect this has on video quality is significant. Anamorphic DVDs in 16x9 mode look as improved over regular DVD as regular DVD does over VHS in my opinion.

If I were in your position and couldn't increase my budget, I'd go for a 32" Sony WEGA or JVC flat screen with the squeeze over a larger 36" without it any day. The JVC AV32F703 is $799 at Best Buy and the KV-32FS100 32" WEGA runs $899, but it regularly goes on sale for under $850. Shopping around will pay off. Good luck!

7. Gregory E

Gregory E Second Unit

8. Francisco_C

Francisco_C Agent

Thanks guys for the advice..So for another $150 i can pretty much get what i need? that sounds like a good idea cause i do watch a lot of DVDs. Can i watch any DVD in 16:9 mode?

9. dpippel

dpippel HTF Premium Member
    Supporter

Doug

Only DVDs that are labeled as "Enhanced for 16:9 televisions". Not all transfers are anamorphic.

10. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

To add to what Doug said: Studios are notoriously inconsistent about how they label anamorphic DVDs. Some say say "enhanced for widescreen TVs"; some say "enhanced for 16:9 TVs"; some say "anamorphic widescreen"; some say nothing at all. And then of course there's the occasional disc that's labeled as anamorphic but the labeling turns out to be incorrect.

Just set your DVD player for 16:9. You'll quickly notice, when the film starts to play, whether or not it's anamorphic. If people look tall and skinny, and circular objects are shaped more like eggs, the DVD is probably anamorphic.

M.

11. Tina_H_V

Tina_H_V Supporting Actor

Tina
    Thanks a lot for the concurrence, fellas! I am about to pick up, due to sudden budgetary constraints, a 27" Samsung flatscreen monitor with the 16:9 widescreen mode available on it. I know 27" may not be much, but it will get me by as I save up for the larger HDTV-compliant monitor I look to add for my HT next year, with my intended 27-incher going into the bedroom. With a new DVD player also on the horizon this holiday season, I certainly am looking forward to getting more out of those DVD's I can get as much out of as possible. I really like the motiff of this particular thread!!!!!!
    And having tried this 16:9 mode out on 4:3 monitors, I really am jazzed up about this holiday addition to my HT!!!!!
    And also, Francisco, it all depends on which brand you go for. I did notice that some will have the option on the remote cursor itself, such as JVC and some Samsung models, from what I found. However, others, such as Sony and some Samsung models, would need to be accessed from within the unit's menu. IMHO, either way, it will be very much worth it!!!!! I am only a week-or-so AT THE LATEST(!) away from mine!!!!!!!! [​IMG]

12. Brian O

Brian O Second Unit

Tina,

Is the Samsung's "Widescreen" mode a true vertical squeeze mode or just some gimmick? The 27" non-HDTV one I saw at Bestbuy appeared to just be a gimmick as it also had a "Zoom" mode too.

I saw an Akai set at Sams Club that appears to be the exact same set as the Samsung too for a little less.

I ended up buying the Sony Wega 27" FS200 at Bestbuy for $470 using a 10% off coupon. Very happy with it.