1. The HTF Tapatalk application has been discontinued. Please see the thread in the Forum Help & Feedback area for more information.
    Dismiss Notice

36" Television- Best Deal? Best Quality?

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Tim Beebe, Jan 19, 2005.

1. Tim Beebe

Tim Beebe Stunt Coordinator

Tim
    My current television is a Philips 27PT543S 27" TV that's at least 4 years old.

I have decided that it's time to upgrade. The picture quality is pretty good, but it should be simple to beat.

I have an O'Sullivan Entertainment Center, model 20366. The measurements are 37" (940mm) wide, 35 3/8" (900mm) tall, with basically as much space as I need front to back, as long as I'm not keeping it propped up with sticks. [​IMG]

My DVD player is a Sony DVP-NS775V.

I'd like to go with a 36" 4:3. I'm not ready to make the jump to widescreen yet (yeah, yeah, I know [​IMG] ). I would like something that supports 480p (is that possible in 4:3?). Edit: I also want a flat screen.

Please help me out. And of course, I'm looking for best bang for the buck. [​IMG] The Sony - FD Trinitron WEGA 36" Flat-Tube TV looks really nice, but $899 might be out of my price range.

Edit: It doesn't need to be HDTV. It's going to be used for a lot of standard cable, so it's probably better without HDTV built in.

I do need at least one component cable connection (2 if possible, but not required), one s-video cable, and at least 2 regular old red/yellow/white cable. Everything is hooked up through my receiver, so that's all it needs, really.

2. Andre D

Andre D Stunt Coordinator

Hi Tim,

Aside from the size, what are your other requirements (HDTV, number and type of inputs, etc.)? In my opinion, $899 for a 36" high def (if that was a hi def you saw for that price) isn't very bad at all.

3. Tim Beebe

Tim
    No, it doesn't need to be HDTV. It's going to be used for a lot of standard cable, so it's probably better without HDTV built in.

And the $899 television is NOT HDTV.

I do need at least one component cable connection (2 if possible, but not required), one s-video cable, and at least 2 regular old red/yellow/white cable. Everything is hooked up through my receiver, so that's all it needs, really.

4. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

David Fischer
    Don't do it. Get an RPTV.

I've got a 36" Sony Wega HDTV. It's a good TV and I'm happy with it, but I will never buy a CRT again. It's just too heavy. It takes two guys to take it off the stand if I want to change location; at least three to move it. And I wouldn't count on your current entertainment center holding a 36" Sony -- check the weight limits. My TV weighs about 250 lbs.

Moreoever, You can now get a 51" HD RPTV for less than the cost of a 36" HD CRT. I think the JVC and Magnavox RPTVs are about $1000 now!

Get a larger RPTV [​IMG]

5. TheBat

TheBat Producer

Jacob
    I am also looking into getting that sony 36 inch tv. I am not ready to get HD.

JACOB

6. Tim Beebe

Tim
    Um... I think you kind of missed most of what I said.

The reason it can't be much bigger, weight limit or not, is I live in an apartment. I'll be about five-seven feet from the television, MAX. And I DON'T want an HDTV because it will be used for SDTV.

Also, anything bigger than 27" is acceptable. Don't rule out 32" as well. Anything bigger is still a big improvement to me.

And I know CRTs still have the best picture. Why would I want a worse picture than what I have?

7. John S

John S Producer

You say you want component inputs??? In this day and age, that certanly means you need an HDTV, doesn't it?

It would be hard for any of us here, to give the thumbs up to anybody on any standard def display anymore, ever.

Sony will probably be best quality, Philips would probably be lowest price / best deal....

8. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

David Fischer
    A new RPTV will exceed your four-year old 27". Moreover, large-size direct views are not perfect. They have geometry problems (bowing at the bottom of the picture for the Sony Wega) and may have color impurity (slight discoloration at the corners, noticable on white images).

Hopefully your entertainment center is a better design than I've seen. When I looked, I didn't see any of that style that would support the 36" Wega.

As I said, I've had a 36" direct-view for the last two years, in an apartment and in a house, and I recommend against it. I would look for a way to rearrange your apartment to have a longer viewing distance, and get a 40" - 51" RPTV. I definitely would not spend $900 on a 36" analog direct-view when you can spend $1100 and get a HDTV RPTV.

9. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

If anyone is going to spend $800 or so on a new display, it'd be nuts not to go the HDTV route (even though, in this case, it would mean staying at 27 inches or so). My philosophy for 2005 is simple: Any sort of display purchased must be HD-capable (and include DVI/HDMI inputs).

10. Jerome Grate

Jerome Grate Cinematographer

I'm with Jack on this one. You will get a far better performance from not just standard definition from broadcast, but your DVD in progressive mode will give a far better picture than interlaced via component. I space is not a problem, you can get a pretty good RPTV around 46 inches for just a tad more. All being HDTV ready with high bandwith component video inputs for 480p/720p(X-BOX)/1080i(HDTV). I believe Wal-Mart is selling Phillips and RCA. They did a complete overhall of the t.v. section and they got some HD Broadcast coming in and it looks great.

11. Andre D

Andre D Stunt Coordinator

I agree with the others (mainly Jack) on the HDTV, but I disagree in regards to the RPTV. He clearly stated that the RPTV is not an option. In all honesty though, you should find out if your entertainment center will support the weight of the 32" or 36" that you plan on buying (especially with the Sony's).

12. Ralph B

Ralph B Supporting Actor

have fun sitting in the sweet spot of a RPTV.

I say keep looking!

I got my 36" Sony Wega HDTV (36XBR800) for $1100 new in box at tweeter! that was over a year ago!!!!!!!

I would like to see any RPTV come close to the quality of this set.

I just got the stand recently for $19.99 at CC. they were clearing them out. over a year ago they were close to $300. glad I waited. Sony XBR TV and matching stand for $1119.99 for this setup over a year ago was a steal! look around and I bet you can get a good deal on a older model HD set.

you would be crazy to not spend the extra and go HD. $900-1000 for a analog/digital set is crazy. I have seen the reg sonys at bb sell for $1000. who would spend that when you can get HD for a bit more ?

look around. I did. took me a while until I found the deal i got. goos time too as new models will be comming out.