What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ The Quiet Man (Olive Signature) -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
John Ford's monumental love poem to Ireland, The Quiet Man, created in 1952, was a Technicolored marvel. Far greener than even the valley in his Welsh mining village, Mr. Ford pushed Technicolor for all it was worth toward a gorgeous, natural look.

Unfortunately, The Quiet Man has probably been one of the most ill-treated titles when it came to home video. I recall an early DVD that appeared to have been from a master probably used for VHS.

The original Olive Blu-ray, based upon what I consider to be an unfinished 4k restoration, with an image harvested from the original camera negatives appeared in 2013.

I found it less than stellar.

That was followed a couple of years later, by another Blu-ray, this time from Eureka! / Masters of Cinema, which bettered upon the first release, but was only available in a Region B pressing.

Now, almost four years after their original release, Olive, as part of their newly minted Signature Series, has taken what appears to be the MoC encode and made it available to us here in the Colonies.

Like the MoC release, it has gorgeous colors, beautiful densities, superb grain structure, and as a restoration...

is almost complete.

The Quiet Man can, and should be, pristine.

This is not.

Yet.

Superb extras, some from the first release, or shared with MoC.

Image - 4.5

Audio - 5

4k Up-rez - 4.25

Pass / Fail - Pass

Worth an upgrade - Yes

Highly Recommended

RAH

Konstantinos

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Konstantinos
Since I don't have a problem with regions and I just LOVE this film which I first watched some months ago and haven't purchased yet, I'll wait for direct comparisons of new Olive vs Eureka from caps-a-holic, and trust my own eyes on what I like better!:)

I'm not an extras guy and for one thing, I love Eureka's cover!

telzall

Stunt Coordinator
second star to the right; straight on til morning
Real Name
joe
John Ford's monumental love poem to Ireland, The Quiet Man, created in 1952, was a Technicolored marvel. Far greener than even the valley in his Welsh mining village, Mr. Ford pushed Technicolor for all it was worth toward a gorgeous, natural look.

Unfortunately, The Quiet Man has probably been one of the most ill-treated titles when it came to home video. I recall an early DVD that appeared to have been from a master probably used for VHS.

The original Olive Blu-ray, based upon what I consider to be an unfinished 4k restoration, with an image harvested from the original camera negatives appeared in 2013.

That was followed a couple of years later, by another Blu-ray, this time from Eureka! / Masters of Cinema, which bettered upon the first release, but was only available in a Region B pressing.

Now, almost four years after their original release, Olive, as part of their newly minted Signature Series, has taken what appears to be the MoC encode and made it available to us here in the Colonies.

Like the MoC release, it has gorgeous colors, beautiful densities, superb grain structure, and as a restoration...

is almost complete.

This is not.

Yet.

Image - 4.5

Audio - 5

4k Up-rez - 4.25

Pass / Fail - Pass

Worth an upgrade - Yes

Highly Recommended

RAH

is almost complete.

This is not.

Yet.

Image - 4.5

Audio - 5

4k Up-rez - 4.25

Pass / Fail - Pass

Worth an upgrade - Yes

Highly Recommended

RAH
Thanks, Robert. I've been wondering about this release.
For this film, I'll double dip, double down, upgrade, up-rez, whatever!

Angelo Colombus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Angelo Colombus
I wish Olive had waited and make this their first Blu-ray release instead of having two blu-rays of this film. I love this film and the extras on the this new release so I will buy it but there better not be a third release!!

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
is almost complete.
This is not.
Yet.
Glad to know that Olive's latest offering of "The Quiet Man" matches MoC; to which my copy arrives tomorrow.
Nonetheless, I can't get my head around the idea that this back and forth between Olive and MoC's "The Quiet Man" STILL has not yet rendered a completed restoration. I, too, would purchase again on the day "pristine" arrives; but I would not want a further practice to be made of this with other BD titles and purchases. "Almost complete...can be pristine...this is not...yet"; alludes to, perhaps, something already being in the works? And if so, when? Or, what will it take to finally complete the restoration? One things for certain, no third purchase of "The Quiet Man" will occur, until its once and for all done. Hopefully, a portion of the revenues from the second BD purchases will go towards the monies needed to complete and fulfill this long-overdue restoration.
Until then, I'm very glad to know that this edition is worthy an upgrade; as better is always better.:thumbs-up-smiley:

Last edited:

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Glad to know that Olive's latest offering of "The Quiet Man" matches MoC; to which my copy arrives tomorrow.
Nonetheless, I can't get my head around the idea that this back and forth between Olive and MoC's "The Quiet Man" STILL has not yet rendered a completed restoration. I, too, would purchase again on the day "pristine" arrives; but I would not want a further practice to be made of this with other BD titles and purchases. "Almost complete...can be pristine...this is not...yet"; alludes to, perhaps, something already being in the works? And if so, when? Or, what will it take to finally complete the restoration? One things for certain, no third purchase of "The Quiet Man" will occur, until its once and for all done. Hopefully, a portion of the revenues from the second BD purchases will go towards the monies needed to complete and fulfill this long-overdue restoration.
Until then, I'm very glad to know that this edition is worthy an upgrade; as better is always better.:thumbs-up-smiley:

I doubt that this will be revisited

Doesn't need much work.

A bit more registration by someone who can handle compositing, and requisite YCM clean-up.

Probably ten days work.

On the positive side, I'd bet that 99% of viewers will see zero problems.

I just believe in pristine as possible for important releases.

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
I doubt that this will be revisited

Doesn't need much work.

A bit more registration by someone who can handle compositing, and requisite YCM clean-up.

Probably ten days work.

On the positive side, I'd bet that 99% of viewers will see zero problems.

I just believe in pristine as possible for important releases.
Me, too.
But why, with 3 years in-between releases, didn't anyone take those 10 measly days to produce something all the more special?
That's a head-scratcher, for sure.:wacko:

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
Ordered at $16.99 from Best Buy (online only per site) I am a Rewards member ... shipping is free with this as the only item :dance::rock::dancing-banana-04::popcorn: ...

ORDER SUMMARY
MKT_WB_Spacer.gif

Subtotal: $16.99
Shipping: FREE
Tax: $1.46
Discounts: -$0.00
ORDER TOTAL: $18.45

Race Bannon

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jay
I will double-dip, but the tiebreaker for me is the rich set of extra features and commentary. Seems like my Olive edition is pretty bare bones.

Cranston37+

🇺🇸
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick
Ordered at $16.99 from Best Buy (online only per site) I am a Rewards member ... shipping is free with this as the only item :dance::rock::dancing-banana-04::popcorn: ...

ORDER SUMMARY
MKT_WB_Spacer.gif

Subtotal: $16.99
Shipping: FREE
Tax: $1.46
Discounts: -$0.00
ORDER TOTAL: $18.45

For anybody else who wants to order it from BB - shipping is free for everything until Dec 24th (holiday promotion)!

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
I will dispense with the previously long-winded dissertations originally posted here, as I realized that I had nothing new to add to the topic of transfers, restorations, licensees and licensors or to the accurate reviews, as written by Matt Hough and Robert Harris. I'm still the student within this forum; and, gladly, I have much, much more to learn.
______________________________________________________________________________________

THE RE-WRITE:

Quite simply, I'm in love with the upgrade.
It's a double-dip that's not to be missed.
As it is, I'm looking forward to watching it, again; and I mean within the next hour or so.
It's an upgrade that further reveals the importance of this film.
We wanted something better and Olive gave it to us.
So for all of this, let's give a great and rousing cheer to the NEW Olive and for their bringing us even closer to "The Quiet Man".

Last edited:

Cranston37+

🇺🇸
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick
I pre-ordered The Quiet Man from Amazon on Day 1 and instead of being delivered today it's sitting on "delivery in 1-2 months..."

My copy of High Noon only just arrived last week, and for anybody else it's now only available "exclusively for Prime members..."

My copy of Salems Lot is only just arriving this week...

My copy of The Fog that I ordered 2 weeks ago shows as delivering "Nov 9-12..."

My copy of The Exorcist that I ordered a week ago still shows as "delivery date pending..."

My copy of Exorcist III, which normally would have been delivered today (release day) is instead set for delivery on Friday...

This is what I am getting for $99/yr to be a Prime member? What the heck is going on over there!?

And not to turn it into a physical vs digital argument too but I've been hanging onto the physical side by my fingernails and just hitting the "buy" button on my TV is starting to look a lot more tempting...

IMG_4382.JPG

Last edited:

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I pre-ordered The Quiet Man from Amazon on Day 1 and instead of being delivered today it's sitting on "delivery in 1-2 months..."

My copy of High Noon only just arrived last week, and for anybody else it's now only available "exclusively for Prime members..."

My copy of Salems Lot is only just arriving this week...

My copy of The Fog that I ordered 2 weeks ago shows as delivering "Nov 9-12..."

My copy of The Exorcist that I ordered a week ago still shows as "delivery date pending..."

My copy of Exorcist III, which normally would have been delivered today (release day) is instead set for delivery on Friday...

This is what I am getting for $99/yr to be a Prime member? What the heck is going on over there!?

And not to turn it into a physical vs digital argument too but I've been hanging onto the physical side by my fingernails and just hitting the "buy" button on my TV is starting to look a lot more tempting...

And don't forget Mr. Deeds Goes to Town...

There has been a chink in Amazon's usually flawless armor in recent weeks. But that's a topic for another thread.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks