34" tube 16:9 HDTV ready -- which one?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by EvanYeager, Jan 23, 2003.

1. EvanYeager

EvanYeager Agent

Greetings,

I want to thank everybody that responded to my previous post.

For a variety of reasons it looks as if the TVs we will be looking at are the 34” flat/widescreen tube models. These would include Daewoo DSC-34W70N, Panasonic CT-34WX52, Sony KV-34XBR800, and Toshiba 34HD82. There could be others that I haven’t heard of yet. (Feel free to suggest.)

What are your experiences (good, bad, or otherwise) with any of the above?

How trouble free are these units? I need one I can set up and expect no trouble from. One of the reasons I am not going with a CRT projection unit is that I live far enough out in the country that it is very costly to have someone come out on a periodic basis and do maintenance.

Any standout features on one model that would separate it from the group?

Thank you for all your help.

2. jeff lam

jeff lam Screenwriter

Jeff Lam
    The sony is by far the best in my opinion as I was researching them, especially if you tweek the settings and service menu a lot.

3. Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen Executive Producer

What Jeff wrote. Of the ones you listed, I liked the Sony the best when I was doing my research. On some days I preferred the Panasonic, though in the end I bought the Sony. . I thought that the Toshiba was a very close second to the 1 and 1a rankings of the Sony & Panasonic. I’m sure that you would be happy with any of the three.

IIRC the Panasonic does not have a DVI output. The Sony does.

Phillips makes a fine set as well.

The clear, hands down, (if money is no object) CRT display winner is Loewe.

4. Dan_J_H.

Dan_J_H. Stunt Coordinator

I have the SONY KV-34XBR800 and love it![​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

5. Martin Montes

Martin Montes Auditioning

LOEWE HAS GOT THE BEST IN CRTs. See other Dallasite Crippen mssg.

The circuitry is almost considered "ruggedized" and has lots of cool on screen options for naming the remotes' video inputs. I like the Calida (4:3)(35") now that it is under $2K. My other fav is Sony (bedroom) since true flat-screens don't exist in the Loewe direct-view world. Happy viewing...

Does anybody watch ER in HD? I am married to a nurse and the colors that they use for accident victim wounds is awfully real. I guess you will probably get to see some really gore-like scenes once Blade III gets released in HD-DVD
    :wink:

6. Christopher~O

Christopher~O Stunt Coordinator

I'd go with the Sony too. This was the one I almost bought, but room size had me grabbing the Sony 46" RPTV.

Cheers,
    Chris