36" tall speaker stands for JBL S-38s

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jo_M, Jan 15, 2002.

1. Jo_M

Jo_M Stunt Coordinator

The only ones I've found are the Bello SP-200, they hold up to 100lbs and they have a 7" top plate. Personally I'd like a large top plate but that's they best I've found. Is there anything else out there?

2. David_Rivshin

David_Rivshin Second Unit

I was once looking for similar, and called Wood-Tech (don't quote me on that, I'm not possitive it was them :b). They said that with the large top-plate option any of their stands would support S38's. Try giving them a call yourself,
    the price seem reasonable, although not as nice as the Sanus stands in design.
    I've also had the option of using 2 stands per speaker mentioned to me, which might just work and not look too
    bad.
    I believe someone in the forum mentioned using some cinder blocks wrapped in carpet (again, my memory fails me as to who), which seems like a nice cheap option. And it can also appease any cats in the house [​IMG]
    Good Luck!
    -- Dave

3. Mike D.

Mike D. Stunt Coordinator

>>I believe someone in the forum mentioned using some >>cinder blocks wrapped in carpet (again, my memory fails >>me as to who), which seems like a nice cheap option.
    That would be me! [​IMG] They sound fine that way, and it looks really cool with the rest of the way the TV and equipment rack is laid out.
    I built a sort of wooden "bench" about 30 inches deep, 30 inches high and I think 8.5 feet wide (I don't have the exact measurements here with me). Built out of 2x4s and plywood. I made it VERY sturdy, way more so than would be necessary. Wrapped it in extra carpet that was left over from when the carpet was installed in the HT room, so it matched perfectly. A sort of dark blue (actually Penn State blue, since that's the "other" theme of the room).
    The TV bench was made for about $20. One piece of plywood from Home Depot. The 2x4's were leftover from construction in the basement.
    The speaker stands for the S-38's are 4 cinder blocks (i.e., 2 for each speaker), when stacked horizontally and the speakers laid horizontally, the speakers are right at the perfect height for the (optimal) seating positions in the room. Wrapped in some of that same leftover carpet. They completely fade into the background when the lights are turned down for a movie...
    I also built an equipment rack "on the cheap". I tore apart the black TV stand that came with my 32'' Sony. Cut the flat black parts into the shape I wanted, used 8'' heights of 2x4 section to build a 4 tier equipment rack. Painted the 2x4 sections black to match the TV stand parts. You can obviously tell when the lights are up what it is, but with the lights out for a movie, it's perfect.
    It's not that I can't afford to buy these things, I just wanted to use what I had available to see what it would be like. More money for DVD's!! [​IMG]

4. Jo_M

Jo_M Stunt Coordinator

Thanks for the suggestions. The speakers are in our family room so the wife factor is big here. I've also thought about wall mounting them but that's a more perminent solution. I'm not sure I want to cut holes in the walls.

5. Danny Owens

Danny Owens Agent

I have the Bello stands with the S-38's. The top is a bit small for the speakers, but I have made an easy mod to dress them up and stabilize them. Check out the link:
    Bello mods
    Danny

6. David_Rivshin

David_Rivshin Second Unit

Just for one more data point, I just ran across the Schroers and Schroers Theta speaker stand. You can take a look at it here: http://www.uniquestylesolutions.com/...ker_stands.asp
    Quick summary: top plate is 9.5x7", can hold up to 110lbs height is only 17 3/4", made of some nice looking crystal glass, costs about twice as much as the speakers you'd put on them [​IMG]
    They do look nice, though...
    Oh well, back to the real world now...
    -- Dave

7. Jo_M

Jo_M Stunt Coordinator

Danny, looks great, thanks for the ideas! [​IMG]