What's new

360 update (1 Viewer)

Gary Shipley

Second Unit
Ok. I've pretty much decided to stick with the 360. I do have a question though to some of you who have probably already done this before. I plan to just get an Arcade version and put a 120 gig HDD on it, so here's my question. Once I put the hard drive on the Arcade is there anything else I need to do besides hooking it up, putting in a game and gaming? I have no plans what so ever to game online. Might seem like a simple or silly question to you but my last 360 was a Pro version and of course already had the hard drive on it. So, nothing else was required but to hook it up, throw in a game and go.

Bob_L

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bob Lindstrom
Nope. Just connect the drive and play, although depending on the vintage of the HD, you might need to get online to update the system software.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
Just curious as to why you would buy the arcade unit and a HDD separate. Isn't it cheaper to get the Elite model?

Gary Shipley

Second Unit
Mainly because the Arcade models are virtually guaranteed to have the new Jasper chipset. You're lucky if you can find an Elite model with one. And I want the newer chipset, so there you go.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
Understandable. But can't you just get a bundle with Halo 3 and Fable 2 that is a Jasper set? I thought newer bundles were all Jasper chips.

Gary Shipley

Second Unit
Not really. I've read countless reviews where people got the Halo 3/Fable 2 bundles from different merchants and they did not get the Jasper chipset. They are getting the newest bundle with the older Falcon chipset, not the newest version of the 360. And, it's not cheaper to get the Elite. The Elite sells for $399 and there is no guarantee of the Jasper. If you do find an Elite with the Jasper you are extremely lucky.The Arcade with the 120 gb harddrive comes to $350 and there is a 99% guarantee of the Jasper. And right now Amazon has the 120gb harddrive for $135, so that changes the total to $335.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
What's the difference between the Jasper and Falcon chipsets?

Gary Shipley

Second Unit
From what I've read the Falcon chipsets were supposed to alleviate the RROD issue. They did not. The Jasper apparently (at least at this point) is taking care of the RROD which is caused by overheating. Not only that, all those who now own a 360 with the Jasper claim the 360 runs quieter as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks