What's new

New Home Theater in my new home. Some questions. (1 Viewer)

kyldh

Auditioning
Real Name
Kyle
Hello,
I'm new to the forum and looking for some advice. I'm not a complete novice with Home Theater equipment in general, but I'm definitely a novice with setting up a Home Theater with wires run through the walls. I've always been in rentals where I was unable to install anything in a permanent way.

My wife and I are building a new home and I figured that I should prepare ahead of time so that I can run wire for my future Home Theater before they drywall while the walls are completely open. I will either run the wire myself or ask the electrician if he'll do it while running the power wire and Ethernet.

So, on to the questions...

1) Is it OK to cross/intersect a power line? I know I wouldn't want to run parallel, but I wasn't sure if 1 crossing would cause any issues.

2) How are the speaker wires "terminated" on the wall? Is there a plate you'd put on the wall? Let me explain my question...
Here's a random google image of a Klipsch Quintet speaker like mine mounted on the wall: http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/bb215/RTROSE_album/DSC03441.jpg
The base of the speaker sits flush against the wall and speaker cable is run out of the wall through a hole in the base. Is there a recessed plate that the wire is terminated to on the wall so I just need to then run a 2 or 3 inch "patch cable" to the speaker? It seems like it'd be a bad idea to just have a hole in your wall with some cable hanging there because it'd be a real pain in the a** if the cable fell back into the wall and you had to try and fish it through again.

3) Any recommendations on what conduit to run through the wall from the TV down to my receiver for any HDMI cables?

Any other recommendations for solutions I might not be thinking of?

Thanks a lot!

ArmSC

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Tony
Hey Kyle welcome to the forum! Let's see if we can get you in the right direction.

1. Yes it's ok to cross a power line you just don't want to run parallel to it.
  2. There are several way to terminate the speaker wire in the wall. Assuming you're using a recessed wall box you could put a face plate on it with some binding post or spring terminals if you like. You could also use a blank faceplate and put some banana plugs on the wire to keep it from falling out of the box. This way you just plug in the plugs to the speakers you mount the blank face plate or box depending on the mounting bracket/speaker weight.The other option is to go without a box and just have the wire behind the drywall. I wouldn't go this route but you could
  3. 3. I don't know what code says about the conduit but you will probably want to use something with a decent size. You'll more than likely need an HDMI and possibly an ethernet cable at a minimum. I wouldn't go too small because we don't know that standard will be out in 10 years and what the cable shape will be. I know DP ports aren't small and trying to pull a terminated DP cable through a conduit will require a good size one. Especially if you already have cables/wires in it.

kyldh

Auditioning
Real Name
Kyle
Assuming you're using a recessed wall box you could put a face plate on it with some binding post or spring terminals if you like.

Thanks a lot for the reply! Do you happen to have a link to a recessed wall box so I have a better idea of what you're referring to?

I definitely want to try to have the "cleanest" possible mounting solution. It would be nice to have some kind of recessed box where the cable is terminated and then be able to hang/mount the speaker over top of it. I've seen some speaker connection wall plates, but they looked to me like they probably required having the plate next to the speaker with a short wire connecting them. That's not the end of the world, but like I said, I just wanted to find a nice clean-looking solution.

Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks