1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

35mm Feature Film.

Discussion in 'Beginners, General Questions' started by r 57, Mar 11, 2019.

1. r 57

r 57 Auditioning

Roxanne Gjaltema
    Hi everyone, i's so happy to have found this site. I love hearing other peoples opinions of movies, and tv shows. No one I know have any interest. I'm really looking forward to communicating with like-interested people.

I do have a question though, and I'm hoping someone could point me in the right direction, you see recently 2 35 mm. Feature films in 3 reel canisters have come into my possession, I don't have the equipment to play the films, and I am wondering if there is a market for them. One of them is 1983 High Road to China, and the other is 1984 Beverly Hills Cop.

If anyone could point me in the right direction--I sure would appreciate the help.

2. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

Dave
    Welcome to the forum!
    @DFurr is a resident film enthusiast. Maybe he'll have some recommendations.

Josh Steinberg likes this.
  3. Lord Dalek

Lord Dalek Producer

Joel Henderson
    Isn't it illegal to own 35mm copies of films?

4. DFurr

DFurr Supporting Actor
    Supporter

Don
    Hi Roxanne and welcome to the Forum.
    Several things I need to ask and once you've filled in the blanks I'll have suggestions on to how to find a buyer for the films you have.
    First, the running time on each of those 35mm titles is 105 minutes. Each print should be mounted on either 5 or 6 15" reels. If either title is less than 5 reels you don't have a complete print. Please let me know how many reels you have for each title.
    Second, since you don't have any method of projecting the films or even inspecting the condition of each reel you would have to sell the films on a "as-is" condition. Film can be scratched, full of tape splices, water damage and a host of other issues. The first thing a film collector wants to know is do you detect an odor of VINEGAR on any of the reels. That smell is the kiss of death for 35mm film. Most collectors won't buy prints that are in that condition. The date of those titles are 1983 and 1984 so the color should be of the low fade film stock and wouldn't pose any "color" issues. Low fade film stock was introduced in 1983.
    I would recommend selling your films on Ebay. Depending on where you live shipping could be an issue. Just make sure you allow yourself sufficient funds paid by the buyer to ship the prints. You can ship either in the metal can (expensive) or carefully pack the reels in cardboard boxes with plenty of packing between and around the reels. Make sure the ends of the film is secure (taped) and not loose.
    On pricing, and this is tough because I really don't know what condition the prints are in, somewhere between $199-$299 each might be a fair price. This doesn't include shipping charges.
    I would make you an offer but those titles aren't one's I'm wanting for my collection.
    Let me know if you have other questions and I'll be glad to help.
    Good Luck!!!!!

5. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

Dave
  6. undeadpsyco

undeadpsyco Auditioning

Nick
    Really old thread to be asking this question on but I have a quick question for you @DFurr. I read above that you are a 35mm enthusiast. I recently came about a bunch of 35mm trailers and I was wondering where I can buy either a machine or a projector so I can watch them. Any help is appreciated!

7. DFurr

DFurr Supporting Actor
    Supporter

Don
    Hi Nick,
    There is a LOT of older used, no longer needed equipment on the market these days. You can search Ebay for 35mm projectors. You'll need not only a 35mm projector but a sound head, a lamp house and a heavy base to hold all the equipment in order to project and listen to your trailers. I would just say it's going to be expensive just to watch trailers. My advice is to not invest in equipment if your not going to get into screening 35mm features and collecting feature films.
    I'm sorry to not sound very encouraging but that's the reality of the hobby. It's not cheap and takes up more room in the house than most people are willing to give up. If you are serious about pursuing this I'll be glad to steer you in the right direction. Let me know if I can help.

OLDTIMER likes this.
  8. undeadpsyco

undeadpsyco Auditioning

Nick
    Thanks for your advice. I definitely want to start collecting 35mm features but I'm taking it step by step and as of right now, I'm just amassing a collection of trailers and previews that I think would look amazing on the format. Do you know of any nice projectors that are in the 500-1000 dollar range? I just need to start researching how much everything is going to cost.

9. DFurr

DFurr Supporting Actor
    Supporter

Don
    Nick if you can PM me the general location of where you live I might be able to hook you up with a dealer with some used equipment.

10. undeadpsyco

undeadpsyco Auditioning

Nick
    How do I pm you? Sorry, I'm very new to this forum.

11. JohnRice

JohnRice Executive Producer

John
    Click on his name, then in the menu that pops up, click on Start a Conversation.

12. undeadpsyco

undeadpsyco Auditioning

Nick
    Thanks John!

13. OLDTIMER

OLDTIMER Stunt Coordinator

Ken S-B
    For anyone thinking of taking up the hobby of collecting and projecting 35mm prints at home may I offer some encouragement from my own experience.

Over many years I amassed and projected a collection of 35mm features and shorts and found the hobby to be extremely rewarding. I presume things in the U.S. are much the same as here in Australia. Yes, features can be hard to come by and are often technically illegal, but once you become known by other collectors you become part of a “club” and swapping or buying prints becomes easy.

I started with a 1928-model Kalee cinema projector with an Australian-made sound head which gave great results. I used a low-voltage high intensity halogen light source. I also had a good quality anamorphic lens. One thing about having only one projector is that, between reel changes, you can pour your guests another drink!

It’s worthwhile building or converting a room to have a separate projection booth, mainly in order to isolate the noise of the projector which can be quite noisy.

I’ve since “retired” from my hobby but, at the time (some ten years ago), I was able to buy features at around $60AU from other collectors, so you don’t have to be a millionaire.

PMF and DFurr like this.
  14. Vinyhilist

Vinyhilist Auditioning

Eric Burnham
    I also had a question on the sale of 35mm feature films. Our theater was sold and I was given a complete copy of Good Will Hunting. I’ve seen conflicting information on if this is actually illegal to own/sale. im leaning towards it being on the gray area seeing as most are only trailers being sold.
    Is it okay to sale this copy?

If so are there certain groups on this forum that I would be able to try?

OLDTIMER likes this.
  15. OLDTIMER

Ken S-B
    If the situation in the U.S. is the same as in Australia, theatrical prints belong to the film company or agency. When a print is retired from use it must be returned, or certified destroyed according to the leasing arrangements.
    Prints that are certified "destroyed" are usually the ones that get into the hands of collectors. Theoretically they do not exist. Showing these films publicly or selling them is thus illegal since they still belong to the film company. Among collectors this surreptitiously overlooked.

Vinyhilist likes this.
  16. Vinyhilist

Vinyhilist Auditioning

Eric Burnham
    Thanks for the reply! So basically I need to procure a film projector and just have it for my viewing only, while making sure the distribution company doesn’t send out people to the viewing.

17. OLDTIMER

Ken S-B
    It's hardly worth while procuring a 35mm film projector just for one film. Becoming a 35mm film collector is worth while but there's a lot of "setting up" and becoming known among other collectors.

18. Vinyhilist

Vinyhilist Auditioning

Eric Burnham
    Yeah it does sound like a lot of setup. I was just being cheeky. Definitely not going to track down all that equipment although I am able to get it piece by piece. Thank you for al the help!

19. Message #19 of 29 Oct 11, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2019
    OLDTIMER

Ken S-B
    With a bit of luck you may get a response from somebody who reads this post and offers to buy your movie privately. But I'd be careful about advertising it publicly for sale.

20. Vinyhilist

Vinyhilist Auditioning

Eric Burnham
    I just couldn’t let the movie be thrown away like it was common trash. If someone offers great but definitely will hold onto it otherwise.