What's new

36" tube vs. 36" computer monitor (1 Viewer)

Thomas_Berg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Thomas
well i think i've decided to upgrade my 19" computer monitor (which i watch dvds on right now...see my webpage for details) to either a 32" or 36" tv. however, when i talked to my brother last night about this, he told me he picked up a hard-to-find 36" computer monitor for $500. it runs at 800x600 resolution (thru the computer) and can show dvds progressive scan. i'm not too sure on the specs, but what would you guys recommend me do? get a TV (i'm looking to spend $600 tops) or get this monitor thing?
i know it has VGA-in (which is supposed to be basically component-in, but better), but i'm not sure about a cable input. i'll update this post when i get more info on the imputs. opinions??
------------------
-Thomas
My HT

Oren

Stunt Coordinator
I think you should use the right tool for the job. A computer monitor is high resolution and designed to be viewed up close. A TV is low resolution, designed to be viewed from afar and much easier to use for its intended purpose.
I say get a TV for a TV and a monitor for a monitor. Otherwise you'll end up with a low-res monitor and a difficult-to-use TV.

John Morton

Stunt Coordinator
Check out this link:
Link Removed
They are Prinston Graphics Systems.
I've used their monitors in the past and had little to no problems. Their web page says it'll go to 1024x768, but recommends 800x600. Who knows, maybe it'll go higher and they've mis-stated themselves?
$500 is expecting a bit much though!!
------------------

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I suggest using your computer with your current monitor set at 800x600 for a while. If you like that, then this TV/monitor might be what you need.
However, I suspect that you'd rather keep running at 1024x768, 1280x1024, or 1600x1200 (which are all very nice on a 19" monitor).

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks