What's new

How to Marry a Millionaire (1 Viewer)

maskedmala

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Maurice
Any development on this future release. I've just checked Amazon and it's still "This title has not yet been released"

Bob Gu

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bob Gudera
Well Amazon is now listing individual listings for Season 1 and 2, in addition to the complete series set.

I think HTMAM is the oldest series released by the CBS Home Entertainment/CBSTV MOD program. It has been mostly reality shows and TV Movies and "newer" comedies. So I hope this means more older stuff is coming.

Of course I should have expected this to be coming out since I bought a bootleg set, with dodgy playback, earlier this year.

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
Well Amazon is now listing individual listings for Season 1 and 2, in addition to the complete series set.

I think HTMAM is the oldest series released by the CBS Home Entertainment/CBSTV MOD program. It has been mostly reality shows and TV Movies and "newer" comedies. So I hope this means more older stuff is coming.

Of course I should have expected this to be coming out since I bought a bootleg set, with dodgy playback, earlier this year.
. What series have been released by this program?

Bob Gu

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bob Gudera
When Things Were Rotten, Cannon S-3, later Becker seasons, Dave's World S-3, King And Maxwell, TV Movies, and reality shows and some newer series I have never heard of.....There are close to 100 releases in this program.

search: CBSTV at oldies.com a three page list should come up.

search: CBS Home Entertainment, CBS MOD, or CBSTV at amazon.com They seem to show up at Amazon first. The MOD/DVD-R releases are usually listed under those studio names. Regular DVD releases from CBS/Paramount are listed as Paramount releases.

Last edited:

Bob Gu

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bob Gudera
So Amazon has released Season 1, of HTMAM. I pre- ordered the complete series version, So I am still waiting. S2 was only 13 episodes, don't understand why anyone would only buy S1.

I wonder if the pilot, with the different cast will be included?

Jeff Flugel

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Flugel
Will be curious to hear your take on this series, Bob. Familiar with the movie but not the series. Hopefully the prints are at least acceptable.

Bob Gu

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bob Gudera
I can give you my take on the show now, Jeff, as a TV series. I remember liking it when I saw it in the late fifties or early sixties and being sad when they stopped showing it.

After watching the whole series last year on a choppy bootleg set, I still like it. It's breezy, goofy, wacky, and gentle fun, similar to THE BOB CUMMINGS SHOW or MY LITTLE MARGIE. It is like a good-girl-art comic book come to life. Lots of favorite character actor guests.

The cast, Lori Nelson, Barbara Eden, Merry Anders, and Lisa Gaye are gorgeous. They look great in the fifties fashions they wear for the show, whether they are going out on the town or lounging around the apartment. Their outfits are beautifully coordinated for the black and white grey-scale. My favorite was Lisa Gaye, who I knew from her guest spots on THE BOB CUMMINGS SHOW and SEA HUNT. She was a good dancer too. (Search: "Lisa Gaye dancing", on youtube.)

There are some nice old reviews of HTMAM on the IMDB, and two reviews of the new CBS DVD at Amazon, positive for the show and mixed on the video. I'll chime in on that when I get my complete series set.

HOW TO MARRY A MILLIONAIRE was produced for NTA by Fox and wound up with CBS/Paramount, when they bought Spelling Ent, which included NTA/Republic.

Last edited:

Harry-N

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Harry N.
I had ordered the full series (S1 & 2) as an advance order on Amazon. Then I discovered that S1 had been released within the past few weeks, with S2 left unreleased at this point. This is such an "under-the-radar" series that I didn't want to miss the chance of at least seeing most of it, so I cancelled my 2-season order and ordered just S1. It arrived yesterday and I watched the first episode.

I expected a really bad set of prints, but actually, it looked quite good for a little-known show this old. I was pleasantly surprised, Images are relatively sharp with occasional dirt here and there. It's not quite TWILIGHT ZONE, but neither is it TOPPER.

Interestingly this dovetailed with my purchase of the classic 39 HONEYMOONERS on Blu-ray. You may ask what in the world these two have to do with each other, and the answer would normally be very little, other than the fact that they both have 39 episodes. But, growing up in Philadelphia, I used to catch these two programs on a new-upstart UHF station, our first real independent channel, WIBF-TV channel 29. It went on the air in 1965 and struggled with largely pre-1948 movies and a few off-network series. On Sunday nights at 9 PM, they ran THE HONEYMOONERS followed by HOW TO MARRY A MILLIONAIRE. At the time, I knew of the first, but had never heard of the second show, so it was all-new to me. I'm not sure whether it ran in the fifties in Philly or not, but it was a delight to watch this charming little sitcom even if it was on a fuzzily-received channel. So seeing these episode without snow is quite a revelation, as I've never encountered it anywhere else.

scan0001.jpg

The TV GUIDE page for the Philadelphia Edition during the week of September 19th, 1965.

If and when Season 2 gets released, I'll order it as well. Hopefully, enough of us will support the S1 release to justify them putting together S2. My personal remembrance of Lisa Gaye comes from sentimental favorite THE TIME TUNNEL when she guest-starred in the episode "The Walls Of Jericho".

15_LisaGaye.JPG

Lisa Gaye in THE TIME TUNNEL's "The Walls Of Jericho".

Last edited:

Jeff Flugel

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Flugel
Thanks a bunch, Bob and Harry-N, for the show info, and thanks esp. for those screencaps, which look fine. "Barbara Eden as 'Loco.' " Guessing she has the Marilyn Monroe part. Sounds like a fun series.

Got a kick out of that TV Guide photo you posted, Harry. Lots of good stuff to watch, just in that Sunday night block, including a SAINT episode on channel 3, for the night owls in the audience.

On a side note: Interesting to see a channel 3 in Pittsburgh...in the Pacific NW, where I grew up in the 70s and early 80s, channel 3 was always a dead channel. ABC shows were on channel 4 in the Sea-Tac area and channel 2 in the Portland area (NBC was channel 5 in Sea-Tac and channel 8 in Portland, CBS on 7 and 6, respectively). My hometown was pretty much halfway between Seattle and Portland, so I could get reception from both sides - though I had to go outside and manually turn the antenna to switch between them. Needless to say, most TV on DVD looks far better than most shows I saw growing up with that sort of reception.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Nice screen caps... but I'm really diggin' on that TV guide page! Man, I miss that magazine! When I was a kid I'd eagerly await the arrival of the Saturday mail as that's the day we got our copy (yeah... a day late, or rather half-day as mail was delivered between 11am and noon). Our mailbox was on the side of the house and I could hear the mailman drop the mail in from the den. As soon as I heard that sound I'd make a bee-line to the mailbox, snag the TV guide and pour over the upcoming week's listings planning what I wanted to be sure and watch. I'd keep the Fall Preview editions for months, but usually had the new schedule memorized well before the first premiere aired. When I moved out of the house I started my own subscription and only cancelled it when they dropped the program listings and turned it into a 8x11" gossip rag. I believe I still have a box of random issues in the garage somewhere.

Flashgear

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Randall
I also want to thank Harry N. and Bob for their input here...I have a single episode from 16 mm in my collection, from the first season, "Yachting Party" and it's enough to compel me to want the whole series...I too have a pre-order in for the complete series, but for the same reasons that Harry said, I'll revise that and order season 1 if that's all that's available right now...the lead times for these CBS MOD releases is long from announcement to availability...The girls look great in those screen caps...and Barbara Eden was almost unbearably cute in those thick eye glasses...

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Oh yeah... are these truly MOD? Some CBS stuff gets initial releasings pressed. If S1 is pressed I may just spring for a copy rather than wait for the full series.

Flashgear

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Randall
I just took a lingering look at that TV schedule...we are fortunate that most of what is listed there is available on DVD...Branded (cut), Bonanza, Perry Mason, The Saint, Honeymooners,...only Wackiest Ship in the Army is unavailable of those first run 1965-66 shows... Adventures in Paradise, Steve Allen and '50s Dragnet re-runs unavailable for the most part...good old Harry Reasoner with the ABC news...of the feature films, Mr.Hobbs Takes a Vacation was issued on DVD and on BD by Twilight Time...Damn Yankees was issued in the past but might be OOP...Time Limit is available as a nice MGM MOD DVD...and here's the wonderful co-incidence...I just watched it this past weekend! I kid you not!

(If you like court room dramas, I highly recommend Time Limit...the movie adapted from the acclaimed Broadway play and the only feature film directed by Karl Malden...Richard Widmark, Richard Basehart, Rip Torn, June Lockhart, Martin Balsam and Carl Benton Reid are the phenomenal cast...Richard Basehart and Rip Torn really shine in this fine court martial drama...it's also one of the absolute best movies ever made about the Korean War)

Last edited:

Joel Arndt

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Arndt
Yes, thanks for all the interesting info. and great screen grabs. I've known of this series, but didn't know much about it.

FYI, Betty Grable played Loco in the film, "means crazy, you know." The other character's names were changed for the TV series, Monroe played Pola and Bacall's character was Schatzie.

Thanks a bunch, Bob and Harry-N, for the show info, and thanks esp. for those screencaps, which look fine. "Barbara Eden as 'Loco.' " Guessing she has the Marilyn Monroe part. Sounds like a fun series.

Got a kick out of that TV Guide photo you posted, Harry. Lots of good stuff to watch, just in that Sunday night block, including a SAINT episode on channel 3, for the night owls in the audience.

On a side note: Interesting to see a channel 3 in Pittsburgh...in the Pacific NW, where I grew up in the 70s and early 80s, channel 3 was always a dead channel. ABC shows were on channel 4 in the Sea-Tac area and channel 2 in the Portland area (NBC was channel 5 in Sea-Tac and channel 8 in Portland, CBS on 7 and 6, respectively). My hometown was pretty much halfway between Seattle and Portland, so I could get reception from both sides - though I had to go outside and manually turn the antenna to switch between them. Needless to say, most TV on DVD looks far better than most shows I saw growing up with that sort of reception.

Harry-N

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Harry N.
I'm glad the TV Guide page was a hit. It's the only vintage TV Guide I have left. I used to save them all but one day years ago they were disposed of in a cleaning purge. Just a couple of corrections for you guys. This was the Philadelphia edition, not Pittburgh. Harry Reasoner was an anchor/reporter for CBS at this point. And channel 3 was the NBC affiliate in Philly at the time. They're still there today, but as a Westinghouse station, they got switched over to CBS, leaving NBC for channel 10.

I too miss TV Guide. It was so much handier to keep it near the TV and refer to it quickly. These days I have to rely on a smartphone to connect to the internet to find out what's on. It takes longer to get there.

Harry-N

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Harry N.
Oh yeah... are these truly MOD? Some CBS stuff gets initial releasings pressed. If S1 is pressed I may just spring for a copy rather than wait for the full series.

The discs are indeed DVD-R media. They have a purplish playing side, however, they have proper labelling with episode titles on each of the five discs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks