35" wide TV in an Entertainment Center that only allows just under 36"??

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Shana, Jan 23, 2003.

1. Shana

Shana Stunt Coordinator

How much room should you allow for the sides of the TV?

Thanks!!

2. Allan

Allan Stunt Coordinator

Shana, I don't know the answer, but I am wondering the same thing since the TV I am planning on buying is 35 3/8" and the entertainment unit opening is about 35 4/8"...

3. Shana

Shana Stunt Coordinator

Allan, just seems like too tight of a fit to me. Just curious as to what TV you are buying. [​IMG]

4. Allan

Allan Stunt Coordinator

Shana-
    I was planning on getting the Sony KF32HV600. It's width is listed as 35 3/8"; I jsut measured my unit: width = 35 4/8"....

Allan

5. Allan

Allan Stunt Coordinator

No repsonses as to what amount of side clearance is necessary. Anyone? I am looking to purchase the TV in the next day or two.

thanks
    Allan

6. Doug_B

Doug_B Screenwriter

Only the front part of the TV typically has the max width. Likely that side clearance would be needed most for the logistics of inserting and removing the TV. Tight fit could increase probability of scratching the shelf, for example. The more you need to move the TV out and in, the more the hassle.

Doug

7. Allan

Allan Stunt Coordinator

Doug-
    I checked out the TV and it is only the front that is the max width. I will never (until I move) have to move the TV out since the back of the unit is open. I was really only worrying about potential for overheating....

8. TonyTone

TonyTone Supporting Actor

As many of you have found out, it is important to get the actual dimensions of the TV you plan on sticking into the entertainment center. Never go by the entertainment unit manufacturer's claims that their unit can fit "up to a XX-inch TV". Take for example the Sony Wegas--for just about any given tube size, they offer models with speakers beneath the tube, and others with speakers on the sides of the tubes. This one technicality will make or break as to whether or not your XX-inch TV will fit a unit that claims to be able to fit an XX-inch TV. I know from personal experience looking all over the place for an enclosed entertainment center--there aren't that many cookie-cutter (or even semi cookie-cutter) units that my 36" Wega XBR will fit in even though said units say they can fit a 36" TV.