What's new

NBA League Pass - MIA on DirecTV (1 Viewer)

Richard Gallagher

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich Gallagher
I have been a subscriber to the NBA League Pass on DirecTV since its inception, so I was surprised when I checked the program guide and found no games listed for the coming week. I checked at DirecTV's website and after searching for a while I found this notice:

We are working to have this sports package available by the start of the season.

Other than that, I haven't seen any mention that DirecTV is in a contract dispute with the NBA. Has anyone heard anything? The season tips off on Tuesday.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I haven't heard anything, but was thinking of getting NBA Pass this season, hoping for a good season from my beloved Knicks.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Looking at the website, it says you can also access the service via tablets, PCs, etc. Does it work through a streaming box such as a Roku? That may be an alternative for you, if DirecTV doesn't have it up in time for the start of the season.

I just signed up for the NHL streaming service. It is less expensive than NHL Center Ice ($125 versus $160), allows me to watch games via my Roku on the big screen TV at home and on portable devices when we travel, I can select either team's broadcast, and all the games are in high definition. NHL Center Ice limited me to watching only through our Comcast Xfinity cable service, and most of the games are not shown in high definition -- none of my beloved Canadiens games so far during the free preview period were HD, and all the games were from the broadcast of the opposing team.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
I don't get why Center Ice broadcasts in SD. Not that I usually buy sports packages, but I certainly wouldn't pay for that.

Richard Gallagher

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich Gallagher
I don't get why Center Ice broadcasts in SD. Not that I usually buy sports packages, but I certainly wouldn't pay for that.

And hockey probably benefits from HD more than any other sport. I'm a Rangers fan and I live in NY and get all of their games on MSG, so I've never signed up for Center Ice.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
And hockey probably benefits from HD more than any other sport. I'm a Rangers fan and I live in NY and get all of their games on MSG, so I've never signed up for Center Ice.
Yes, the difference between HD and SD for hockey is huge. There is no way I would pay a premium price for an inferior SD product to watch my Canadiens, even though I live out of market. I typically get about a dozen Habs regular season games on real TV, between games versus the local Red Wings, games on the CBC affiliate in Windsor (they usually show the Leafs instead) and the occasional game on NHL Network or NBC Sports. For the past couple of years I've just went the illegal streaming avenue on my PC for those games that were not on regular TV before buying the HD NHL streaming option this year. The picture quality wasn't good and I was stuck watching on a small computer monitor, but at least I wasn't paying for the crappy service.

It was nice watching last night's game versus Philly on the NHL.tv streaming service. The picture did break up a couple of times, but it was still much better than the SD picture on Center Ice. Being able to watch the Canadiens broadcast team was enjoyable, too, as I get more team information during the stoppages between plays instead of hearing about the opposing team as I would with the other team's broadcast.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
NHL TV has an option to choose 1 team to watch at a lower rate instaed of the entire league.

Dtv had the same measssge up fior the NHL as that comong soon one for the NBA.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
NHL TV has an option to choose 1 team to watch at a lower rate instaed of the entire league.

Dtv had the same message up fior the NHL as that coming soon one for the NBA.

I considered the single team option for NHL TV, but it wasn't that much less expensive ($125 vs. $100), and I wasn't sure if I would have access to everything the complete package provided -- full game replays, selection of home or away broadcasts, etc. I have already watched portions of games involving teams other than the Canadiens, so I do not think it's worth the limitation to save $25 over more than a 6 month timeframe.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
There is another NBA Pass Link which says "Prices start at just $39.99/mo for five mos." I wonder what's up with that. Five months carries you to March, but the regular season ends in mid-April.
The link I provided has both payment options. As to the five months option, I'm pretty sure the entire season is covered until the regular season ends in April.

Richard Gallagher

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich Gallagher
The link I provided has both payment options. As to the five months option, I'm pretty sure the entire season is covered until the regular season ends in April.

It's just weird that they would word it that way. It's bound to cause confusion, but now I get what they mean - they're talking about how many months it takes to pay for it.

But get this - on Channel 113 they're calling it a half season offer!

Last edited:

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
It's just weird that they would word it that way. It's bound to cause confusion, but now I get what they mean - they're talking about how many months it takes to pay for it.

But get this - on Channel 113 they're calling it a half season offer!
I called DirecTV at 1-800-GET-Sports and they confirmed that half season offer on Channel 113 is wrong and that it's for the entire NBA season.

Richard Gallagher

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich Gallagher
I called DirecTV at 1-800-GET-Sports and they confirmed that half season offer on Channel 113 is wrong and that it's for the entire NBA season.

I figured that was the case, but they still havem't changed the erroneous info on Channel 113.

I've gotten the impression that customer service has deteriorated since the merger with AT&T. A couple of weeks ago at 1:00 p.m. EDT on Sunday I wasn't getting any of my NFL Sunday Ticket channels. I called and I was stuck on hold for 30 minutes waiting for a customer service rep, who had no idea what the problem was. Fortunately, the games suddenly appeared while I was talking to him.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
It appears that we XFinity customers are getting some kind of partial preview of NBA League Pass. We're getting some of the games, but I don't think all of them. And it's in SD.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cennetkaralowa
Recent bookmarks