What's new

34XBR800 or 36XBR800 , Please help (1 Viewer)

BrentB

Grip
After reading all the reviews and checking out the sets, I thought I had my mind made up on purchasing the 34XBR800.
Went to the store to "buy" it today and again saw it next to the 36XBR800.
I had to totally re-think my purchase.The difference is $100 between the 2 sets

My primary use will be for watching cable TV, I mean 99.9% of the time .
I have never owned a DVD or watched one other than in the stores while shopping.
(I know that they can be breathtaking when seen on a widescreen set)
I don't ever see myself becoming a real DVD enthusiast, if that is part of the equation.
I understand the small number of HDTV shows available currently, with more and more coming in the years to come.
I currently have regular digital cable but when I purchase the set, my cable co.will provide the HDTV box for $6 more per mo.

The size difference was much bigger than I remembered noticing. The Sales person, who I trust, pointed out that the 1080i is cut down to something like 960 when spread out on the 36 model. Is this something that will be easily noticed?

Is it really that advantageous to purchase the 34" widescreen model if ;
1)I rarely plan to watch DVD's.
2)What makes the 34 model so much higher rated than the 36 model ?
3)and I plan to watch regular digital cable TV 99% of the time(or HDTV down the road when A LOT more channels have it)

I have a great audio system already in place.

What, or should I say, is there a real advantadge for someone in my position to buy the 34XBR800 over the 36XBR800 when the 36 has what to me, has a much bigger viewing area?

Any help, thoughts, answers or other information that might help me make up my mind would be greatly and truly appreciated.
It's a lot of money and I want to make sure I'm making the right decisions for the right reasons.

Thank you very much,
Brent
[email protected]

Gilbert ^P

Stunt Coordinator
no matter what, i personally would stick with the 34 inch if buying new unless you can get a great deal on a 36 used. Soon all tv shows Will be 16*9 so why spend so much money on 4*3. both sets are great but for that kind of money, the 34 would be for me.

Josh Wolfman

Stunt Coordinator
I had this exact same problem 2 months ago. My final decision was the 36 XBR- the reason being was that I could not find a setting on the 34 to watch 4:3 that I was happy with. The 36 only gives up about an inch (I believe) while watching 16:9 to the 34. I have never seen a better picture!!!! I am 100% satisfied with my purchase. Hope this helps- good luck.

Michael TLV

THX Video Instructor/Calibrator
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Chen
Greetings

What is 1" more for a 16:9 image worth to you? Will you accept a compromised 4:3 image for the sake of 1"?

I'd take the 4:3 here since you will get an uncompromised image for most of your viewing.

4:3 on a 16:9 set is processed on additional step to make it fit 16:9. It inherently looks worse on 16:9 sets than native 4:3 units.

Regards

jeff lam

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeff Lam
For 99% of standard viewing, there should be no question. The 36 4x3 is your best bet. You can still enjoy DVD's at full resolution with the squeeze feature and also HDTV. With your viewing habits you shouldn't have even considered the 16x9.

Brent Hutto

Supporting Actor
We probably watch 60% off-the-air (i.e. 4:3) content and 40% DVD movies. We have a 36XBR800 and couldn't be happier with it. Well, maybe we'd be happier if it were a 40XBR800 but those are pretty huge and expensive. Back when we made our decision the 34XBR800 was about $300 more then the 36" model. Even if they were the same price (which is pretty much true now) I don't think there's any question but that 36" is the better deal all around. And BTW, that 1" difference is more like 3/4", you need a ruler to see it.

John-Miles

Screenwriter
Brent if you watch that much 4:3 tv do yourself a big favor and get the 36"

and also if you want more reading on this do a search, I know myself and Jan Strand ahve weighed in on this subject with many others a number of times... i believe last time there was word of the horse beign beaten to death... well good thing you knwo cpr huh?

stevie v

Auditioning
get the 36, i am a sony dealer/installer, and this is definitely your best bet for Your viewing habits.
sv.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation192
Recent bookmarks