36" Direct View Question

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Brett Nix, Sep 18, 2002.

1. Brett Nix

Brett Nix Auditioning

Newbie here with a question. Just ordered a Denon 3802 from 6Ave (thanks for the tip, everyone) and am wanting to upgrade TV's as well. For various reasons am not looking at projection and was interested in opinions between the Panasonic CT36HL42 vs Sony KV-36HS500 vs KV-36XBR800 vs any Hitachi or Toshiba. I'm looking for the most bang for the buck but also want a TV I won't be looking to replace in 2 years. Any suggestions? Thanks.

2. jeff lam

jeff lam Screenwriter

Jeff Lam
    THe XBR is best overall. What is your viewing habbits? Maybe you should also consider the 34" 16x9 if you watch mostly HD and DVD's, I'm not exactly sure about the HL series but the Panasonic 4x3's don't do the squeeze with 480i/p, only 1080i from what I have read. If it's true, that may disqualify that set if the squeeze is important to you.
    The toshiba 36hf72 is nice, an excellent picture comparable to the sony, no DVI though.

3. Jimmy vb

Jimmy vb Stunt Coordinator

I bought the xbr and I'm happy with it so far. The adjustable drc and the warranty are the primary upgrades over the hs. The adjustable drc does seem to make a difference and the warranty is significantly better--it makes buying an extended warranty unnecessary. I would bite the bullet and buy the xbr. The only thing I am wondering about is whether I should break down and get the 40 inch(I still have three weeks left in my 30 day window)--I will consider this next week.

Warning--you almost have to buy the $300 stand that comes with this tv. Most 36 inch stands don't fit it and it is a heavy thing. Also--the stand stinks. There is room for only two components--absolutely no way to get more on it. I had to rig something so that my cable box and receiver are on the Sony stand(use them most) and the dvd player and vcr are currently perched on the fireplace hearth--working on a solution. You may be able to find a better stand that works if you put more research into it than I did--the Sony stand looks good.

4. Brett Nix

Brett Nix Auditioning

Thanks for the tips. Primary use will be for broadcast TV - VHS and DVD not quite as often.

On the stand issue - we are having an entertainment center built, so size isn't really a consideration.

Thanks for the help.

5. John-Miles

John-Miles Screenwriter

If your primary use is broadcast tv then go buy the Toshiba 36HFX72 I have the 71 model, and it is noticably better on cable and sattilite (non-HD) feeds then the XBR. as well if you are looking to get the most bang for your buck the toshiba is much better than the sony or Panny. In all honesty I find the Sony and Panny models slightly edge out the Toshiba on DVD, but on your lower quality feeds the toshiba line doubler wins hands down.

plus i got my toshiba 36HFX71 for 1000 dollars less than the current sony XBR model.

and who really needs DVI anyway, its all a pile of garbace to control the viewers.

hope this helps.

6. jeff lam

jeff lam Screenwriter

Jeff Lam
    I agree that the toshiba gives a nices picture with cable and other non digital sources. If this is your main viewing and you think it will be for some time, maybe you should consider an analog set. Again, you will have to look into your timeline about when HD and DVD will become the majority of viewing material for you. If you want this set to be your main one for 7-10 years, do not get an analog set.

7. John-Miles

John-Miles Screenwriter

That exactly why i suggest the Toshiba HFX models, hell the price difference compared to quality is enough to make me take the toshiba over the sony even if you only watch dvd, and then add to it that the toshiba looks better on cable etc what a deal [​IMG]

8. Kent Wo

Kent Wo Agent

The Toshiba does not have DVI input. Not quite sure what that means to us yet, but we'll see.

BTW: I just got a 36hf72 along with, the totem dreamcatcher system, onkyo sr600, toshiba 3780 dvd player and stand for 3k. Not too bad for what was available here in Hawaii. The only other options in my range from B&Ms (shipping online was killing some of my orders) was the Energy 5.2 system, Definitive Tech Procinema 80's and b&w 300 series. Thanks to everyone who answered my questions and helped me make a decision.