34" the Largest Widescreen CRT ?

Discussion in 'Displays' started by LewB, Nov 24, 2003.

1. LewB

LewB Screenwriter

Here's my tale of woe:
    I want to replace my 32" 4:3 set and upgrade to HD. The set currently resides in a large (and expensive) cabinet. If I gut the cabinet I think I can just barely fit the 34" Sony CRT in there (either 510 or XBR). I'm still not sold on projector sets due to the fact that their viewing angle is sort of limited, and plasmas are still a bit pricey. Anyway, I was wondering why 34" seems to be the limit as far as widescreen CRTs go. Is it:
    • Cost
    • Weight
    • Technology Limit
    • All of the Above
    P.S.
    Lesson learned: Don't buy cabinets that surround your gear, makes aspect ratio changes a complete PITA !! [​IMG]

2. Rocky F

Rocky F Second Unit

There is a 38" tube that RCA used to use and Loewe (sp) currently uses for there Aconda model.

3. LewB

LewB Screenwriter

Yeah, I just saw that Loewe on the web, they have a magazine review on their web page that was a absolute rave. The reviewer said that the picture was about as perfect as you could get out of the box without a profesional calibration. I see it ONLY costs $4,000 ! Weighs 220 pounds too ! Now you're getting into the price range of plasmas !

4. Jeff Gatie

Jeff Gatie Lead Actor

All of the above.

5. Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon Moderator

6. Richard_B

Richard_B Stunt Coordinator

LewB,

I am in the same situation as you with buying a cabinet that surrounds the TV. I have a 32" tv and am also looking for a 34". Both Sony's are to wide, JVC, Zenieth & RCA are also too wide. What I can fit is the Panasonic, Philips, and Toshiba at least from what I have found so far. Have you looked atany of these sets? If so what's your opinion on them? I am asking because it seems to be hard to find a lot of info on 34"sets.

7. LewB

LewB Screenwriter

I saw a 34" Philips at BB the other day that couldn't come close to the Sony. Of course my judgement could have been skewed by the way the TV was set up, YMMV.
    I definitely like the picture on the CRTs better than about anything else out there.
    Another question:
    If I was happy with the size of a 4:3 32" set, will a 34" 16:9 seem as large ? My viewing distance is around 6-8 feet.
    Man, these are some tough decisions. Any one wanna buy a nice piece of Ethan Allan cabinetry, cheap ? [​IMG] [​IMG]

8. Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon Moderator

I LOVE Ethan Allen furniture! But....too late! My new cabinet is already in place and filled up! [​IMG]

Here's a way to compute the viewing size of two different sets:

Click here.

Good luck!

9. LewB

LewB Screenwriter

Mike:
    That calculator says that the 32" 4:3 and 34" 16:9 sets are about the same in total square viewing area. The picture size varies based on the type of image being displayed. You lose area (picture size) when the 4:3 shows widescreen material and when the 16:9 shows non-widescreen material.
    Amazingly enough, the guy at BB told me that the viewing area of the 34" widescreen and the 32" 4:3 were about the same. The guy was actually right ! [​IMG]

10. Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon Moderator

11. Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen Executive Producer

12. LewB

LewB Screenwriter

13. Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen Executive Producer

One more point Lew, is that the new, flat screen CRTs not only weigh a lot, the bulk of the weight is on the front of the set. This means that you really can’t have the front of the set overlap the cabinet (put another way, the cabinet has to not only be wide enough, it has to be deep enough). This also means that the cabinet has to have strong enough bracing on the front to support the front of the CRT.

14. Dwight Amato

Dwight Amato Stunt Coordinator

It is true, all of these tube sets are increadibly heavy. A good thing about the Sony 34" XBR, is that Sony has a deal right now that it ships with the matching stand for free. This is good from any Sony retailer. The stand is made specifically for the set and even has a strap in back to lock the set into place. I got my stand today and the set comes tomorrow, yehaw!