What's new

$3500 and FINALLY Ready to Use It! (1 Viewer)

Zach

Agent
I know this question comes up all the time...and I've searched the forum...but because it's such a rapidly changing and dynamic world, I figured it's worth another ask.

I've got about $3500 set aside for a new set. Preferrably a rear projection...mainly for HD material and DVDs. Widescreen is a must. 50" or 60" seems right for the size of the room and the viewing distance.

Would I do better waiting a few months for new sets to come out then buying a 'leftover'? Are there some definite 'must-see' sets out there right now in this range?

Any input is appreciated and will certainly be taken into consideration!

Happy 2k5!

Oren Paul

Stunt Coordinator
$3500.00 will buy a HD front projector and screen. Can you control the ambient light?

Scott_N

Second Unit
I would take a look at the JVC 52" D-ILA. It's the one i'm going to get and I like the picture better than DLP and LCD. It retails for $3500 but i've seen it being sold for $3000 in some stores and even lower on the internet. Good luck with whatever you choose.

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
If you go Digital then the DILA JVC is the one I'd pick.

If you go CRT, then you could get something like a Toshiba H84, Mits 315/515/615, or Hitachi and bank about $1500 or put that towards a new dvd player, host of dvds, bank it for a blu ray/hd dvd player, upgrade your audio system or a host of other options. The only negative is that a CRT set is bulky. The PQ is unbeatable though for the $$.

Zach

Agent
Controlling ambient light would be a real issue. I'd say it's unrealistic. That would eliminate a front projector.

I'd definitely like to go digital...and have been admiring the Sony XS LCD RP sets at my local shop. Seems like online prices for the 60" version would be within my price range.

I'll definitely check out the JVC too.

Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks