What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Boomerang -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Boomerang is one of those crime dramas that holds up nicely, going on 70 years after its release. Part of the reason may be in its naturalistic style.

It's based upon a murder case that occurred in Bridgeport, CT, in the 1920s, but was shot in Stamford, and nearby, White Plains.

Dana Andrews, Jane Wyatt, Lee J. Cobb and Arthur Kennedy make it a pleasure to watch.

Think black & white. Norbert Brodine -- not exactly a DP who comes to mind -- but with a superb list of credits, shot the film.

Think Elia Kazan -- his second film.

Unfortunately, there are some contrast issues at times, which affect shadow detail. Yet another example of Fox having junked their original elements.

A very good film, that's absolutely worth your time.

Image - 3.5

Audio - 4

4k Up-rez - 3.25

Pass / Fail - Pass

Recommended

RAH

moviepas

Supporting Actor
This was the one that Fox in US put out on DVD very briefly then withdrew it quickly for some reason, maybe outside problems, then finally re-released it some long time later. I will never understand Fox's attitude to original elements and considering their two tragic fires in New Jersey that I know about you would think they would better try and protect their assets in the best condition but not them. I understand loads of their outtakes and clips from re-edits lasted no time before they were gone, at least in Zanuck's time.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Let us make certain that the discussions regarding care of elements distinguishes between the past and the present.

There is a superb team in place.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Let us make certain that the discussions regarding care of elements distinguishes between the past and the present.

There is a superb team in place.
There certainly is at Fox. My problem with them is their DVD MOD program, but I don't blame those that care for their elements.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks