$3500 to spend and hopelessly confused

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Thomas P., Jan 10, 2004.

1. Thomas P.

Thomas P. Stunt Coordinator

Hi. I have been listening to Polk RT 1000's for the mains, Rt 800's for the surrounds, and the CS 400 for the center. These speaker get really, IMO, harsh at louder volumes. They are driven by a Ref 50 and Sherbourn Amp combo. My theater room is also the living room (I live in an apartment), it has hardwood floors, and is probably 400 - 500 sq. feet. I do want the speakers to have a real wood veneer and to look good because when people walk through my front door the speakers are among the first things that they see. I have a Velodyne spl 1200. I liked the sound of the Monitor Gold speakers I heard at Good Guy's but they are out of my price range. My dealer will give me a hell of a deal on the new Polk series. Maybe $499 - $549 for the rti 12's, for example. If you had to meet the criteria I just listed and you had $3500 - 3750 total to spend what would you buy for a 7.1 setup?

Thanks in advance for any help that you can give.

2. MikeLi

MikeLi Supporting Actor

If you don't mind doing you research here on the net. Try AVS123.com or Axiomaudio.com. There are several others like SVS or HSU for subs which really are a better deal than most brick and mortar stores can offer. I say this after having 4 subs, now having and svs and loving it.

3. Nhan_H

Nhan_H Second Unit

Hey, Mike. I think you can safely rule out Axiom in this case, since he mentioned that he wanted real wood veneer. Thomas, did you want to replace your nice Velodyne, as well?

Do check out the sites that Mike mentioned above. I'm sure they'll have speakers to your liking.

4. Thomas P.

You guy's are great. Nah, I'm not in any hurry to replace my nice Velodyne. Although if I went with the Rockets I might eventually want to get something in Rosewood. I have heard good things about the Rockets. Two caveats though 1. It's hard to find anyone in the LA area with the 550's. I have had an offer to hear the 750's and 2. Boy, that Rocket center channel is huge.

Interesting that neither one of you thought that the Polks at a approx. 40% mark off from MSRP was something to jump on.

5. gregD

gregD Second Unit

If you like the MA Gold's, by all means audition the Silver line as well... they are very close in quality to the Gold's for considerably less money... MA also makes a Bronze line one step down from that.

Otherwise, with $3500, do some auditioning.

Try to find Totem Acoustics... great sound and pretty to look at.

6. Alex Prosak

Alex Prosak Supporting Actor

Thomas,

Have you checked audioenvy or the av123 forum for people in your area with 550's? FWIW, with your proposed budget, I'd go for the 750's anyway. They do have a UFW-10 sub available in rosewood and in the next couple of months will have a 12" version too. The 12" version will have a built in parametric EQ to tame room nodes. I don't recall off hand if the EQ will be 3 or 5 band.

Alex

7. Thomas P.

Alex, thanks for the feedback. If I went with the Rockets which type of speaker would you suggest and where would you place them? I have a multi- channel SACD and DVD-A player.

8. Alex Prosak

Thomas,

Since you have hi-rez audio capability, I'd go with Package #1 (750/200/250) as a starting point. This will give you better timbre matching for the rear speakers as they all share the same tweeter. If you have the the space for floor standing speakers in the rear, I'd consider Package #0 or the 750 Ultra package too. As far as placement...can't say without knowing the layout of your room. Since you've already got a good sub, I'd wait until they unveil the UFW-12 before making any decisions there.

Alex

9. MikeLi

MikeLi Supporting Actor

I have to agree on the sub.. I would wait until you get your speakers, SPL them and your current sub and see how it sounds. You can always upgrade the sub as time goes on to the new big one the AVS is puttin out or if you cant wait... Like I couldnt a few months back, I got the SVS PB2+ and so far have been very pleased. It took the place of dual NHT's. It's possible that after getting the Rockets you may find you dont need another sub. Also before ordering the Rockets I checked out Axiom and that was one of the turn offs for me, especially in a large floorstander was the vinyl. I had them send me a sample and even though it was good, next to my real oak furniture and huge entertainment center (which I cant get rid of cause I paid a fortune for a customized unit) it did not cut the mustard as real or even close to real wood.

10. Thomas P.

HI guys, thanks for the input. I'm pretty set on Package #0.
    I can't figure out why I would want 750's for the surrounds (Ultra) as there just does not seem to be that much information sent to the surrounds. Also, why would these speakers need risers? I have never heard of any other speaker needing risers.

11. BrianMB

BrianMB Agent

If it were my money, I would go with ACI. You could get Sapphire's for the front, Protege or Essence for the center and 4 Emeralds to complete the system. All within your price range and many veneers to choose from.

http://www.audioc.com/

12. Alex Prosak

Thomas,

Package #0 should be awesome. The reason some go for the Ultra package with 750's in the rear would be if you listen to a lot of hi-rez audio and want perfect match all the way around. Personally, I really couldn't justify it either. FWIW, I don't think you can go wrong with any of the systems. I have Package #2 with an extra pair of 150's for 7.1 and I appreciate it more every time I hear it.

The risers get the tweeter more to ear level. I found my 750's to sound more open with the risers, definitely worth it to me. Depending on your sofa/chair and your height, you may find they're not necessary. I suggest determining your ear height in your primary listening location and checking the height of the tweeter before making the decision to order risers or not.

Alex

13. Thomas P.

Alex, thanks for the feedback. Brian, I went to the site and the speakers look great, but however, I want floorstanding speakers and the ACI floorstanding would be beyond my budget. I appreciate the suggestion.