What's new

Could a member please explain what I'm seeing? (1 Viewer)

Fortmiller

Auditioning
Real Name
Kevin F Miller
I've had some challenges with a new 4K set - what is going on in this snapshot?

Attachments

• IMG_6496.JPG
    IMG_6496.JPG
    74.4 KB · Views: 83

Jason Charlton

Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason Charlton
Is that an edge-lit LCD display? I assume you're referring to the vertical bands of brightness near the middle and left sides of the screens - surrounding the light-colored images on the screen.

While I'm no expert in LCD display artifacts, this seems like the sort of side-effect you get from edge-lit displays when viewing high-contrast images in very localized areas of the screen. I had no idea it would be that bad, though.

LCD displays with full-array local dimming (FALD) don't use edge lighting, instead using "zones" of LEDs behind the LCD panel to brighten or dim the picture in a much more effective manner.

I tend to think there's not much you can do to fix the issue.

Drtrcr22

Grip
Real Name
Matt
To me looks like a Samsung uhd6500 series tv oled? I can't tell what the box say tho. Is it an error box or does it say loading if it sauna loading need to hook it up to internet if possible and let the tv update or go into your setting and try to manually engage an update. I

Drtrcr22

Grip
Real Name
Matt
Addition to last. Also curved tv. Also looks like you could be in pip could be wrong check your input settings as well. Hard to really tell what's going on in your picture sorry

Fortmiller

Auditioning
Real Name
Kevin F Miller
I believe Jason is correct as far as localized lighting. Without generating a pity party or trying to "flame" I can't begin to tell you all how disappointed I am with this 2016 set. Upgrading from a five year-old LG I figured I would have deeper colors, sharper images, etc. After spending $2300 I'm subject to horrible light bleed, solid picture "banding" and a host of other anomalies. I've had everything replaced on the set including the panel.... it's just the way it is. It's just the way it's made. I sure wish I knew how they made the picture at the store look so good! I can't get a deep black on my set if my life depended on it... now I'll just wait two or three years to at least get some amortized use and then pitch it. --- maybe in 2019 there'll be something worth buying. :(

Drtrcr22

Grip
Real Name
Matt
What brand have you bought? I'm sure you have tried adjusting the back light. I have a curved Samsung and it was kinda doing the same thing your was. Had repairman after repairmen out with no avail I sent it the found a crack in the screen got a new tv problem fixed. Kinda hard to believ with today's technology there would be such a problem

Fortmiller

Auditioning
Real Name
Kevin F Miller
LG 65UH8500 --- The technician has been out three times it is one of the nicest guys I've met in any service area. Just a flat out super guy.. basically everything's been replaced including the panel however I still get dark streaks which I'm learning is vertical banding. I just don't understand why my older LG leds (mine, my mothers, my buddies) don't exhibit this problem, yet my 2016 does.

Fortmiller

Auditioning
Real Name
Kevin F Miller
Don't get me wrong, there are areas of the set which are gorgeous. The passive 3-D with the high pixel count is amazing! I guess I just don't know when I have to "accept" certain issues as "part of it" if that makes any sense

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks