What's new

34" Direct View vs. LCD Projection (1 Viewer)

Tsutomu Ohno

Auditioning
I am trying to figure out what to get. I've probably narrowed it down to either a 34" direct view set or LCD projection (42" or 50"). Most of my viewing is DVD and some standard analog cable for some sport broadcasts. I was at BestBuy and was very impressed with the 34HS510 picture quality off of some HD feed that they were looping. The 50 Wega LCD projection was nice to and certaintly much bigger sized image! Perhaps I'm getting set in my ways which biases me to like the looks of a traditional direct view set.

If anyone was expericence with the 34" sets as their device and would like to share it, I'd appreciate it. Thanks

Danny Beck

Stunt Coordinator
Well, i've owned both sets so I think I can give some pretty good advice. :D

Back in September of last year I bought a 42" Sony Grand Wega III LCD Projection. I loved the tv and had a great time with it but in early 2004 I started to have light bulb issues and I returned it for a 34" Sony XBR910. At this point I believe those lightbulb issues are a thing of the past though.

Both sets are really nice overall. It really comes down to one thing. What is more important to you, performance or size? Both sets look very nice but the 34" Sonys look amazing. You really won't find a better image anywhere. However, if you want more size (which a lot of people do) the Sony LCD Projections are a fantastic alternative.

Just look at the size of your room and ask yourself that question. Would I rather have a bigger set or one that has flawless performance? I don't want to confuse you into thinking the LCD's have poor performance though because they don't. They look very nice. They just don't have the deep blacks that the CRTs will. If small details like that don't matter to you than go with the big boy. :)

Dan

Steven Larson

Stunt Coordinator
I just bought the 34HS510, and it has a wonderful picture. I was in the same quandry as you. I wanted the tv in my living room for the time being, as my basement is far from being the way I want it for a home theater. I didn't want a huge tv in my living room, nor did I have the funds for the LCD projector.

That being the case, the 34" Sony has a superb picture and sound. I just got the comcast hd box a week ago, and the detail on the INHD channels is awesome. Playing Xbox is great too, as are dvd's....

I plan to buy an LCD Projector, sometime in the future, when the price comes down, and the problems (like with the bulb) are resolved for good....

Steve

Tsutomu Ohno

Auditioning
Steve and Dan,

Thanks for your comments. Never having spent in the thousands for a television, it can be quite a process. My main fear is that I'll get a 34" and I'll regret the much smaller size, I estimated that the 50" RPLCD has about twice the area of the 34". I like the PQ of the direct views so I'm leaning towards that. Which would leave some dollars to put into a surround system to replace my trusty Yamaha from the mid-70's.

Tsutomu

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks