What's new

The Front Page (1931) (1 Viewer)

battlebeast

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Warren
I had no Idea that Criterion was releasing The Front Page With His Girl Friday.

So I had to ask, which version is better, the Kino Version or the Criterion Version? As I understand it, both versions are different...

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
I had no Idea that Criterion was releasing The Front Page With His Girl Friday.

So I had to ask, which version is better, the Kino Version or the Criterion Version? As I understand it, both versions are different...
Prolly won't know until around January 10 when it's released https://www.criterion.com/films/27903-his-girl-friday

Based upon Kubrick's "The Killing" bluray the second feature will not have much digital luvin' from Criterion as the main feature and will be whatever transfer they get (which may be the same that KINO uses)... not that there's anything wrong with that ... ;)

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Based on the specs from the press release, The Front Page may look better than His Girl Friday. HGF got an HD-level restoration; TFP was done in 2K.

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
Based on the specs from the press release, The Front Page may look better than His Girl Friday. HGF got an HD-level restoration; TFP was done in 2K.
HD level (1080p or 1.92K, I'm assuming?) and 2K (Isn't that just 1.92K rounded up?) are basically the same though, aren't they? I'm just trying to make sense out of this!

CHEERS! :)

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
It is definitely a different cut. The Kino version deposited at the Library of Congress is the version shown in the UK. It has alternate takes and dialogue. The Criterion is sourced from a recently discovered cut in Howard Hughes' vault. It is the one shown in the USA, and has not been seen since it was withdrawn from circulation by the time His Girl Friday was made.

battlebeast

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Warren
So they are still finding films in Howard Hughe's Vault? Maybe he has Greed, The Patriot and Ambersons...

Well, I guess I'll be getting this version.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks